1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Kontrol S4 Canada/USA Warranty question

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by DJ Slick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DJ Slick

DJ Slick Forum Member

Hello, i live in Canada, and i can get a Kontrol S4 for about $200 cheaper in the USA than in my hometown of Toronto. My question is to the moderators or anyone who has experience with buying NI products out-of-country and then having to deal with perhaps a faulty unit, an RMA, or any type of repair where you'd have to ship the unit out.

Would my warranty cross over to Canada first of all? how long is the manufacturer warranty? If i had to ship it out because say, my jog wheel was faulty, would i have to ship it to the states everytime? or is there somewhere in canada where i would be shipping it?

thanks for all your help! i can't want to be apart of the S4 club! seems like a nasty piece of kit, i'm only weary of the (albeit quite rare) reports of faulty hardware.

and for the record, it costs $989 CAD at moog audio, plus 13% tax equals about $1120 total

if i bought it from the states, i can get it for $899 anywhere, and if it's out of state shipping to a relative, there's NO TAX, and NO SHIPPING. so it's just $899 total. (assuming equal us exchange)

so it's more than $200 savings...
  2. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor

You warranty is valid no matter where you are or where you bought. Most often faulty units get shipped back to NI in Germany unless you have a friendly dealer that sorts it out for you, so in the long run it doesn't really make any difference.
  3. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Wassup from a fellow Torontonian. NI's warranty applies as long as you're the original owner, and like CZ says, if there's anything wrong with it just ship it out to Germany.

If you have any questions after reading the manual, holla at me. It's a lot to learn, just make sure you spend a good week with the unit before gigging it.
  4. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Moderator

A Canadian Love In... Beautiful.
  5. DJ Slick

DJ Slick Forum Member

yeah go toronto! where there's 3 DJs for every 1 clubber!

ok so the warranty sounds good, but i just wanna confirm 2 things:

a) will i have to pay for shipping?

b) how long is the warranty on the S4

and yes telly, i've spent some time with a friend's S4, i could borrow his whenever i want, but i want my own! just trying to decide if it's worth it to deal with a friendly local retailer or not. Moog Audio has always treated me good, and is right across the street from me, not many other shops i know of where you can bump into Deaumau5 randomly.
  6. Fred McLovin

Fred McLovin New Member

No NI is paying for shipping both for sending it and returning it. It is very simple. Don't worry about it at all !
  7. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

I find that offensive. We're up to AT LEAST 5 DJs per clubber now.
  8. DJ Slick

DJ Slick Forum Member

lulz @ TeLLy

yeah, it's pretty bad. the "i only go out if i'm guestlist or if i'm spinning" mentality is coursing through the Toronto underworld, the scene has become so hip it's begun eating itself. HA! listen to me saying: "begun". it "began" about 10 years ago after the city cracked down, and all of the real promoters dried up.

qq

also, on topic. how long is the manufacturers warranty on the S4?
  9. DJ Slick

DJ Slick Forum Member

BUMMMMP!

still looking for the legnth of the manufacturers warranty. anybody? i'm guessing that at least someone on one this forums actually owns an S4, anyone bother to look up how long the warranty lasts?

i'm *this* close to making a purchase decision, if this information is available on the product webpage, i apologize but i have not been able to find it.
  10. jek69

jek69 New Member

warranty for s4

Hi I have traktor s4 and have had it about 6 months and live in the UK,but for about a week or so has been playing up fader on b channel not working propley and even the hot cues on other channel and the cue button stop working?so I restart my Mac and it works OK apart from the b channel fader seems to have a mind of its own?what I wanted to no was does the warranty cover costs of sending my kontrol s4 to decks in London where I bought it from?or do I send it to ni?and if I do have to pay to send it to London or ni how much does it cost to send in the post?if any one does no please let me no asap please jek69 :confused:
  11. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

You should call the shop you bought the S4 from, they will be able to arrange the delivery for your return
  12. jek69

jek69 New Member

warranty for s4

Thanks for the reply but my s4 is working again?I think that it is dust is the problem in my channel b as yesterday I moved my fader up down when it was off quite hard and it seems 2 be OK for now?my warranty and guarantee is for 2 years?and if I send it back to the shop it takes 4 to 6 weeks to repair.when i used to DJ 15 years ago with set of turn tables and mixer had the same problem with dust making everything crackle so I used to take my faders out of the mixer and clean them with alcohol and use lubricant for the faders and and was like new again for a few months. Its just like servicing your car. Many thanks for your reply jek69
  13. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

If your fader and your buttons are starting to fail, there's no option but to get a repair through warranty and wait out the weeks. Call/email NI support if you want to send it direct through them.

Opening it yourself or by some repair shop will void your warranty, but you could always try compressed air.
  14. jek69

jek69 New Member

Hi again makar1 traktor has been fine as had no more problems since the last time,but one thing is do u no if ni pay the postage for sending them back my s4 or do I pay for the postage?I hope they do as am unemployed.
    I would just like to say thanks to your reply and I will keep you informed if I have any more problems thanks again
  15. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

16. jek69

jek69 New Member

warranty s4

Ok thanks for the reply I will email ni and see what they say?how long have you had a s4 for?will let you no what happens with ni jek69