Komplete 8 on XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by robojam, Aug 3, 2011.

1. robojam

robojam Forum Member

Windows 7 seems to be a requirement for Komplete 8. Will it run on XP or is it truly only Windows 7?
  2. Funky D

Funky D Forum Member

My guess is XP isn't officially supported, but K8 will still function as normal. Unless Kontakt 5 and Guitar Rig 5 do something differently, there should be no reason that K8 wouldn't run on XP. I'm sure someone with a spare XP box will test and confirm shortly after the release if we don't hear from NI on this.
  3. robojam

robojam Forum Member

It would be a deal breaker for me and some others I know. Hopefully we can get an official XP word on this.
  4. sbproductions

sbproductions NI Product Owner

Deal breaker indeed!
  5. MartinHines

MartinHines Forum Member

The installer might prevent installation on XP. For example, Sibelius 7 (just released) lists Win Vista SP2/ Win7 as minimum requirements. Their Sibelius 7 installer won't run on Windows XP.
  6. Andrew Koenig

Andrew Koenig NI Product Owner

Ah, good. Now I don't have to worry about whether installing Komplete 8 would break Kore--I can put it off until after I've upgraded to Windows 7. Which won't be this year, and probably won't be next year either.
  7. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

You'll be upgrading to Win8 at that rate ;)

Making an installer run only on certain systems when most of the programs it installs run fine on older is just dirty. But unless NI outright answer this question nobody knows until September :/
  8. james19464

james19464 New Member

I've been wondering the same thing. Can't wait to hear their answer...
  9. toddk

toddk NI Product Owner

When you make the decision to work on a computer daw, you resolve to have to upgrade.

Its part of the deal. You can not stay on XP forever. Win 8 is coming soon.

The longer you wait, the worse it will be for you. Straight up truth...
  10. Andrew Koenig

Possible, but unlikely. Let someone else work the bugs out first. Plus I understand the emphasis of Win8 is mobile devices. At that rate, it might turn out to be as successful as Vista.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  11. robojam

robojam Forum Member

I think you missed the point of my question though. I have Windows XP at this moment in time, so I need to know if I can upgrade or not.

If I was in the market to upgrade to Windows 7 I wouldn't have asked the question.
  12. Treadgold

Treadgold New Member

XP only recognizes 3GB of ram so i would be upgrading :)
  13. magicwong

magicwong New Member

you can give Win XP SP3 (service pack 3) a try! It should work.
  14. Andrew Koenig

I have a better idea: I'm going to let someone else try it first.
  15. susan1

susan1 Account Suspended

I'm not going to up to Win7, but if we can get Komplete 8 running on XP, I'll go for the upgrade, even though I own almost everything in 8
  16. toddk

toddk NI Product Owner

The people still using XP, are you still traveling by horse and buggy? LOL

Sorry, i couldnt resist.
  17. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

It's OK. I keep hearing the Flintstones theme tune when people mention XP :)
  18. gasface

gasface Forum Member

My $.02:

XP3 ain't broken anymore so why fix it? Don't be so swift to poke fun at folks who prefer to use an older O/S they've grown to trust over the latest flash in the pan.

I use XP3 because it took 10 years, 6 versions and countless updates and service packs for a Windows O/S to become 100% reliable in my studio. Before XP3 I had to run safety decks to catch whatever the computer would miss when Windows crashed. I simply couldn't trust Windows PCs because it was never if it was gonna crash, but when.

If you've ever had to cancel or decline a session because Windows was down, or if you've lost an idea or some hair because Windows crashed during your best take ever, you've probably cursed and/or prayed for a stable operating system that works with all of your gear. Enter XP3, the mission critical O/S.

I can't be the only person to have learned that when it comes to Windows we should wait until after SP2 (or later) to upgrade. Even you smug characters may recall the Windows ME and Vista products. Just think of the saps who wasted precious creativity time troubleshooting, reinstalling and calling for help (shoutout to Leo) instead of using their computers as the most versatile tool for making music. I know many who still feel they were tricked into beta testing a product for which they paid.
  19. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

I would say worth less than $.02 :cool:

Win7 is more stable than XP SP3 and add many needed aspects.
    Win7 finally gives a version of Windows that stands up to OSX and levels the playing field.
  20. sbproductions

sbproductions NI Product Owner

you're completely missing the point. if it ain't broke why fix it? your setup might benefit from windows 7. but dude JUST said XP3 works best for him.