1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Core tutorials?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Creature, May 14, 2012.

1. Creature

Creature Account Suspended

I'm trying to get through manual. Hard. Need help. How to make formant oscillator, like the 8-ramp primary module, but wíth triangle, saw, square, sine and impulse. And 12 pieces instead of 8.

I am crying in puke.
  2. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

Not what you want to hear, but I'd suggest if you are struggling with the manual, that project might be a bit advanced for you...?
  3. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Yes, dsp is hard.
    I'm confused. Which do you need, a formant osc, a multi-ramp osc, or a multi-wave osc ?
    Or is it one huge selector where you can chose from formant, multi-ramp, tri, saw, sqr and sine ?
  4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

Or is it a formant oscillator followed by a 12-stage envelope? o_O;
  5. lhaymehr

lhaymehr Forum Member

Or in other words, Formant osc needs to have sine oscillators to sound right, otherwise you'd get something...well, silent with square waves and distorted and off pitch with saws. Just off the top of my head.
  6. Creature

Creature Account Suspended

Yeah, well it's like the ramp module except you can control the number of ramps, preferably up to 12 instead of the primary module's 8 - and it should have sweepable tri, saw, sqr, or sine amplitude modulation, and be compitable with all kinds of waveforms.

It obviously shouldn't be full of square noise, which is what I see in the microscope when I try to this manually with primary modules. I think because of the black 'A' ports it can't do it fast enough, which makes it sound distorted or downsampled, like Ihaymehr pointed out. That's why I need to do it with Core technology - it doesn't care about control rate.
  7. colB

colB NI Product Owner

What do you mean by this ? 'compatible' in what way?
    The black ports are audio rate, so they are definitely fast enough - this is really VERY basic Reaktor stuff, please try again to read the manual, it will help you a lot more than we can with all the basic knowledge that you need.
  8. chocolatedaddy

chocolatedaddy New Member

There are a couple of very good tutorials by the fellows at macprovideo.com. One I would recommend is called reactor revealed. It goes into macros modules and pretty much everything but the core stuff. If you really are finding the reactor limiting you, check out core NI Kore. They have a great 350 minute tutorial on it. It is kind of like the mothership of all the NI komplete intsruments. Either way, it will help you sort some things out and maybe give you some fresh ideas!
  9. sowari

sowari Moderator

the Reaktor Tutorials do seem to be good just watched the three tutorials on building a sampler with Trigger and Hold functions.

but are you getting mixed up with Core and Kore?

fyi, Kore has been discontinued by NI.

sowari
  10. chocolatedaddy

I did find it confusing at first, but yes I understand you mean core components that make up the larger modules etc. I was looking at what kore did, and it seems as deep as the core's functionality. I'll check it the tutorial and figure out a bit more.
  11. colB

colB NI Product Owner

'Core' is a layer of functionality within Reaktor. It is a very low level programming environment in which the code is compiled (primary level is more like an 'interpreter'). Core is a bit like DSP machine code.

Kore is not part of Reaktor. It was a very 'high level' concept, an attempt to unify different software (and hardware?) components into a more integrated digital studio. e.g. You had a library of sounds, and they could come from different synths, but you didn't need to think about the synth - just pick the sound and use it.

Core and Kore are at different ends of the spectrum in terms of how they function and what they are for. I think it was a mistake of NI's to give them such similar names - it just caused confusion. Particularly since both technologies are somewhat unusual and difficult to describe and to classify.

What Kore does is completely different from what Reaktor does. It really doesn't make sense to suggest that a person should try Kore as an alternative to Reaktor - that's like suggesting to someone who is learning game programming in c++ that they should try an x-box as an alternative.
  12. chocolatedaddy

yah I went and checked out that tutorial. It was interesting but not quite what I expected. I read kore adds that made it sound like it was the program that the others were built on. I had just watched a reactor tutorial, and jumped the gun. Def not as cool as reactor. I am an old modular synth guy, so this software modular stuff is very exciting. But anyone programming in c++ could use an xbox break.