1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Does Maschine work in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by TJ, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

I've got some money for a purchase and then it hit me; Maschine! I was waiting for the 1.1 update for the midi out but i've read that it's a bit heavy on the cpu so was going to wait til i upgraded. I'm running windows 7 on a 1.6ghz core2duo laptop with 3gb ram so will this be sufficient?

Also will it only be able to sequence other equipment in midi control mode? Sorry if it's already been asked but it just occured to me! Anyway i'll post more questions depending on the answers i get. Cheers.
  2. Sporeprint

Sporeprint Forum Member

I was wondering the same thing. Yes its heavy on the cpu. I cant even run it the way i want without it slowing way down in responsiveness. If I get more than a couple of groups going, forget about it. nearly useless. But I do love it nonetheless. Hope it runs better on windows 7.
  3. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Thanks. What os are you on? Is it any better in standalone mode? The two main things i want are a groovebox and a step sequencer. I've been looking at hardware counterparts in the past couple of days and it only hit me today that maschine covers everything i need. So if i can't use it to the full in live atm that's fine.

I'm also interested in the control aspect as i have a lot of plugins and i'm lacking a really good controller. Again maschine fits the bill. Can you route midi out via usb to other equipment/software? Does the step sequencer send midi?

Cheers.
  4. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

As Windows 7 is basically nothing more than a service pack for Vista it most probably will run on it.
  5. Sporeprint

Sporeprint Forum Member

Im using it on xp, service pack 3 on one computer and two on the other. I only use it on stand alone mode. Its fun but the specs they give you for being able to run it are wrong. You have to have a very fast computer. I can make tracks, but forget about playing live. I really want to use each group as different versions of tracks and mix through them live but this aint gonna happen. I can barely have a few groups open because even if they aren't all playing, they still slow the system way down. And you cant really buy it and return it because since its considered software, they dont allow returns on it. i dont know about the usb or step sequencer question so I wont even try to answer that one. If i were you i would wait. I just have a feeling they are not going to implement all the requested features any time soon or at all. Cool idea though, Wish it wasn't so cpu intensive. It has made music fun again which, as you probably know, is sometimes hard to come by these days.
  6. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Yeah everything else runs fine on 7 anyway. Really depends on cpu performance. It's very good on 7. I'm surprised at what i can get away with considering the spec of my machine. I'm probably been over optimistic about maschine though.
  7. Sporeprint

Sporeprint Forum Member

what are the specs of your computer? Does it slow down the more groups you have made? mine slows down at 3 and its annoying as hell.
  8. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Thanks. If i get it i'll probably go used or get it on import. I was all set to get it but now i'm not sure cause of the issues i've read about and performance on lower specced systems. It ticks all the boxes and i feel like i'd be compromising getting something else. I already have an mpc 1000 which i use with Guru which is great but i'm missing some real hands on control and a midi control surface like i say.

The midi out is really important. It's a shame there's such skepticism about maschine as it seems like a killer groovebox/sampler.

I'll call my audio retailer tomorrow and see what they have to say about them. Is what it gives you in terms of enjoyment worth the compromise of a not fully full usable maschine? Cheers.
    ---
    I think you midunderstood my last post. I don't have maschine yet! It's everything else that runs well. :)
  9. tscudder

tscudder Forum Member

It runs fine on win7...no issues. Both the ship and beta versions are working fine. I'm also running the 64bit version with no issues.

(can't say the same for m-audio's drivers :)...)

...and win7 is not a service pack to vista.
  10. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Yeah it's the rc that i'm running which is why i asked. I've gotta make a decision then. I was reading the other thread about the 1.1 update and it's put me off a little. I have a nice setup with my mpc and Guru but i'm lacking that realtime control. I was going to get a midi controller as well but again maschine seems to cover what i want and i buying it would resolve several things in one fell swoop.

I think i'm going to go for it but i'll either get it used or cheap on import then if i have any issues with the software side and can't use it fully i have a nice midi controller for live and guru, drum library and a sampler. :D
  11. Elixx

Elixx New Member

Just ordered Win7 64bit on the strength of your post, thankyou for the confirmation!

Had a big check list of hardware and software to go through to make sure i'll be ok, Maschine was the only one I couldnt find any official info for. Will post back on Saturday when it is hopefully all up and running.
  12. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

I've had no issues with any drivers on 7. Pretty impressive for an RC. Solid OS. I have a feeling that maschine will run well but if not i will be upgrading soon anyway. I put a deposit down on one today so should be picking up a shiny new maschine tomorrow. :D
  13. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

so, then why can you just install Win 7 over Vista and everthing is still there? Think about it... ;)
  14. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

So by that logic vista was a service pack for XP. Think about it. ;)

Any got Maschine today. Loaded a few demo songs in standalone mode and they played through ok, cpu was about 50%. There was an occasional pop but that was it. I'll have to test in Live before i register the software but it looks like it's a go. Again i'm surprised at what my system can handle.

Only had a brief play with but straight away i can see the potential. It's like an MPC with TI. Sounds great too, a lot cleaner than i expected and great fidelity.
    ---
    Actually cpu is high on some of the demo tracks in Live. Is cpu performance any better with the latest update? I put the samples on there own partition but i'll be getting an external drive if that makes any difference. Just trying to work out if i need to upgrade the laptop. Cheers.
  15. donfuan

donfuan NI Product Owner

16. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Can you not. I thought you upgraded XP to vista in the same way. My laptop came preinstalled with vista and i'm glad it did if that's the case. I installed the win7 rc a while ago and haven't looked back; the best os from windows by a long way imo. I was going to switch to a mac before i started using it but it's been remarkably stable and trouble free. Maschine works even though the driver didn't install properly! W7 ftw! :D

Anyway i also wanted to ask if cpu performance has been improved in the updates. I seem to be getting really good cpu performance anyway but it's worth asking before i register the sotware. Cheers.
  17. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

lol, you can upgrade xp to vista, don't know who told you that you couldn't.

In theory windows 7 is just the "finished" version of vista, but really there is a lot more going on than just features. It's all around coded a lot better than vista and more resource friendly.

Glad to see that maschine is working good on 7 and 64 bit.
  18. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Yeah i thought you could. It's been that way since '95 hasn't it?

Apart from resources and coding it's also stable. I've read a few posts of people having issues with XP in systems with a better spec than me so maybe it's worth taking a look at 7.

I mean i'm running maschine version 1.02 on the rc with an incorrectly installed driver on standard laptop! Either my lappy is punching above it's weight or windows 7 is highly optimised.

Cheers.
  19. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

yeah, you can't go xp to windows 7 though, you have to either do a clean install, or upgrade to vista first, then 7.

windows 7 is finally the os ms should have put together for years lol, it's very stable and user friendly as well. Resource management is dope too.
  20. Elixx

Elixx New Member

Win 7 64bit installed fine, very nice stable & fast OS.

Maschine installed ok but cant activate as I forgot my password, webforms not working so made a ticket but still waiting for NI to respond. Guessing no one will look at it until monday :<
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.