1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

DM2 Works with Traktor !

Discussion in 'DJ Studio 1.0 - 2.6 / DJ Player / DJ Mixer' started by neodjandre, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

I finally got a dm2 controller from ebay for $20. If you don't already know then visit this site for more info www.synth.biz

The thing is that it works pretty well with T2. It is fully customisable and you can send multiple midi events (I will make my own presets after my exams , i.e after 24th of June).

The scratch rings work pretty well ! The crossfader can't be compared with that of an external mixer but nevertheless it does the job. Don't forget by using DM2 you utilise all the advantages of a midi controller..
    -sound is kept digital at all times
    - you can save,edit, recall midi events with traktor's recording feature etc...

The only problem now is that I want to use my pocket dial along with dm2! I already have some ideas but if anyone knows an easy solution just say it !!

If you have any more questions about Dm2 don't hesitate to ask. For $20 it worths the shot!
  2. tk32

tk32 Guest

great

i'm glad you had the guts to just go out and buy one

i'm really trying hard to get one on ebay.

i live in London UK, and the best deal i can find is £30 (GBP) + £20 to have it shipped from the USA

£50 is not so cheap considering all you yanks can buy them for $15-20 (which is equivalent of £20-30)

anyway.. i think the idea is wonderful, and i'd love to chat with anyone using them already.

it's a shame about the poor crossfader... that is one of the key things i wanted on a midi controller.

as soon as i get mine i'm gonna remap the settings.. i appreciate what Keith Crosley has done... but i don't think he's made the most of the potential

anyway, perhaps i can comment more when i get a set

one last question.. do they require their own power supply??
  3. kris_Tf

kris_Tf New Member

Hello mate,

what connecter has it got on it and where do you plug it.
    looks like a ps2 in the pic........do you have a converter for it to plug into the midi port on your sound card or what??????

cheers
    Kris:D :D:rolleyes:
  4. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

OK a few misunderstandings here. First of all I got mine from www.ebay.com and I used the "buy it now" option .. There were many dm2s so you shouldn't have a problem getting one under $20... Shipping to Uk for me was $24 ..

Here is the link for the winning auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2533885919&category=14986&rd=1

You can find the seller's info there.. very good guy and very fast shipping with air mail .. I think he is selling some more dm2s .. so hurry up !

Next, I know the picture shows a ps2 connector in keith's web site , but it's not .. The connector is USB and it doesn't require any external power adaptors ..
    @kris
    I don't connect it to the midi interface of my sound card .. I have the pocket dial connected there.. That's why I'm trying to figure out a way of using both with traktor !

If you download Keith's guide, you will be able to understand more .. In fact I recommend to you to read his guide before you consider buying a DM2 !

Once again his site is www.synth.biz
  5. gridbot

gridbot Forum Member

Pleaze tell me this will work for mac! the synth.biz site only addresses using this for T2 on PC.

So is this a MIDI device or is it being assigned commands more like a conventional keyboard?

And just to verify: yes, it has a USB connection!
  6. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

it is a midi controller i would say and it's able to send multiple midi events ! i.e with a push of one button i can sync the decks, put the equaliser of both decks at some value and change the filters all at the same time ... I want to define my one presets since the dm2midi program is very powerful and customisable ...

I don't know if it will work with mac though ... you should ask Keith about that
  7. Dj Hobbes

Dj Hobbes NI Product Owner

hey Andre...I have no clues how to get both your pocket dial and the DM2 to work at the same time as Traktor only allows you to select one controller at a time. You would have to talk to Keith about how you could set the DM2 up to act as though it is sending a command similar to what your computers keyboard does..I dunno.. it may be possible.

Hobbes
  8. crosley

crosley Forum Member

DM2 and Traktor: Macs and External Controllers

Hi All,

I'm glad to hear that people are finding this useful. In answer to a few questions:

* The DM2MIDI software does not work on the Mac, unfortunately. Mixman never released a version of the DM2 software for Macintosh. The DM2MIDI program leverages the existing Windows driver that Mixman provides with the DM2 hardware.

* You can use an external MIDI controller with the DM2MIDI software / DM2 hardware simultaneously. You can use a MIDI merge box to combine the output of the DM2 with your "physical" MIDI chain (of controller boxes, synths and whatnot) and then connect the output of your merge box to one of the MIDI ins on your computer. Select that MIDI input as the one to use in Traktor.

* If you don't have a MIDI merge box or you don't want to spend money on one, there's a free way to do this:

* Install Hubi's Loopback program (as mentioned in my guidebook at www.synth.biz/dm2)

* When you unzip Hubi's Loopback there is an exe file in there called HWMDCABL.EXE. This is "Hubi's MIDI Cable" application, which is essentially a software MIDI merge device.

* Start DM2MIDI. Select one of the loopback MIDI devices as DM2MIDI's MIDI output device.

* Start HWMDCABL.EXE. This puts a funny little icon in your program bar. Right click this icon to reveal HWMDCABL's somewhat ugly user interface.

* In the Input column, select the hardware input on your computer that is connected to your physical synths.

* In the Output column, select the same loopback device as you selected for DM2MIDI's MIDI Output.

* Start Traktor and go into settings -> Input.

* In the Interface pulldown, select the same loopback device as you selected for DM2MIDI's MIDI Output.

* Abracadabra! Your hardware controllers are now transmitting on the same "virtual MIDI cable" as the DM2!

* At this point you can do things like map the controllers on your hardware device to the same controllers used by my Traktor ".tks" file (i.e., if you want a knob on your synth to control the crossfader at the same time as the crossfader on the DM2, program that knob to send controller #10).

I will add this information and some screenshots to a future version of my DM2MIDI for Traktor guide, but this should help you!

Best Regards,
    Keith

www.synth.biz
  9. Dj Hobbes

Dj Hobbes NI Product Owner

Hey Keith,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to write this post. I'm sure it helped clear up alot of questions and confusion amongst us all.

Hobbes
  10. crosley

crosley Forum Member

No problem!

Happy Mixing,
    Keith
  11. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

Thanx Keith. Is there any similar way to repeat the procedure of having two midi controllers with Midi Yoke ?
  12. kris_Tf

kris_Tf New Member

This all looks sweet as, but i would like to have a look at the quality of one of these Dm2 before i buy one cos they dont half look like a toy to me.............does anyone no any where in th uk that sells them that we can go and have alook at one.........Native come on and get with it just make us one you tight arses.......crack on with it........it will sell like warm scones
  13. Xioman

Xioman Forum Member

How's it 4 scratching..?

Does it do quality scratching or is it toy scratching.... If you've used vinyl, final scratch, d-vinyl, CDJ1000, ps2, whatever... compare it at scratching...!

Also, would you take it on a mobile gig ?
    Or maybe a club for scratching... Thx!
  14. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

@Kris

It looks and it feels like a toy but it does the job well .. better than any midi controller I'm aware of at the price range I can afford.

@Xioman

Have you ever scratched Traktor with mouse ? Don't expect more than that. But you can't scratch the two decks at the same time with only just one mouse, right ? It works and sounds as it should be .. nothing less, nothing more ... No comparison with vinyl of course, not even close I would say but that's bcs of the sound engine of traktor and not bcs of the controller's inability to scratch properly..

You should wait a couple of weeks (2.5 to be exact) when I will finish my exams and have more time to play with this toy !
  15. Xioman

Xioman Forum Member

Can any great soul make a video of this thing in action w/ Traktor ?

Hip - Hop please... I really want to see & hear it scratch!

Oh, u never answered, would you take it to a club or to prom or a big event?
  16. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

I don't have the resources to make a video myself.. But yes I will definitely bring it along with me to my future gigs when I customise it the way I want.. You can still use an external mixer along with dm2 nevertheless..
  17. crosley

crosley Forum Member

MIDI Merge with MIDIYoke (instead of Hubi's loopback)

DJ Andre asked if you can merge the output of the DM2 with MIDI output of other hardware using MIDI Yoke (rather than using the technique I described for Hubi's Loopback / Hubi's MIDI cable).

The answer is yes you can -- on the same site where you find MIDI Yoke, you can also find the MIDIOX application. MIDIOX has a function similar to Hubi's MIDI cable where you can basically route/merge a hardware input to a loopback device.

Just download MIDIOX (www.midiox.com).

The procedure is basically the same as what I described for using Hubi's MIDI cable, but use MIDIOX instead.

When you open MIDIOX, click the MIDI port icon or select Options - MIDI devices. In the MIDI Input field, select your hardware input where your synths or control box is coming in. In the MIDI OUtput field, select the MIDI Yoke Junction virtual device that you want to use with Traktor (the same one that DM2MIDI is using as the output).

This will merge the data from the hardware devices with the output of the DM2.

Regards,
    Keith
  18. neodjandre

neodjandre Forum Member

thanks Keith !! You did it again ! However I will try everything in a few days .. (exams are giving me a hard time ATM)
  19. EHRETic

EHRETic New Member

Is it possible that you can PM me the mail of the sailer, I'm french and I first want to know how many it will cost me...

Thx a lot ! ;)
  20. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

Hey guys, just SEARCH eBay for "mixman dm2" and you'll pull up all sorts of auctions. It took me about 30 seconds to find one with the "Buy It Now" option and snag one for less than $30. Hopefully some of these sellers will ship out of the US...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.