Kontakt 5 and XP...adios amigos!

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by jedwards, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jedwards

jedwards NI Product Owner

Well it looks as though the new crop of updates, upgrades etc.. will only be available in Win 7.. So it looks as though us remaining XP users our now left at the gates as time marches forward. Its a shame! I was really looking forward to a future with NI. I have no plans to upgrade to Win 7. And really in the scheme of things there really is no big upgrade to K5 anyways..Still no VST plugin support like Maschine..No live sampling like Maschine..Well I guess I should invest in Maschine..oh wait thats right, any future updates will be in Win 7 also..
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm rather confident that K5 can be installed on XP. It's just that NI did not test it and won't provide support for XP anymore. That doesn't mean that the program itself will refuse to install on XP.
  3. JAB3

JAB3 NI Product Owner

Who would be willing to install the Kontakt 5 Player on an XP machine when it is released? This would be tell tell sign as of what to expect w/ XP compatibility.
  4. EvilDragon

If NI fixes the 3x2 filter, I'll upgrade from K4 and then install it. Till then... no $ for NI from me.
  5. ben_horwood

ben_horwood Forum Member

I'm of the same opinion as ED.
    It will work on XP unofficially, they just wont provide support for it. ;)
  6. greggybud

greggybud NI Product Owner

Out of general curiosity, at what point would you consider Windows 7? I would have loved to stay with XP and probably could still live with it today, but there is a threshold. I know Steinberg has moved on, but they still work with XP however no support.

As long as Windows doesn't break compatibility with old VST's I'm happy to pay a fee for improvements such as speed etc.
  7. Andrew Koenig

Andrew Koenig NI Product Owner

When the manufacturer of my sound card releases a driver for Windows 7 that's not a beta.
  8. EvilDragon

Which is...?
  9. Andrew Koenig

I wish I knew. But I don't want to throw out a piece of fairly expensive hardware that works just fine just so I can upgrade to the next version of Kontakt.
  10. musicman100

musicman100 NI Product Owner

I felt the same way as the OP, but I reluctantly at first pulled the trigger and upgraded to Win 7 64 bit Home, the to Pro.

It was a bit of a hassle , since the Tascam FW1082 and Liquid Mix required legacy FW drivers, and LM does not work with Sonar X1 64 bit. But all my Native Instruments installed and authorized pretty well.

I now see it works just so much better, plus I have the XP mode in case something doesn't work , like my old Midiman Digital patch bay..
  11. EvilDragon

I mean, your audio interface, which manufacturer/model?
  12. Andrew Koenig

E-Mu 1616m PCI.
  13. EvilDragon

Hmmm... if there are non-beta Vista drivers, they should be fine with W7 too.
  14. Andrew Koenig

Then why do they bother with separate beta W7 drivers?
  15. Brent01

Brent01 New Member

Good question. I'd be interested in the answer, too.

I'm running XP and don't have plans to upgrade anytime soon as it would require all new hardware.

The question is: Is upgrading to Kontakt 5 really all that necessary?
  16. EvilDragon

Very good question. I guess just so that they can say "we support XP, Vista and W7". But W7 is basically debugged Vista made to run smoother and faster, W7 driver base and signatures are basically ported from Vista, so Vista drivers SHOULD most likely work on W7.

That depends. Watch the 3rd party libraries - I presume there won't be that many K5-only libraries coming very soon (except from NI's own libraries), so you probably have about one year of leeway until something interesting starts showing for K5.

I know, though, that all the previous libraries that relied on Time Machine 1/2, will most certainly benefit from the improved quality of Time Machine Pro. For example, Tonehammer Forgotten Voices series, Sonokinetic's vocal libraries, etc. Those libraries had some issues with distorting samples, that were purely Time Machine's fault. Time Machine Pro should solve those.
  17. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

EvilDragon, I will respectfully disagree. My new 64 bit computer has Windows 7 Pro on it and Lexmark’s site said their 64 bit Vista drivers would work fine with it. They did not! I had to buy a new printer that had native Win 7 64 bit drivers.

Just a word of caution here, that’s all. Although some Vista drivers may work in Win 7 but based on my personal experience some may not.
  18. EvilDragon

I said SHOULD, not that they WOULD work in each and every case 100%. "Should" has a different meaning than "would" :)
  19. Haydn

Haydn Forum Member

The EMU Vista x64 drivers work fine in Win7 x64. I've been using them for the past couple years.

Windows 7 has now been out for 2 years. In another year Windows 8 will be coming out!

Jim
  20. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

Sorry! My old tired eyes miss read your message!

My humble apologizes.