This guide explains how to transfer your TRAKTOR Collection and settings from one computer to another. Importing the Collection will also restore all the Playlists.
It makes no difference if you move from Mac to Mac, PC to PC, PC to Mac or Mac to PC.
Backing up your Music Files and TRAKTOR Root Directory
Create a backup of all your music files and the TRAKTOR Root Directory on an external hard drive or USB flash drive. The TRAKTOR Root Directory holds all your Settings and Collection data. It is located in the directory which has been set in the under File Management > Directories > Root Dir TRAKTOR Preferences.
The default location for this folder is:
- Windows XP: C: > Documents and Settings > *User Name* > My Documents > Native Instruments > Traktor 2.x.x
- Windows Vista / 7 / 8: C: > Users > *User Name* > Documents > Native Instruments > Traktor 2.x.x
- Mac OS X: Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Documents > Native Instruments > Traktor 2.x.x
Note: TRAKTOR PRO 2 creates a new Root Directory with every update. The Root Directory folder name always carries the version number of the update it has been created with. This means that you can access your Settings and Collection from previous updates by choosing the Backup files from the Root Directory of the respective version. If you have been using the latest version, make sure to backup the most recent Root Directory for the transfer to your new computer.
Transfering the files to your new Computer
- Connect the external hard drive or USB flash drive with the backup files to your new computer.
- Copy all the your music files to the desired location on your new computer.
- Install the latest version of TRAKTOR on the new computer.
- Copy the Root Directory from your Backup to the Desktop of the new computer.
Importing your Collection
- Start TRAKTOR on the new computer.
- Right-click on Collection in the TRAKTOR browser and select Import another Collection from the context-menu.
- Browse to the "Traktor" folder you backed up on your desktop before and select the file "Collection.nml".
- After selecting the "Collection.nml", a window will pop up, asking you if you wish to import File tags or Collection tags.
Note: Choosing Collection will load and apply the tag data contained in the collection (title, artist, album etc.) to all of your tracks. This is the right choice in order to exactly restore the collection from the other computer, including the tag data in your music files.
Relocating your Tracks
The Collection includes references to the location of all your tracks on the hard drive. In case the the file pathes of your tracks on the new computer differ from the original system, Traktor will not be able to locate them.
- To resolve this, right/ctrl-click Track Collection in the browser tree and choose Check Consistency.
- The Consistency Check will show you the Consistency Check Report when finished. Go to the Missing Tracks tab and hit Relocate.
- Navigate to the location on the hard drive where you copied all your music files to.
- Select the drive or folder that contains your tracks and hit Choose. TRAKTOR will now automatically correct the file path references in the Collection.
- Repeat this process to make sure that all the files contained in your collection have been found.
Importing your Settings
- Open the TRAKTOR Preferences.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the Preferences window.
- Browse to the Root Directory backup you saved on your desktop before and select the file "Traktor Settings.tsi".
- Make sure that the box File Load- And Write- Paths is not selected while importing the settings.
Note: If you use a different audio device on the new computer, you should also uncheck Audio Device Settings while importing the settings.