1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Kontakt 3 with EWI wind controller

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Markwhite1980, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markwhite1980

Markwhite1980 NI Product Owner

Please Help! - I am trying to use an EWI with Kontakt 3, in Logic, to control instruments. I understand the theory behind setting the cc2 midi signal to control volume etc. but have tried changing EVERY setting to this in so many different combinations with no joy.

I'd be so grateful if somebody could explicitly explain which settings need to be changed to achieve breath control in Kontakt 3. I know it's something to do with the modulation/amplitude part of the settings but cannot do it....having read the manual and every possible website going.

I have a deadline for some stuff I'd really like to get some expressive asian flute on so any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. stephen23

stephen23 Forum Member

1. Make sure you know which cc no the EWI is sending (the WX5 can send 2 11 or 7, I don't know the EWI). If your EWI can send cc7, this might be the simplest solution.

2. Volume is controlled in Kontakt in 3 different ways:

a The whole instrument by the slider in the top right corner. By default this is probably controlled by 7 and you can disable this setting in Instrument Options>controller>accept standard controllers. You can assign it by MIDI Learn (R-click) or by automation (Browser>auto>Midi Automation and drag cc2 onto the slider.)

b The volume knob in the Amplifier module of each group, which you can assign by MIDI automation as above.

c By modulating the Amplifier module (bottom LH corner of module, or R-click on the volume knob).

You'll want to set one of these with the mouse or another cc, to give overall level; and another with your EWI breath controller: I recommend using MIDI automation in the browser for the latter, as this gives the best dynamic range.
  3. lapieuvre

lapieuvre Forum Member

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/ewi4000/

If you can read french, this website is dedicated to the ewi and VST's

I made a lot of experiment with Kontakt, and did not get good result. The best expression I got was with the software Wallander instruments. This VST is made for the EWI. Garritan also came out with a bank for the ewi.

Anyways, your best bet is to follow the website's instructions.

He also says that you don't get great results with Kontakt...
  4. stephen23

stephen23 Forum Member

Surprised to hear this. I get excellent results from Kontakt with the Yamaha WX5 which I would have thought was very similar in function to the EWI.
  5. stephen23

stephen23 Forum Member

6. lapieuvre

lapieuvre Forum Member

And how do you do it? You assign CC2 to which parameters?

Thanks
  7. stephen23

stephen23 Forum Member

Volume

+ optional:

[LPF or EQ modulating higher frequencies] or

[AET - morph softer samples on to louder and invert control, seems to work better]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.