Can I add 'Comment' tags to a WAV or AIFF file?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by scrubz, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrubz

scrubz New Member

Just wondered if this was possible anyway just want to add and read some notes in the comment field when I am using the files. Possible?
  2. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Yes it is, however that data will be saved inside the collection file and not in the file directly.
    That means if you reinstall Traktor or want to use the files (including comment) on another computer you need to right-click on Track collection, then "export collection" and import it on the other computer using the same menu.
  3. scrubz

scrubz New Member

Great Stuff - Thanks Ali!

How do I actually go about writing something in the comment field?
    I can't see any edit option when I right click the file in the track collection
    or playlist - not really sure what I should be looking for since traktor has a
    strange choice of names with regards to certain options.
  4. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Just double-click the comment-field and then you get the flashing pipe (edit-mode)
  5. scrubz

scrubz New Member

`cheers Ali,

Unfortunately double clicking the comment field does nothing - it doesent go into
    editing mode. I looked in the preferences to see if something needed ticking to enable
    this function - but can't see anything. I am unsure of why I am enable to do this..
  6. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Do you use Traktor 3 or Traktor Pro?

No settings have to be set to be able to edit these values.

Try right-clicking on an entry and then click "Edit".
    Can you edit values in that window?
  7. scrubz

scrubz New Member

Aha! Thanks Ali right clicking and selecting edit did the trick. Cheers very much -
    using Scratch pro. Can't believe I never saw 'edit' before.. another schoolboy error! :)
  8. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

I didn't try with AIFF files. For MP3, WAV and FLAC Traktor writes tag data not only into the collection but into the audio file as well. So even for WAV and FLAC all information about the tags as well as cue points etc. move along with the file.

Rainer
  9. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Just for the record: works with AIFF files as well.
  10. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Thanks rainerh.

I might have found the solution to your inline-editing problem.

You need to have checked the "Allow inline-editing in list window" setting in Preferences->File Management
  11. Jens Timmermans

Jens Timmermans New Member

Hmmm... Now you got me curious. I am trying to add tags to WAV files because I still have problems with FLAC files (begin of files are not loaded / skipped). But I made some WAV files in 1.1.2 and copied them to my 1.2 beta system. Well, absolutely no tags, cues, stripes or whatsoever...

Maybe a tutorial?
  12. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Hi Jens,

as far as I know the problem of the skipped beginning of the file shoud be solved in 1.2RC2. Does it work for you as well?

RIFF files (WAVs are RIFFs) have some standard tags like artist, comment etc. For all data where a standard RIFF tag is available Traktor uses those. For other information Traktor uses a proprietary TRAKTOR4 tag as Traktor does for MP3s.

I didn't try yet creating the tags in 1.1.2 and then move the files to 1.2. Will check this. When using a hex editor to open a WAV file you can see the tag data almost at the end of the file. So the information is there.

Writing the tags into WAV files takes a bit longer because Traktor first creates a temporarily copy of the source file, writes the changed tags into the copy, then deletes the original file and finally renames the copy back to the original filename

Rainer
  13. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

From my understanding of RIFF-files, meta-data can be included either by using the list chunks INFO or exif.

Which one does Traktor write/read?
  14. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Traktor uses the RIFF info chunks (IART, ICMT, etc) and the Traktor specific information is stored in the NITR field (not in the TRAKTOR4 field as I said earlier)

Rainer
  15. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Ah thanks, but what is the NITR-field?

I only found the following fields:

'IARL' ArchivalLocation
    'IART' Artist
    'ICMS' Commissioned
    'ICMT' Comment
    'ICOP' Copyright
    'ICRD' DateCreated
    'ICRP' Cropped
    'IDIM' Dimensions
    'IDPI' DotsPerInch
    'IENG' Engineer
    'IGNR' Genre
    'IKEY' Keywords
    'ILGT' Lightness
    'IMED' Medium
    'INAM' Title
    'IPLT' NumColors
    'IPRD' Product
    'ISBJ' Subject
    'ISFT' Software
    'ISHP' Sharpness
    'ISRC' Source
    'ISRF' SourceForm
    'ITCH' Technician
  16. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

NI = Native Instruments TRaktor, the field where for example Cue Points are stored.
  17. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Ah I didn't know custom fields were possible as well.

btw. lol at your post-count.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.