disable dfd in kontakt 4

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by JON NI, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JON NI

JON NI New Member

most instruments automatically load in dfd mode then i have to wait to convert to sampler. i want new instruments to load directly to ram (sampler mode) not dfd. how do i do this?
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

You do not want to do that - unless you have tens of GB of RAM (like 24, 48) or if you load fairly small instruments.

You have to go to Edit mode (click on the wrench), then Group Editor, then click on Edit All Groups, and then in the Source module, where you see DFD, click on that and select Sampler. But I do NOT recommend it.
  3. IlMolto

IlMolto Forum Member

Why would you not recommend it? And when you say fairly small instruments, how small are you talking?

By the way I think Jon wants newly created instruments to be in sampler mode. So to do this, create a new instrument, change it to sampler mode and then save instrument as default. Then every time you create a new instrument it will have the same settings as the one you saved as default. You can even add common modules like filters, LFOs and envelopes. Even automation assignments will be saved in the default instrument.
  4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

If you don't have 12 GB of RAM or more, I do not recommend loading any instruments (especially orchestral ones) in sampler mode (unless they use TM or BM which of course needs all samples to be loaded to RAM). Simply because loading is much slower (even though that's alleviated in 4.1 now with background loading).

And you get more instruments to load when you use DFD.
  5. Frank @ NI

Frank @ NI NI Product Owner NI Team

Hi,

You can overwrite your default NKI with any setting you like. you can also add attributes to your default NKI such as author name and every instrument you create will have the setting from the beginning.
    Locate the file "kontakt_def.nki" in your user folder and overwrite it.
    Actually, there is no obvious reason for sampler mode, except you want to modulate loop parameters.

best,

Frank
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.