1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

can a group have more than 16 sounds?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by apricotandpearjam, Apr 21, 2012.

1. apricotandpearjam

apricotandpearjam Forum Member

Hi.

I'm new to maschine and come from an MPC background where one program could contain 64 samples/pads.

If one group on maschine is only 16 samples then this means i can only have 2 'programs' open at one time?

I used to love being able to loads loads of programs and add sounds from various programs to make a beat.

I kinda want to be able to do the same with maschine.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
  2. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

You can stack samples on each note of a sound
  3. apricotandpearjam

can you please explain how?

all I'm trying to achieve is building sets of 4 banks (64 samples) of sounds and saving them as 'kits.'

thanks!
  4. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

2 steps of instructions:

1: dude read the manual !

2: look in the pdf file and search "sample map"
  5. THE WIDOWMAKER

wow Kenny you must have been touched up by a Maschine rep or something - what's with the hate dude?

what questions have you got that you need answering? i would be happy to help.
    i find the forum a very different place from what you spell out but perhaps that's because i have a very different way of talking to people and don't feel the need to compare MPC to MASCHINE - who knows.

ps. what is this method you mention above where you can only use 1 pad mapped up with sounds ? perhaps your maschine works differently to mine.......... can't say i have had a problem yet where i cannot make as many pads as i wish to contain maps of files.......
  6. THE WIDOWMAKER

yeah I hear what you are saying but it never had time stretch, they never proclaimed it would have - you must have known this before purchasing. anyway i don't want to get into an mpc vs maschine has or has nots, there is plenty of that going on across the forum and that's not why i come here and it certainly doesn't make my forum experience enjoyable, plus i never owned mpc so can't really comment...

I know there are limitations and some missing "ideal tools" but there are also many many things that are cool - pretty sure the wish list for most people will arrive but in good time.

There are some self righteous **** on here I know that much, TBH i have from time to time told people to read the manual also but that's generally when it's something ridiculous like "where is group A volume OR how do i load a sample" etc LOL. anyways - i know my way around maschine pretty well and if there is something you don't know i would be happy to try to help, no guarantee ;-)
  7. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

Please ignore Yaren in the future or any newcomers that resemble his posting style.
  8. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

You can save a group separately. Use 4 groups and get 64 samples. Or use one sound and add samples to it's map. When assigning multiple samples to one sound, you can bank through the samples from pad mode using buttons 7-8 above the lcd. All this is in the manual.
  9. apricotandpearjam

i hear you all.

i think i just find it simply frustrating and limiting that machine can only hold 128 sounds during the process of making a song.

realistically it should have 4 to 8 banks of sounds PER group.

this is an obvious evolution to me and would mean i can save all of my old MPC pgms (64 sounds) as 1 group and never feel like I'm running out of groups!
  10. DJ Hellfire

DJ Hellfire Forum Member

You can store up to 128 samples on a single pad with maschine by using the mapping feature described above. 128 samples on each of the 16 pads in all 8 groups. Do the math! :cool:
  11. apricotandpearjam

sure. but you can only stack or layer the sounds right?

you can't have 'banks' of 128 sounds on each pad can you?
  12. THE WIDOWMAKER

need more than 8 banks (can't see why) - run it as a vst and have as many banks as your PC or MAC will take . happy days
  13. DJ Hellfire

DJ Hellfire Forum Member

Wrote this in your other thread:
    So basically, with the mapping, it's more like creating a 'patch' on each pad. It's like loading up a VST violin instrument for example, except that instead of each key having a different note of the violin, you can make each key have any drum sound or sample you want. And this is all on a single pad. You access the different sounds by putting the pad into keyboard mode just like you would an instrument. It's the same as loading a percussion patch in Reason for example, where a single patch has several different drum sounds. In the case of Maschine, 1 pad is basically equivalent to 1 Reason module. I forget exactly how many sounds it can be added to the map, but it's either 108 or 128, which can span across your entire keyboard as well. The manual tells the exact number that can be used. Exit keyboard mode for that pad and load a bunch more sounds onto the next pad. It's basically the same as building MPC programs.
  14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Or if you want the added flexibility of having single samples on each Sound, create your "banks" of 16 samples per Group and save them as "Bank A", "Bank B" etc. (or whatever) and then just load them as and when you need them.
    Suppose it depends what you want this functionality for and how many samples you need simultaneously in a track.
  15. DJ Hellfire

DJ Hellfire Forum Member

I used to load hundreds of sounds in my MPC at once, but the load times got on my nerves. So I just load samples as I need them! With Maschine it's great because you can load in samples as the beat plays, which allows you to only load sounds that fit the current beat more efficiently than an MPC.
  16. apricotandpearjam

yea i like both ways of thinking.

i like being able to load sounds individually but i also want to be able to save 64 sounds in one batch somehow like i used to on the MPC.

i get the mapping idea.

basically behind each pad there is a keyboard mode which allows 128 sounds.

to get to this you simply go to the pad then go to map mode in sampling?

its kinda written all over the manual in various places.

is there somewhere that explains this style of drum mapping behind a pad in more detail.

firstly.. obviously this means loosing the 16 levels (keyboard mode) of each pad?

secondly... my midi keyboard seems to always be in keyboard mode to whatever pad i have currently selected.

although this seems like a pretty useful feature, is there a way to turn it off when you want to use the keyboard for its internal sounds, not for midi?

thanks again for taking the time to explain this to me!

much appreciated!
  17. THE WIDOWMAKER

drum mapping is simple:
    simply enter sampling mode on a pad, press the "map" and it brings up the keyboard screen.

drag files from your browser on the left onto the virtual keys in the map screen.

each note can hold a different sample so you can have 128 i think.

then when happy - exit map mode, right click on the sound tab/pad and select save as -

place in location and voila - exactly the same if you want to create your own instruments to play.

i don't think you lose the 16 velocities, why would you. the velocities will run on the pad (not the file located inside the pad) so if you are on lets say kick 100 out of 128 - then the velocities will be there for you.

so far as your keyboard goes - set maschine midi to receive on specific channels as ooposed to omni - or set your key board to only transmit on certain channels, maschine will receive midi if the pads selected

i think its called set sounds to receive midi channels in the maschine window. this way pad 1 is midi channel 1, pad 2 is channel 2 etc.
  18. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

It seems that you do, but if you didn't care about velocity, you could actually map 16384 samples per Sound if you wanted and had the patience. Just like there are 128 levels of pitch, there are 128 levels of velocity you can map to.
    Downside would be you'd likely have to use step mode to access them (by changing the input velocity). That and it's a bit ridiculous. :p
  19. apricotandpearjam

thanks guys.

just one more question:

how do i navigate up and down pad banks/octaves from maschine when using 128 sounds?

cheers!
  20. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator

Explained that on first page.