AAX 64 bit support

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by jackn2mpu, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

Those of us who use Pro Tools have had AAX 32 bit for some time now. Seeing as how PT11 dropped today (June 21) - when can we expect to see AAX 64 bit support?
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

I don't think we'll get a direct answer from NI here...
  3. jackn2mpu

Thing is there's nowhere else to really post about this. Lack of 64 bit AAX support is keeping me from going to PT11. RTAS and 32 bit support went away with PT11. I know Avid's allowing a dual install of 10 and 11 to get around this but that's not really a long term solution.
  4. EvilDragon

You could always host Kontakt in Vienna Ensemble Pro or Bidule, as a stopgap measure.

VEP is especially used and useful among composers.
  5. jackn2mpu

I know about VE Pro but that ends up being more expensive than the upgrade from PT10 to PT11. Tried Bidule but could never get along with it.
  6. EvilDragon

Well then you're at mercy of NI, what else can I say. :D
  7. jackn2mpu

Was kind of hoping one of the NI people that hang around here like David Das would chime in on this.
  8. EvilDragon

David Das does not work for NI, though. He's affiliated with Big Fish Audio, IIRC.
  9. jackn2mpu

Once again NI is dragging their feet on this. They should have had it ready by now - after all the sdk has been available for over a year now. NI has aax 32 bit - why not aax 64 bit? Or are we going to have to wait for Komplete 10?
  10. David Das

David Das Moderator

I don't have any insider information on AAX...we have to wait until NI gives us the official word.

My common sense tells me they're well aware of the demand, and since PT11 was just released a few days ago, that adds extra pressure to get it released. So I can't imagine it would be long. But I don't know nor do I have any info on the release date.
  11. jackn2mpu

Thanks for the reply; it's about what I expected. It would go a long way towards generating goodwill for NI in the Pro Tools community to come onboard with AAX 64 bit support as there are so few that actually have their product out now.
  12. David Das

David Das Moderator

I've heard from other developers that AAX development hasn't been smooth. So that's why a lot of people are slow to adopt it. Let's hope it comes soon.

While NI does like to keep future releases a secret, the fact that everyone knows AAX is coming makes this not really a secret, so I would assume NI will tell us as soon as the release date is reasonably certain.
  13. jackn2mpu

AAX 64 bit has been known about as a target for a number of years so it's not like things cropped up in the last few months. I know NI dragged on getting their stuff AAX 32 bit compliant and to see it happening again isn't helping.
  14. PatriotsBiker

PatriotsBiker Forum Member

I'm thinking that there has been a leak here and there about possible AAX imperfections that has caught some devs off guard. How long has Softube been ready only to find out they were not? NI was a foregone conclusion until a little while ago. One company leaked a bug and more than one other company has pointed towards last minute changes and such. I hate to say it, but I don't think this is as clear an issue as we thought it was. :(
  15. jaslan

jaslan Forum Member

This is one of the reasons why many just wait until the dust settles before devoting any valuable resources to new technologies. Many, many times, developers have tried to get others onboard early to "jump start" a new technology and then something causes them to "re-do" their work. In some cases the technology ends up being a flop and the resources were wasted.
    I have heard (and many times used it myself) the saying, "plan early, plan twice." Maybe NI is dragging their feet. Maybe they are just trying to avoid wasting valuable resources. Of course, if a new technology is a success, they don't want to miss the train either. I really don't know anything about this particular case, of course. But I do know that good businesses don't succeed by wasting money and resources.
    J.L.
  16. jackn2mpu

For NI to be late to the market with AAX 64 not only puts NI users in a bind but also users and developers of other libraries that use the Kontakt engine for their product. Heck even East West who used to use the Kontakt engine and have been using their own Play engine will have AAX 64 bit support out in a couple of weeks. So until NI has AAX 64 bit those of us who are heavy vi users are not able to use PT11.
  17. EvilDragon

As if Avid doesn't have enough **** happening with the latest iLok fiasco.

First dust needs to settle with all that. Till then, PT11 includes a PT10 licence so you can continue using 32-bit AAX plugins.
  18. jackn2mpu

First off the ilok thing is not Avid's fault so don't lay that on them or use that as an excuse. Pace/ilok admits they screwed up.

Second - we all know about the combo license but that's not an excuse for a developer to drag it's feet. Bouncing back and forth between the two programs is a pain in the arse. The sdk for aax 64 has been out there for quite some time and this stuff should have been ready.
  19. Bag

Bag Forum Member

Guys, can I chip in with a really noob question, since I'm trying PT11... so this is why all my existing installations of NI instruments etc don;t appear in PT11? I have Win 7 64 installed, but Ni doesn't work with AAX 64 bit? And the work-around is to keep PT 10.3.6 installed, work inside that, then somehow Export the results into PT11?
    Can someone please explain the workflow, if at all, of using NI VSTi's in PT11?

Cheers, Bag.
  20. EvilDragon

Yes, that's the reason why you don't see NI plugins in PT11, because there's no AAX 64-bit versions of any NI plugins as of yet.

Avid might have pushed PACE to finish the rollout of the new ILM so they can release PT11 as scheduled, which in turn overstressed PACE and caused this ****up in the first place. We may never know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.