1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

how do i link traktor pro to ableton 7 on one machine

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by johnny a, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

i want to use ableton for extenal effects but am having problems linking them up

i have
    1x pc 3 gig ram
    1x audio 8
    1x xone 1d
    1x pioneer 600 mixer

i can t seem to get a signal coming into ableton when i send the midi
    can someone help,thanks
  2. BentoSan

BentoSan Forum Member

3. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

surely theres an easier way using the audio 8, no?
  4. BentoSan

BentoSan Forum Member

Nope - you cant use a soundcard in two programs at once. You would need 2x Audio8's
  5. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

taken from other thread

"In the past I had done this on 2 computers using an Audio8 and ScratchAmp2 connected via midi. I have since upgraded my cpu and fiddled with it for a bit.
    On a single cpu with both Ableton and TSP installed, I use the Audio8, then put the midi looping from the output to the input. Make sure Ableton is set to external sync in the preference in the midi(in my case it would be sync Audio8 input) I make sure that midi output and send midi clock is selected in Traktor. Then where the midi clock is located in Traktor, hit the play button to begin the "magic".

The first time I tried this it did not work, but I closed and reopened the application and it suddenly worked. I hope you can get it working-it's amazing!"

"This is my setup up:
    Traktor-main host application and clock
    Ableton Live-slave
    Orange Vocoder-vst in Ableton
    Massive by NI-vst in Ableton
    Kore player-vst plugin

Amazingly this all runs flawlessly at normal latency, for my 6hr test. Next I am going to add in Reason 4! You never know until you try."

This guy from one of the other posts seens to think u can, u think this is possible
  6. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

7. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

so it says it is possible but doesnt explain how to do it using the midi yoke
  8. sqgl

sqgl Forum Member

I tried using Midi-Ox/Yoke according to BentoSan's instructions
    (rather than audio 8) which may have worked in the past but they don't work properly in Ableton 7.0.3 & Traktor 1.1.1

I find that Ableton will increase tempo and decrease when i do likewise on Traktor but the values are total rubbish. When I try a third source as a MIDI clock both will change tempo correctly but Traktor pitch-fader coes not change. It shoudl change shouldn't it? I can't see the point otherwise.
  9. MonoMaschine

MonoMaschine Forum Member

You know, what strikes me as odd is why NI haven't made a AU/VST plugin version of TRAKTOR for use within a DAW such as Ableton Live. M-Audio get around this by using ReWire in version 1.5 of Torq and that seems a quite intelligent answer to the problem as well, as you can link up Reason, Pro Tools, whatever you want. Having to buy two computers, two audio interfaces and MIDI cables to get TRAKTOR to talk to anything is starting to seem rather antique for such a "cutting edge" program, IMHO!
  10. BentoSan

BentoSan Forum Member

Rewire isnt a very good solution because users using timecode vinyl wont be able to use their timecode if they are using rewire.
  11. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=507335&postcount=2
  12. BentoSan

BentoSan Forum Member

The thing is that there are a whole heap of advantages to hosting Traktor in a DAW other than just fancy VST effects. Like being able to get a truely decent proper sample locked sync, automating Traktor from within a DAW - Ableton ghost clips are a example of this.

Also because of Traktors unmodular design it makes it dificult and sometimes impossible to perform experimental techniques - this inability to get our hands dirty in the how everything is chained together can be quite restricting.

Better intergration into other applications and a modular approach to the program would make for a much much nicer Traktor. NI make all sorts of other wonderful products that could potentially intergrate very well with Traktor. All we need is the the ability to be able to glue all these pieces together without any complicated workarounds that send most people running away.
  13. sqgl

sqgl Forum Member

14. jbutcher_2002

jbutcher_2002 New Member

Midi Yoke

From T3 send midi out to Midi Yoke 1&2 (Deck A&B) In the menu go to external sync. Send Midi clock On. Out to Midi Yoke 1
    From Live 8 enable Midi Yoke 1&2 as input. Track & Sync On Remote Off (unless you have a controller. Send Output to main sound card Track & Sync On Remote Off.

Drop a track into T3 and look at Live. There will be a blinking yellow light next to the Tap Button. Start a track in Live first then Hit the Ext button. Cue in track from T3 (You will have to match the beats once when you start). When you have them in sync turn on the master on the deck you are cuing. I have found that it drifts a little more on deck B. I think because T3 only sends one clock (Midi Yoke 2 is redundant). When you get in sync with deck A just hit a 16 bar loop at the end of the track, and deck B will sync with deck A, and Live.
    A little tricky but I had it in sync for 2 hours last night. Just a note. The sync keeps really good time with T3, but the track will drift a little. You just have to keep an ear out. Set your master clock to slave. Make sure your deck BPM matches your master clock BPM, if they are .1 off it will drift. I have a BCD2000 for T3, and set the keyboard to control all the triggers in live. 8 Tracks 24 samples all in sync with Traktor. Good luck, it took me a week to figure all this out. One more thing, You should have 2 monitors, and alot of ram. I am running a gig with dual AMD's, and I can tell its using every bit of that. If you do get them linked up, it is a beautiful thing.
  15. sqgl

sqgl Forum Member

jbutcher_2002 The thread is about TSP not T3. If you change the BPM in Ableton or TSP they loose sync drastically. Major bug.

Have been using the technique anyhow and just typing the BPM into Ableton; no drift. Also been multitrack recording my TSP sessions in Ableton using ASIO4ALL + VIrtualAudioCable.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.