How does the Traktor Pro tag writing work?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by janzak, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janzak

janzak New Member

Hi!
    I'm in the works with making a solid library of music for live gigs and before I continue setting up cue points and beatgrids, I wanted to ask how Traktor Pro writes tags to MP3s?

I'm using iTunes as my personal library, beaTunes for general key and bpm detection and Traktor for DJing (sometimes Ableton, but I digress...).

If I follow this flow for tracks...

1. Import MP3 to iTunes, fix album artwork etc.
    2. Bring into beaTunes, detect key, bpm etc.
    3. And finally Traktor, adjust bpm, set up beatgrids, cue points etc.

Let's say my computer starts failing me and I have to backup all my tracks and playlists, how would I go about without losing anything?

I'm guessing the info Traktor writes isn't embedded into the MP3 but saved in the collection, so just reinstalling Traktor and importing the MP3s would lose me a LOT of work, right?
  2. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

I don't use iTunes or beaTunes so I can't comment on those, but I have moved my collection 3 times and haven't lost any tags. The bpm, beatgrids and cue points are all saved within the file of mp3s. Traktor will recognise all the info saved within if it's moved. I've done this with Macs and PCs. With wavs it's a different story.
  3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

traktor writes all tags into the file - as long as you use a file format that can hold tags, like MP3. the info is also contained in the collection.nml - this is especially important if you're using non-taggable file formats like WAV.
  4. janzak

janzak New Member

So it DOES write into the files! Yes! This simplifies things, collection backup will be a breeze :cool:
  5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

exactly. one of the best things compared to T3 (where backing up was more complicated).
  6. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Even for WAV Traktor writes tags into the file itself.
  7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

i heard about it but i'm unsure if that's true for all tags (text and traktor specific tags like betgrids etc.)...?
  8. shurique

shurique Forum Member

as far as i know T3 also writes tags and info aboutt bpm and cuepoints is saved in mp3
  9. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Moderator

With T3 (not Pro) only if you perform the "Write Tags ASYNC" function.
  10. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Yes, the "normal" stuff like artist, title are stored and the Traktor specific information as well
  11. janzak

janzak New Member

So BPM, cue points, key, comments, ratings etc save to the MP3 without me having to config anything? ASYNC is only for T3? :)
  12. djjimbob

djjimbob Forum Member

Yes. Pro wites to the tags automatically.
  13. Macaque

Macaque New Member

That happened a lot in Traktor 3 since it was far too easy to forget to write the tags. TPro's automatic tag writing eliminates this problem. It's an awesome feature :)
  14. thanu_lee

thanu_lee Forum Member

15. shurique

shurique Forum Member

according my experience,

I have an mp3 with tag written in T3: beatgrid + cuepoints,
    so when i use metronom "ticking" corresponds to beats.

When I load this mp3 in Tpro, I also have my saved cuepoints and beatgrdi, but tempo of the track does not corresponds to metronom...
  16. recombinant

recombinant NI Product Owner

i know... i'm coming into this thread late in the game, but i just wanted to send a big shout out to the responsible NI UX designer(s)/engineer(s) on this feature, since this is exactly how it should work (and thought so all the while when using T3...).

T3's requirement to manually commit changes was an unnecessary hassle, and now having that requirement lifted, it now frees up a keyboard key for me now to assign to a different function. hooray! :)

thanks again, guys (and/or gals)!

;)
  17. LarsStudio

LarsStudio NI Product Owner

How can I see these tags, what kind of editor do I need?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.