1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Komplete Audio 6 driver installation failed

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by BassBot, May 18, 2011.

1. BassBot

BassBot New Member

I tried to install a new Komplete Audio 6. I have a new PC running Windows 7 (64-bit, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz). I successfully ran the setup file on the accompanying CD. Then, I plugged in the Komplete Audio 6 using the USB cable it came with. The Windows driver installation wizard started. However, after a minute, it told me that the device installation failed (see attached image). I uninstalled the CD file, restarted my machine, and tried the process again with the same result. When I open the Komplete Audio 6 control panel with the device attached (after running the setup file on the CD and plugging the device in), it tells me "No Komplete Audio 6" found. At this point, the Device Manager for my machine shows the Komplete Audio 6 as being attached, but it tells me it requires troubleshooting due to a driver issue.

Anyone else experience a similar issue? Any ideas? It seems like others have gotten it to work with Windows 7 64-bit.

Attached Files:

2. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

unplug the usb cable from computer

reinstall drivers from disk

plug usb into a spare usb socket,

how many usb devices do you have plugged in?

are your sockets usb2?usb3?
  3. BassBot

BassBot New Member

Thanks smithwessen. It looks like I was trying to plug it into a USB 3.0 slot. Evidently, all 3 of my standalone slots are USB 3.0. I had to use a combo USB 2.0/eSATA slot and it seems to have worked. Thanks!
  4. Cochrane

Cochrane New Member

It's the second issue regarding Komplete Audio 6 with USB 3.0 ports I have read in this forum.

I've already ordered a Komplete Audio 6 and I have ONLY USB 3.0 ports in my notebook, so maybe it's time for NI to jump in and tell us something about compatibilty with USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks in advance to NI if they'll be so kind to officially answer to this issue.

Cochrane
  5. fracture

fracture NI Product Owner

This is definitely still an issue; I get the same error as OP. Device Manager shows the KA6, but lists it with a bang and the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I updated to the new firmware (v37) for my KA6, but I'm still unable to use my Renesas USB 3.0 ports (Host Controller Hardware Id PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&SUBSYS_04911028&REV_04). Thankfully I have a combo eSATA/USB2.0 port that works fine.

I tried connecting to the USB 3.0 ports through a powered USB 2.0 hub, but it didn't help.

Unfortunately I've had various integration problems like this with gear from a variety of manufacturers over the years, and will be very surprised if this gets a official response from NI, much less a fix :( Audio system integrators and bedroom producers should probably beware the KA6 if only USB 3.0 is available on your rig.
  6. Mystic38

Mystic38 Forum Member

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/komplete-audio-6/?page=1906

The product page clearly states USB 2.0... or am i missing something?..

USB 2.0 was not ever designed to be forward compatible and I know that USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible.. so my logic here lays responsibility with the USB 3.0 device not being as compatible as it needs (whatever that means!)

Given NI advertises that the KA6 is USB 2.0 compatible and it is, I dont see them doing anything at all... are you guys streaming video to an entire village with 3.0? :)
  7. hitmaka

hitmaka Account Suspended

Agreed, the advertisement clearly states it's usb 2.0. You can't blame NI for the usb 3.0 issue.
  8. fracture

fracture NI Product Owner

I don't see anyone blaming anyone, but this post is relevant. New machines are coming off the line with only USB 3.0, and soon that is all that will be available. It would be much easier for NI to test their products against the dozen of available (or even a couple) USB 3.0 chipsets than it would be for a USB 3.0 chipset manufacturer to try and confirm backwards compatibility on the hundreds of thousands of USB 2.0 devices that were created over the last decade.

USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible to USB 2.0, regardless of whether or not you think USB 2.0 was designed to be 'forward compatible'. Logic would indicate that something doesn't have to be designed to be forward compatible if backwards compatibility can be facilitated with acceptable sacrifice to forward design. All the pins of USB 2.0 were left intact, and new pins were added to facilitate faster communication.

But then, I'm not here trying to convince anyone of anything I've said above; I only posted to warn people who have only USB 3.0 ports that NI hardware may not work on their machine. Wouldn't it be nice if NI supported their products against chipsets currently on the market? Wouldn't you appreciate NI extending the life of their products by supporting emerging computer hardware as it enters the market, especially in cases where the technology is widely understood to be backwards compatible?

On second thought, don't feel obligated to answer that - I have no real interest in discussing this further, as it would be even less productive than waiting on a response from NI.
  9. hitmaka

hitmaka Account Suspended

Thomas response on usb 3.0- http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?p=909820#post909820

Good luck with your set-up.
  10. Alix Kim

Alix Kim New Member

I have exactly same as above problem.
    And I checked all usbs are not 3.0, tried to 2 desktops and 1 laptop but same.
    "No Komplete Audio 6"
    Is it may because of mechanical problem?