1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

If you want to scratch like you have touch sensative jog wheels, here's how

Discussion in 'DJ Controllers' started by DJ Serius, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Serius

DJ Serius Forum Member

I'm using the Hercules RMX, so I can't say for sure how well this will work for you on another controller, but after hours of trying I finally got it :lol:

If you have ever used Virtual DJ, you know that when you move the jog wheels, it instantly responds, and will "scratch" until you stop moving them. Well, in TP you have to hold a button and it works VERY poorly. I saw someone requesting how to do this in an early post (that I can't find) and someone replied that it's not possible because they don't have touch sensitive jog wheels. I figured if VDJ can do it, Traktor can too!

Anyway, I'm gonna call the buttons by name and do a brief overview for people who don't have the RMX.

Right now, there is a Scratch button on the RMX, and with the TSI that Hercules provided, that's Modifier #1. Also, to scratch i.e. the "scratch on" command, you must hold the stop button. Now to scroll quickly through your songs, you hold Scratch (M1) and turn the jog wheels. To "scratch" you hold the Stop button and then scratch, but that is quite noticeable as it stops the song and the milliseconds it takes your hand to get to the jog wheels can sound like hours. To finely adjust the pitch i.e. nudging, you just turn the Jog wheels.

Now Here's what my configuration does:

When you move the jog wheels, they scratch, just like in VDJ. I.e. you don't have to hold anything, you just do a lil "wickey wickey" and it will do it instantly:p You now hold the stop button and then turn the jog wheels to nudge the tempo. And holding scratch still allows you to scroll quickly through your songs.

Here's how you do it for deck A (Then just duplicate each, and change the deck and MIDI number*)
    *Deck A on the RMX is cc47 Deck B is cc48

Here's each of the columns:

Control | Channel | Type | Assigned | Mod1 | Mod2|
    • List Select Up/Down | Global | Direct | <Your Jog wheel for Deck A> | M1=1 | M2=0 |
    • Jog Scratch + Tempo Bend | Deck A | Direct | <Your Jog wheel for Deck A> | M2=0 | M1=0 |
    • Jog Scratch + Tempo Bend | Deck A | Direct | <Your Jog wheel for Deck A> | M2=2 | <Leave Empty> |
    • Scratch On | Deck A | Hold | <Your Jog wheel for Deck A> | M2=0 | M1=0 |

Now the last thing to do is setup M2 (Modifier #2) (If you have the RMX, M1 is already setup)

You can (don't have to) do this for both sides:

1. Go to your stop button (cc13)
    2. Delete the current entry
    3. Change it to:
    4. Modifier #2 | Global | Hold | <Whatever button you want, i did the stop button |

At the bottom, under button options, choose set to value: 2

I would upload the .tsi but I've done a lot of personal changes to it, so I figured I'd show you just those :D

If you have any questions let me know.

(Funny thing is, i'm no serious Midi mapper, i just learned how to do it foolin around :cool: )
  2. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

Nice one.. I'll try it (I need to rebuild my TSI anyway with TP 1.2)
  3. DJ Serius

DJ Serius Forum Member

Let me know if you have any issues. Or if you are using a different controller
  4. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

Work like a charm (I've got the control steel so very similar to the RMX).. I made different sensitivities using different values for the M2 (which is m3 for me as I'm already using M2 for other commands)
  5. DJ Serius

DJ Serius Forum Member

Glad to know it works. I actually changed it and made the left stop button a Direct and kept the right a Hold.

That way when I hit the left it put's the jogs on CDJ mode and they stay there, because accidentally bumping the jog when on scratching mode will scratch it... (it's crazy sensative)
  6. 3DBD

3DBD New Member

it works for me but its real choppy sometimes doesnt resume playing after scratching or it just just takes a second to get back up to speed. heres a copy of the .tsi file with the altered configuration. not sure what im doing wrong tried playing with the sensitivities but cant get it to behave properly. i rather not use vdj but i really want the ability to scratch and scrub like vinyl, can someone please help?

Attached Files:

7. DJ Serius

DJ Serius Forum Member

Did you copy my tsi exactly? or download it? I'm @ work and so I'm not able to look at it. Also I'd have to compare them side by side as it's been a while and I haven't messed with my mappings in months
  8. 3DBD

3DBD New Member

I created the tsi file following the instructions provided
  9. DJ Serius

DJ Serius Forum Member

Ive been real busy as of late, please give me some time to compare it to what I have, mines been modified now for some time, however it should still be similar
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.