Applying More Than 16 Slices to Groups

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by bgonz, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bgonz

bgonz New Member

How can I apply more than 16 slices to another group? Say I get 20 slices. First 16 to the first group...got that. Then the left over 4 slices I want to apply to another group.

I go back into "Sampling" and "Apply to" and hit another group. But no luck. Soon as I leave Sampling mode it has assigned the first 16 to the second group so I have identical groups.

I found the thread below but didn't help. Tried the directions for about 40 minutes. Said I had to use Pad Mode but wondering if it changed since 1.7. No luck in manual either. Thanks.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120351
  2. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

I just found out that you can apply 32 slices per pad by using the "apply to" feature. Then go into pad mode and use the buttons over the right display to move to access the other slices. You must be in keyboard mode. (forgive me if the explanation is a bit off...I haven't spent much time with this feature)

if you are trying to specifically split the remaining slices to another group....I'm not sure if the way I'm doing it would be the best way and I'd love to see how others are doing this once the "apply to" as been selected but my guess is that you'll need to duplicate the first group to the new group where you want the remaining slices and then manually delete the first 16 slices.
  3. bgonz

bgonz New Member

I follow you loud and clear. Only when I go into Pad Mode I dont have the option you speak of over the right screen. The four buttons are lit up over the right screen and when I hit them they change the "base key" which changes the pitch of the samples.

Any ideas?
    ---
    found the answer to this from another post. apparently you can only access more than 16 note slices using the keyboard option. not the apply to group option.

-----here is from Saint Joe:

you can't do it that way, maschine groups only have 16 sounds/pads in them. If you want to use more slices you need to slice to a pad instead of to a group so that it can be in keyboard mode and access more notes.

You will not get past the 16 sound/pad limit in Maschine if you want your slices to be on their own pads then you're limited to the 16 slices.
  4. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

Yup so using the apply to pad you can actually have up to 512 slices in one group.

Things got a little confusing for me when I was trying to move three chops from my first group over to a second group. It seemed to me that once "apply to" was selected it was a bit of a challenge to get specific chops from the first group over to a second group or even to a different pads for that matter.
  5. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

Maschine will allow you to have up to 32 slices in split mode (even more in detect). If you want to apply the slices so that they are each on their own pad, from the slice screen you can use "apply to" on button 7 and it will allow you to assign the set of 16 slices that are in focus to a group.

You can have slices 1-16 on group A and 17-32 on group B etc. You just have to go back into the slice screen after applying the first set and use the page arrows to the left of the LCD. This will toggle between the fist 16 slices and slices 17-32. The "apply to" function will apply the set of slices that has focus to the group you select.

It would be nice if it stayed on the sample slice screen after pressing apply to to speed this up a bit. Not a big deal though. Would also be cool if there was an overlap mode so the slice start end points could overlap when in the slice edit screen (button 5).
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

If you want a specific slice, hit apply to...but before you hit a group, click the button next to "apply to" on the right screen, it says "single", when this is enabled this will put that specific slice you have highlighted on the next open pad in whichever group you choose.

It's a really great way to grab only the slices you want instead of always having to put all the slices in a group/pad. :D
  7. bgonz

bgonz New Member

Hey b-righteous - yeah that's exactly what I was trying to do. I get to the second batch of sounds in Slice and I hold "Apply To" and then hit an open Group. When I go to that group it has the sounds 1-16, not the second batch.

How could I be doing this wrong? So simple. HAHA. Is there some where to make sure they are selected when in Sample mode? Any tips appreciated.
  8. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

My bad. I remember it used to work. Maybe a bug or I recall incorrect.

Oh well.
  9. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

This is exactly what I was looking for...I'll look into this the next time I have Maschine open. Thanks for the response. :D
  10. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

@Saint Joe Ok...just try to move a single sample using the method you described above and it works great but there's one problem. It copies the chop over just fine but it also duplicates the rest of the sample....the chop regions are set to just the sample I wanted but the entire sample is also present. I was hoping that this method would bring just the slice region so that if necessary I could re-chop the slice but when I press slice all of the slices show up from the previous group. How would you approach this?

Edited: Never mind I just truncated the sample...LOL duh. :D
  11. saintjoe

Anytime you chop in Maschine, this is what it does, it basically just sets the start/end of each pad to a specific region, allowing you to go back and edit, it's non destructive.

You don't need to trunctate as it just references the sections from the original sample. It's not like an mpc where you have limited ram and the need to save memory :cool:

But yes....truncate is there and useful in certain situations if you wish to use it :D

I have never truncated when chopping, but maybe if I have a large sample and I only want to work with/chop up a specific section...then I may use truncate.
  12. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

^Definitely. I would normally not have a need to truncate but in the situation at hand I wanted to chop the slice that I moved for the original group (source sample was huge) and truncate allowed me to slice the slice (hope that makes sense :D ) Thanks a bunch for your insight bro. ;)
  13. saintjoe

Yep....that's exactly what I was talking about when I said there are times when I would truncate :)

totally understand ya bruh lol
  14. topaz

topaz NI Product Owner

when applying more than 16 slices sound midi settings when right clicking on a sound is invaluable. this way in live you can route separate midi channels with multi outs to individual channels using external instruments. fiddly but works.

there should be a much easier page for midi and audio routing in maschine.
  15. jobro

jobro Forum Member

More than 16 slices on Mikro

I'm having a bit of an issue here. How do you access slice 17 - 32 on Maschine Mikro?
  16. shothole

shothole New Member

I have the sample problem on a Maschine Mirko... can any explain how to access slices 17 - 32?

To work around I have manually pulled slices 17 - 32 individually into a new group, but i would like all 32 slices in the one group!

Any help would be great