1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

end of the AK 1 ?

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by damstraversaz, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damstraversaz

damstraversaz New Member

Hi
    Itry to bought An AK1 , and it seems that most shops don't have any stock. after speaking with some sellers, some of them told me that NI have stop the production of the AK1. sellers from thomann confirm this.
    So do you have any information about this ? maybe they told me that because they don't want to command this product again.It seems that NI have two new audio interface, so maybe an audio kontrol 2 soon ?

best,
    damien
  2. LeoRuoska

LeoRuoska Forum Member

I can't see what would be the improvements an AK2 would offer. For it's size, it's pretty much packed full of controls and I/O as it is. They already offer physically larger interfaces so the size needs to stay the same. The chassis is rock solid, great design.

Everything that needs to be improved can be done with very small revisions to future production runs in hardware and some software updates.

Ideas that come to mind:
    -Fix the stupid thing with the monitor button being different from others.
    -Make the MIDI controls on top compatible with NI software in plugin (VST/RTAS) mode. At the moment, you can't control Guitar Rig in your DAW via AK1, only in standalone mode.
    -Fix the distortion/reset bugs in Windows OSes many people are having.

Honestly I can't think of anything else I would fix with the AK1. So sad if they decide to drop it, great product. Maybe they wanna make the choice for new buyers a bit easier so they're trimming the hardware product lines.
  3. munichlondon

munichlondon Forum Member

+1
  4. ezelkow1

ezelkow1 Forum Member

So Im tempted to get one, previously using an audio4 that Im selling and wanting to get something more production worthy that at least has volume control on the monitors. I loved the sound quality of the audio4 so my first thought was the AK1. Just seeing all the reports about distortion and drop outs has me worried though, are these still an issue?
  5. LeoRuoska

LeoRuoska Forum Member

Yeah, some have them and some don't. I sometimes see my AK1 resetting (lights blink for a second) but it hasn't done it while I'm working in Reaper after I got an internal powered USB extension, so the resetting problem is not bothering me anymore.

Nothing's changed, there have been no updates.
  6. Scaper7

Scaper7 Forum Member

perhaps it's just time to go back to the drawing board and sort out some niggling issues with their interfaces in general ... AK1 has been problematic for some users with drop outs, CPU spikes etc .... similarly the S4 interface is giving many PC users problems .... notice how the new range of NI DJ interface are using a 'new audio chip for even better performance' ...

... an AK1 without these 'issues' would be a great piece of kit ... especially if it got along well with Windows systems, which seems to be a bit of a problem with NI interfaces. With the benefit of hindsight in the design, I'm sure NI could come up with an AK2 that just works better on a range of computers, minus the drop outs, CPU spikes and USB issues ...
  7. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

Audio Kontorl 1 From NI Made In 2008

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...dio-kontrol-1/

OR

The New roland QUAD-CAPTURE: USB 2.0 Audio Interface Made In 2011

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...66&ParentId=72

Both Has 24 Bit 192 Khz But The Roland Has An Updated Features Like :

1- Auto Volume Gain For Mic Or Instrument
    2- coaxial in and out
    3- second 2 xlr with 1/4 jacks while Audio Kntrol 1 Has One Xlr,1/4 And another 1/4 Jack....
    4- it has only one main output jacks (L & R) And One Headphone Jack 1/4

And Audio Kontrol 1 has :

1- volume knob for main output
    2- second out put jacks (L & R) and one of them can be chosen to headphone or can be turnd to stereo channels out as second main channel...

Which One To Go With Guys And Why ?

i feel AK 2 Will Be Out Soon And M audio Will Drop New Audio interfaces !
    At The Moment What should i do get the new roland one or wait for AK2 and For Now use my s4 sound card while waiting......

suggest me guys....
  8. ezelkow1

ezelkow1 Forum Member

I think it comes down to, do you want to use it more for recording and instruments or not. I recently shopped around and the ak1 was it. Im using it mainly for ITB production and needed above all volume control for main output for the monitors, and the ability to use a second output as a cue output that could be redirected to headphones and had independent volume control. So for the price and quality I didnt find one that came close except perhaps the saffire6.

Again that was just what I was personally looking for in an interface, really depends on what your focus is
  9. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

im talking about technical options, do you hear good things about roland audio interface ?
  10. auburncoast

auburncoast Forum Member

well I guess this has all been confirmed with NI's launch of the Komplete audio interface. I hope there is still going to be continued support for the AK1. Don't leave us out in the cold!
  11. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

im glad to see the new audio komplete 6 , yesterday i was asking when they will put it out...

But The Bad Thing Why decresed the sampling frequancy to 96 Khz , it was 192 khz

and it also have no Auto Volume Gain For Mic Or Instrument

they add a second Xlr/instrument !

roland offer more tehcnology options what do u think ?
  12. cdxpat

cdxpat NI Product Owner

Audio Kontrol 1 192 kHz v 96 KHz Komplete Audio

First let me say that i've never used a sample rate of greater than 88.1 because i've never heard any advantage to it and the file sizes get to be huge which reduces track count. I would guess that is true for most people.

The higher sample rate convertors do seem to have marginally better audio performance on paper so it will be interesting to see how well the Komplete stands up against the AK1 in a listening test. The AKI had amazing sound in my opinion.

The reason for the change would be build cost. The 192 kHz A/D convertors are more expensive than the 96 kHz A/D convertors .

In this segment of the market the margins are probably pretty small and an extra LED and Button is probably regarded as more of a buying feature than a couple of dB of harmonic distortion and dynamic range.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/a-d_converters.html

I do notice that web sites offering the Komplete are claiming support for Pro-tools and windows 7 so i hope both of those bugs are fixed in this version.
  13. XDeeJay

XDeeJay Forum Member

1) 1 volume knob + 6 in 6 out + 96khz ( 4 channel can be main out)

2) 196 Khz + Auto Volume Gain For Mic Or Instrument + 4 in 4 out (only 2 channel as main out)

which one you go with number one or number 2 ? simple answer.....
  14. Scaper7

Scaper7 Forum Member

While Saffire6 installed and ran faultlessly on my system, the sound quality didn't come close to the AK1 .... I ended up with a MOTU Ultralite for similar sound quality without the drop outs etc. By comparison Saffire6 is 'entry level' souind ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.