Drum map with Kontakt 4?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by tadpile, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tadpile

tadpile NI Product Owner

Hi,

I'm a Nuendo/Cubase user and recently bought the Abbey Road 60's Drums for the Kontakt 4. When working in Nuendo I usually use Fxpansion's BFD 2 with a drum map.

I am trying to replace the BFD drums with the Abbey Road drums but Kontakt won't seem to work with any drum map. I can trigger the sounds from the Kontakt just fine if I don't try to use a drum map. Does anyone know if the Kontakt 4 is compatable with drum maps in Cubase/Nuendo?

Thanks,

Peter
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

I presume you will have to write your own drum map that would comply to Abbey Road's mapping.
  3. tadpile

tadpile NI Product Owner

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried making a map for the Kontakt but can't seem to produce any sound while using a drum map.
  4. jimk

jimk Forum Member

You might have to edit your drum MIDI track to play the correct notes to trigger the appropriate notes in Abbey Road.

Jim
  5. tadpile

tadpile NI Product Owner

I can change the notes in the drum editor but no matter which note I trigger, no sounds can be produced.

I guess what I'm asking is - Is it possible to use a drum map with Kontakt 4?
  6. EvilDragon

You should check out which notes trigger which samples in Abbey Road. I guess that's in the manual? I dunno, I don't have that library, but I presume if all the hits are in ONE instrument, then you SHOULD be able to write a drum map!
  7. jimk

jimk Forum Member

Kontakt programs have the notes mapped ahead of time.. you have to use the default mapping of the program which means you have to edit your MIDI tracks to match the notes of the drums...

An example of this is Ocean Way Drums, it comes with a couple of mappings but the programs themselves are mapped to specific notes.. you don't assign drum sounds to a note yourself like you do with a DRUM VSTi like BFD2.

Jim
  8. lxm

lxm Forum Member

that really sucks. i have a handsonic and need to set it up a specific way to play properly. there is no way to map in Kontakt 4? Seems crazy!
  9. jimk

jimk Forum Member

There may be a way to RE-MAP midi data inside your DAW.. that is, take MIDI data and change what values it triggers on the outbound side... so, say you play a controller and a D2 note is a kick drum from your controller, you then have your DAW play the C1 note, which is the kick drum of the drum sample program.

Or perhaps you could map your controller to match the drum map inside of Kontakt?

Just some ideas.

Jim
  10. EvilDragon

There is a way to freely map any note to any other note in Kontakt, if you're ready to delve into some scripting.
  11. lxm

lxm Forum Member

i just dont get why people would spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars only to not be able to use it with a popular piece of hardware like the handssonic. they need to make an easy editor like in Addictive Drums.
  12. EvilDragon

Eh, doing stuff like that goes beyond Kontakt scripting, you know. Kontakt is not a dedicated drum sampler, it's an all-purpose sample player. Battery 3 is a dedicated drum sampler, and I presume it makes remapping kitpieces a really easy task (I've never used it, I'm also using Addictive Drums and EZD exclusively for drums, I have no need for drums in Kontakt, really).

Then again, why not remap the MIDI notes coming FROM the Handsonic TO the mapping that Abbey Road (or whatever drum library in Kontakt) uses? There are 3rd party VSTs to do that (and some can be found for free, just google "note remap VST" or something).
  13. lxm

lxm Forum Member

thanks for the tip. can you recommend one that is the easiest to use? i really want Kontakt for all my ToneHammer stuff. I like the way I can easily hear all the sounds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.