dear NI, your website causes anxiety

Discussion in 'NI Website and Forums' started by BenHoward, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BenHoward

BenHoward Forum Member

If you were faced to confront the reality of the combined result from all of the frustration this buggy flash website has caused people, it would start to look like a public health issue.

Listen to your people.
  2. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community Man NI Team

We should add a health warning at the bottom.

In all seriousness, plans are afoot for an overhaul of the site and it won't involve Flash. I don't have a time frame to give yet (it'll be a while) - but I just wanted to let you and others know it's on its way.
  3. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

That's good - Flash is dead anyway. It is a big target for the cyber-bandits and the development focus for Windows 8 will move to HTML5/JavaScript so eventually that will be the best platform. By that I mean, the volume of developers will drive the generation of nice tools for that platform and the JavaScript engines will get more optimization and performance.
  4. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

5. vision-m

vision-m Forum Member

and just WHEN is this going to happen? the website is simply terrible. it is extremely slow, the navigation bars and buttons appear and disappear seemingly on random (blur on mouseout is a stupid idea), its simply horrible. i have not been on the site for ages, missing new product intros (which no one seems to tweet on the official ni tweet, or did i just miss them?) and when i want to browse the new products is excrutiatingly, painfully slow and uncomfortable.

no one needs a flash based navigation. no one wants it. its hell. please. please. PLEAS ME! ...:S
  6. vision-m

vision-m Forum Member

it seems with every update the site is getting worse.

i can not listen to any demo tracks anymore in firefox since i always get error messages like this:

jPlayer 2.2.16 : id='jquery_jplayer_audio' : Error!

jPlayer's Flash fallback is not configured correctly, or a command was issued before the jPlayer Ready event. Details: this._getMovie(...).fl_play is not a function

Check your swfPath option and that Jplayer.swf is there.

Context: typo3conf/ext/ni_assets/Resources/Public/Js/Jplayer.swf

and yes, firefox and flash are updated.

so annoying.

:angry: :confused:
  7. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

I just got this and don't understand at all what I'm supposed to do
  8. clementshawes

clementshawes Forum Member

I can no longer log in to my account with Chrome (MacBook or iPad), User libraries are prone to 'freeze' while loading.

Why not just port the site over to WordPress - far more responsive, less maintenance for you guys ;-)
  9. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

I don't know if anyone is listening here :)
  10. clementshawes

Only here? ;-)
  11. BiCho_Tf

BiCho_Tf Forum Member

The site is now based in HTML5, ain't it?
  12. clementshawes

I think it tries to be - I'm not sure if it's actually HTML5 or a hybrid/mashup pointing at a HTML5 method.

They, NI, seem to be using HTML5 tags but with some attempt to legacy HTML 4 attributes. The site doesn't validate (which I thought was an EU/US requirement when doing business with those countries - WCAG and US Section 501).

I think they've aimed to remove the Flash content and replace with Web2.0 widgets etc.

Either way, in many ways, it's a lot better than the Flash (my MacBook doesn't 'scream' when I load NI product pages) but in others, some things aren't working (I can't log into User Library or My Account using Chrome).

Obviously I speak for myself, YMMV.
  13. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

I just wish I knew what this jsplayer BS was.

I switched to opera because FF has just gotten nearly unusable and so far it's really the only headscratcher I've had. Would love to get some more info on if there is something I can do or if NI needs to fix it.
    ---
    Yeah, looks like the more I dig, the more it's an NI problem. So, if I want to listen to demos on NI stuff, it has to be something other than opera.
  14. clementshawes

If you're using a Mac then you'll get problems on some models while trying to play any Flash content (if NI use JSPlayer to embed any flash content, or emulate Flash content...)
    If Windows, or indeed even a Mac, and you have an NVidia chipset then you might take a look at updating graphics drivers; I'm on a limb here but I've had/have a lot of issues with SWF content (Flash videos) when using NVidia (on a Mac for me).

I'd need to take a look at the source code but there are issues with various JavaScript player scripts and the way the media files are specified in the source; again, I'm on a limb here and could be talking out of my proverbial but if any of the above rings true, take a look for driver updates and/or if there are any patches for your browser.
    I find Chrome stumbles on media-rich content from time to time, this is due to it using OpenGL to try and render using your graphics card - this can put a bit of a strain on your graphics card as/when Google update their browser (silently, you never know that your browser is updating...) to use newer OpenGL when your graphics card and/or OS framework is using older code/scripts/drivers.
  15. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not on a mac but I do have an nvidia.

It says "2.2.16" which is an older jplayer version. I've zero percent clue about this stuff, but NI should be able to update pretty easily I'd think.
  16. clementshawes

17. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

bump

Opera 16, can't listen to audio examples, jplayer error. I know NI can fix this :mad:
  18. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

Still bumping this, I guess I'll open up a support ticket :(
  19. GearN00b

GearN00b NI Product Owner

Over two years later it's still terrible. If a vid doesn't load for me I generally just look for it on youtube. No idea why a youtube video fails to load on a website.