I get this message: "this patch is encrypted and cannot be...."

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by F.B., Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F.B.

F.B. Forum Member

hello everyone.

I get this message when using kontakt 4 in ableton live by clicking on the istruments inside the folder " kontakt factory selection library - instruments":

"this patch is encrypted and cannot be loaded unless the respective library is registered properly"

and another thing:

whan clicking on some of the samples in the "samples" folder which is inside the "kontakt factory selection.nkx" folder, I get this message:

"file not found. please make sure that external drives are connected!"

one last thing: what's the difference in the vst folder between "kontakt 4", "kontakt 4 8out" and "kontakt 16out"?

please help me.

thank you very much
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. UserZero

UserZero Forum Member

Not sure about the others, but I know a little bit about this one.

These are different audio output (VST) plug-in configurations for use with your DAW. Near as I can tell they are completely undocumented (a consistent problem with Kontakt technology) and when I first went looking for info, I got a real kick out of this. I eventually pieced the info together by second-guessing what the file names meant and reading through section 14.4 in the manual (the documentation author apparently didn't think it was important to mention the files by name). Even that is confusing, however - see below.

The "8out" is the one I use most. This one provides 8 pre-configured mono audio output channels, which can be used as inputs in your DAW's audio (or "instrument") tracks. They can be paired up to provide 4 stereo outputs (see section 14.2 in the manual). The "16out" dll is similar, it just has twice as many pre-configured audio output channels (up to 8, stereo).

The "Kontakt 4.dll" plug-in dll is the confusing one. The documentation specifically states that "The maximum number of (mono) audio channels that you can assign in host mode is limited to 32 for the VST version of KONTAKT". Despite this stated limit, this plug-in DLL provides 64 configurable mono audio output channels. I tried using that long ago (with Kontakt 3), but couldn't get all of the channels to appear correctly in the SONAR GUI - after they 8th stereo pair, they were completely scrambled in the drop-down input selector, and mixed in with the 'aux' outputs.

I later decided that I'd never load up a single Kontakt synth instance with enough instruments to need 64 (or, 32 stereo) outputs anyway, and settled on using the 8out DLL unless I need more than four instruments in a synth instance (e.g., I use 16out for a simple string section, but only use 5 stereo outputs: VlnI, VlnII, Vla, Vlc, Cbass). Whether this is the right/best way to do it, I have no idea and, of course, the documentation gives no indication regarding 'best practices', so I've gone with my gut.

HTH,
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

My stomach hurts... :lol:
  4. F.B.

F.B. Forum Member

mmm, I don't get it. is this a problem regarding pc? I am using a brand new imac.

is it also an issue regarding the use of kontakt as a stand-alone application? I am using it only as a vst in live.

but maybe I'm missing something here :S

thank you very much for your reply, this is appreciated.

still, the first two problems I mentioned are really driving me nuts. :angry:
  5. UserZero

UserZero Forum Member

Ah, if you're a Mac then that link might be confusing rather than funny.

Yes, 'dll' is a PC thing (at least, I don't think OSX uses DLLs, right?). When I could find no reference to these files in the Kontakt docs, I googled to see if I could find them. Once I'd eventually figured out what they were, I thought it was funny that the very first thing that had popped up was a (completely erroneous) warning that they're a virus. In fact, I believe that web page is actually just a template they fill in with whatever the search keyword was (e.g., if it includes 'dll' or 'exe', etc.) - in this case "Kontakt 4 16out.dll".

Ultimately, this should be a lesson for NI though - how easily someone unfamiliar with all this stuff could be led into a completely bogus belief that these files are harmful, simply because they couldn't be bothered to document them anywhere in their manual.

cheers,
  6. EvilDragon

Also, I'm using 64-out DLL version WITH EASE in Reaper. Everything maps out just right, and after you set your outputs in Kontakt (I have 24 stereo outs and 4 stereo auxes), Reaper maps everything to tracks in a second. Sonar, I find it too freaking convoluted in dealing with multitracks. Reaper makes it all easy as pie.
  7. UserZero

UserZero Forum Member

Checked their site and some of the promo stuff - it actually looks very, very cool. Price is right too. I like their semi-commercial license.

UPDATE: trying it now... very freaking awesome so far...
  8. EvilDragon

Wait till you get into flexibility it offers:

1. skinnable
    2. customizable menus
    3. customizable toolbars
    4. customizable key commands
    5. macro commands
    6. Python/Perl scripted commands
    7. C++ extension API

:)

BTW, if you need any info, be sure to register at Reaper forums. You won't find THAT many awesome helping people anywhere else. I'm pretty active there, I'm soon to turn 5000 posts :p
  9. UserZero

UserZero Forum Member

Yes, I saw. ;-)

I played around with it quite a bit yesterday (rebuilt some projects I'd done in SONAR), scanned the entire User Guide, looked at the list of stuff that you can use w/it - very impressive. The Kontakt integration was great. I purchased the lower-end license. At this point that's mostly to support the project, which I think has the right philosophy for software development and marketing - that is, not free open source, but rather the sort of model open source was always meant to support in the real world where people need to earn a living but where a virtually unlimited community of dedicated contributors can ultimately create an application that's superior to anything a company with limited resources can produce.

Thanks for mentioning it.

cheers
  10. EvilDragon

I'm glad you like it. Who knows, perhaps you could end up using it exclusively instead of Sonar (I actually came to Reaper from FL9 and Sonar 7, so... :p)

I see a constant influx of ProTools refugees every month on Reaper forum, what does that tell you? :)

Cheers, I hope I'll catch you at Reaper forums ;)
  11. F.B.

F.B. Forum Member

please don't go off topic.

I'm desperate about my questions :(
  12. EvilDragon

Do the library files load appropriately in standalone version?
  13. F.B.

F.B. Forum Member

no, sir, I'm afraid not.

p.s. just for the record, I have upgraded at kontakt 4.1 since the beginning (I got the software the same day I started this topic). thanks again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.