1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Kontrol X1 won't turn on except for initial lights

Discussion in 'KONTROL X1' started by tomturbo, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomturbo

tomturbo New Member

Hi Guys,

My Kontrol X1 just arrived, much to my excitement, but despite running the installer on my osx macbook like with any other usb device, and then plugging the X1 in, I get nothing more than a 5 second light show on the X1 and then it goes dark and inactive again. I thought this thing was plug and play? I have no idea how to activate it any further?

I then installed it on my old Windows lappy too, again same thing, lightshow and then back to sleep. Both computers are up to date and core 2 duos.

Am I missing something? i ran the kontrol x1 installer/driver of the installer cd and didn't plug it into usb (straight into laptop, no hub) until after the install

Please bear in mind that I am fairly IT literate, I own an audio 8 dj and a xone 2d, both of which work fine and did so straight away.

I'm gutted, i really want to use this thing! First impression = frustrating!

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
  2. grosenstein

grosenstein New Member

I am having the same exact problem. I just bought the Kontrol X1 and installed the drivers, and when I plug in the controller, the lights flash for a few seconds and then there is absolutely no response. I don't know what the problem is, I've tried reinstalling the drivers a few nothing changes? I have no idea what to do about this? Anyone out there that can help us?
    ---
    Hey I figured out the problem. I don't know if it is the same problem for you, but for me it wasn't working because I didn't have the last update of Tracktor Pro installed. Make sure you download the latest version 1.2.4 and then try it.
  3. PhilL

PhilL Moderator

Tom lets start with your windows machine... for me its easier. First off make certain you are plugged into a USB2.0 port. Next up please check to see if the device is detected in device mangler. On my McBook Proi 17 running Winders 7, it shows up under USB Controllers as Traktor Kontrol X1. If it does not show up, then the problem is detection and Driver related. The two are not the same but are interrelated. If it does not show up in Device Mangler as the X1, then do you have anything at all in unknown devices?

Final thing for now you might try is to uninstall the A8 A4 A2 and X1 Kore and Audio Kontrol drivers from add remove programs then reinstall the most recent drivers from the 1.2.4 installer package.

If you've got the device listing in device manager then let me know and we'll start debugging that path.

Phil
  4. Daniel @ NI

Daniel @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi,
    There are two ways of installing the X1
    1. Install Traktor 1.2.3 or newer (Latest version of Traktor is 1.2.4) - The installer will ask you what you want to install. Make sure to check the box that installs the Traktor Kontrol X1 driver as well as the Controller Editor. The X1 will not work if you have not installed the Controller Editor.
    2. Install the Kontrol X1 without installing Traktor - You have to install the Kontrol X1 driver AND the Controller Editor. This is necessary for both, Mac and PC.

I hope I could help here.
  5. PaulAlbert24

PaulAlbert24 New Member

i have exactly the same problem, and i have updated my software to 1.2.4 - i went to the service centre and downloaded it- it lights up when plugged in and that is it?

Help?

thanks
  6. PhilL

PhilL Moderator

Paul and Tom did you install the Controller Editor as well as the driver. As daniel indicate both are required. If you have installed it do you see the X1 identified in the controller editor? That would tell us if the drivers were installed and bound to the device properly.

Phil
  7. PaulAlbert24

PaulAlbert24 New Member

hi phil, yea these are installed and showing, it is clearly something i am doing? its been a long day!

i have downloaded the 1.2.4 version but my system still only shows 1.0.0.250?

what have i done wrong?
    ---
    what a complete idiot! would help if i used the correct version - 2 dauys without sleep is not a good thing!
  8. DjStrategy

DjStrategy NI Product Owner

As you said that it has been a long day, I need to ask;
    Did you unpack/unrar and install it after downloading the 1.2.4 update?
    Just downloading it doesn't do the trick!;)
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  9. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

What has likely happened is your dock icon is directing you to the previous Traktor version. You need to replace it with the correct alias in the Traktor folder. I make a habit of deleting the dock shortcut before installing the new version to avoid this. Don't know why it happens sometimes and not others.
  10. DjStrategy

Ok so my X1 finally arrived this morning! And OH MY GOD! It's ckufin' awesome - Once it worked that is!

So here's what happened:

I unpacked it, connected it...etc...and just like with Paul and Grosenstein, all the lights lite up once and that was it....no usage possible with TSP whatsoever...please note, that I had TSP 1.2.4 + Controller Editor + X1 Drivers installed (I installed it all when the 1.2.4. update first came out)!

I tried changing some settings within Traktor and eventhough I could choose the X1 as Midi In/Out I could not use the Native Mapping or the plug and play control (No midi mode).

So I opened the controller editor and noticed that it was set to "Maschine"...so I tried changing it to X1 but that option somehow didn't exist...

I tried replugging and restarting everything (in different orders) and redid all the steps listed above (also in different orders)...NOTHING WORKED!

In my slowly but surely growing frustration I decided to just reinstall (after saving all my settings and playlists of course;) ) TSP 1.2.4. + X1 drivers as well as the controller editor -> And Voila -> Now all of a sudden I could change "Maschine" to "X1" within the controller editor!
    After restarting Traktor it found the X1 right away and I could use it plug and play (see what I did there at the end - a little rhyme)!

By the way the X1 was found as connected hardware from the getgo but somehow without reinstalling the editor and hence also traktor, it wouldn't recognize the X1...not sure what the issue was.

Anyway I hope I could help some people out there having the same problem!

PS: Please note that I am normally pretty tech- and computersavy, which is why I was sooo surprised that nothing besides reinstalling the whole 1.2.4 update (drivers, editor etc included) worked!
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. Gragra24

Gragra24 New Member

I have tried everyting and its getting to me now...I have a Mac Pro and I have downloaded all the requirements yet I only get the lights when first plugging in the Kontrol unit. I don't have an audio 4 DJ but that shoudn't stop the Kontrol unit from working let alone the lights starting up...can it?

Except for downloading 124 and the x1 driver, is there anymore adcice I can take please?
  12. Daniel @ NI

@DJ Strategy
    It sounds like you were using an old version of the Controller Editor. Everyone has to make sure that they are using at least version 1.2.0.315 of the Controller Editor. Otherwise the Kontrol X1 will not work. When installing Traktor 1.2.3 or 1.2.4 there will be a screen in Windows and Mac asking what drivers you want to install. You have to select Kontrol X1 AND Controller Editor on Mac. When installing on PC you just have to select the Kontrol X1. The Controller Editor will be installed automatically here.

Another thing: The Controller Editor itself is only necessary when you want to use the Kontrol X1 as a Midi controller. This means when using it with another software than Traktor, or when using a Traktor version that does not support NHL mode (all Traktor version before 1.2.3)
    However, when installing the Controller Editor the NI Hardware Service is being installed with it. This is the thing that does all the NHL magic and that is the reason why the Controller Editor has to be installed when you want to use the Kontrol X1 with Traktor even though you don't use it in Midi Mode.

I hope everyone could be helped here.

Two thing you should consider when you're having problems with your KX1
    1. Connect the KX1. Wait for 30 seconds. Press Shift+Hotcue. When the Hotcue button lits up green, the Kx1 is in Midi Mode. This means your KX1 is working correctly and all drivers and the Controller Editor is installed.
    2. When you do 1. and you can't set the KX1 to Midi mode something is not installed properly. The easiest way to fix this is to reinstall Traktor and make sure that during the installation the Controller Editor, as well as the driver for the KX1 is being installed.
  13. DjStrategy

I'm not sure, if that was the issue, as I installed exactly what I had already installed two weeks prior! Meaning I didn't download any new content.
    I used the same files I had downloaded and installed before...I don't use my DJ-Laptop to go online and I have wireless etc. turned off so nothing could have been updated or secretly downloaded!
    It must have been exactly the same version of the controller editor I had already installed and had tried to make play nice with my KX1 before...anywho...Now my KX1 works like a charme and I couldn't be happier!:D
    You guys did one hell of a job when designing this thing @ NI!;)
    Only complaints - I wish it had 2x2 more knobs and on/off buttons to kontrol the key and standard filter-features...other than that, it's bloody perfect!
    Greetz
    Strat
  14. Gragra24

Gragra24 New Member

Dan,

I'm using the version that came with the Kontrol unit except not LE as I already have PRO. I have dowloaded both updates for MAC and Controller yet it still does not want to fire up except the initial first 5secs. I thought it would be just plug and play when using it via MAC and some PC speaker. I can't see the problem!

I will try the shift key/hot key thing tonight and hope that may have some resolution.
  15. Daniel @ NI

Have you donwloaded the newest version of Traktor Pro through the Service Center?
    After it has finished downloading make sure to run the setup file. During the install process it will ask you what you want to install. Make sure to select Kontrol X1 driver and the Controller Editor.

If the Controller Editor is already installed on your system make sure it is the right version. Start the Controller Editor (which can be found in Applications/Native Instruments/Controller Editor) and click on the Menu and select the about option. It will then show you the version number you are using.
  16. jrgutier

jrgutier New Member

You should check if you have the 64bit kernel enabled in Snow Leopard. Switching back to 32bit fixed the detection problem for me.
  17. jesswah

jesswah New Member

Thanks a heap, you helped me, I had the exact same problem, I didnt bother reinstalling the controller editor thats why I couldn't get it going!
  18. DjStrategy

You are oh so welcome! Hope you are enjoying your X1!;)
  19. kashada

kashada New Member

Similar problems with leds action

Hi guys,

I received my X1 and install the drivers from the x1 and the controller editor of the installation cd.
    I run the Traktor 1.2.4 Mac OS X Update and the Traktor Kontrol X1 Driver 2.3.14 Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6.
    When i open the traktor scratch pro and plug the X1 some lights turn on.
    However i have all the effects and the decks off in traktor, but the buttom stays on in the controller.
    If i press play in deck A he starts playing but the bottom of the controllers remains off with no light.
    If i press one of the bottom, where the light is on, since the begining, to switch the light off, the light remains on, even if i press several times.
    I already had reinstall all the updates, verify settings on controllor manager, recalibrate, restore default, import a new customize mapping and thats it. Everything stays the same.

My computer is a Macbook Pro 2.53 with 4Gb and Snow leopard 64 Bits.
    Help?
  20. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Could you be stuck in MIDI mode? I had a different problem actually - my system (exact same specs as yours) wouldn't detect the X1. Turned out it was 64-bit's fault. I dropped it to 32-bit and all functioned perfectly.

Sucks, I was one of the first to be messing with TSP on SL 64-bit and was thoroughly enjoying it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.