1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

MASCHINE and Traktor 2.5

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by Eqube, Mar 15, 2012.

1. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

i definitely know that you dont have pages, so you wont have the full 64 samples per deck with another controller.
  2. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Theres no way NI will make it so you can only use these features with the F1 alone.
    everything will be mappable as it is now.
    otherwise why give it free to us all... !
  3. dej47

dej47 NI Product Owner

The F1 is probably the same as every other NI product, meaning that it's running their own protocol NHL. I think this is the big difference as to why some things won't be possible in standard midi mode.
  4. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

nope, regarding the remix decks, not everything is mappable to other controllers as it is now. see FAQ.
  5. alepeinador

alepeinador NI Product Owner

They gave it for free because most of it is usable with other controllers, sort of "wet our appetite" I would say.

Each Remix Package has 64 slots and they are divided into 4 pages of 16 each. My guess is they MIDI mapped the first 16 but they didn't map the Page function at all (in the software).

They didn't map it not becasue it was impossible to do (it's as simple Push Rotary Encoder) but because it's a clever way to get everyone to try the Remix Decks but keep something exclusive to the F1 owners (thus selling a lot more units).

The F1 uses NI's own protocol over USB so it doesn't need MIDI access to Traktor's functions, they speak their own proprietary language.
  6. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator

I'd be happy if I got the 16 samples. Getting to use the punch mode et al is the heart of Remix Deck and the additional pages are "the even better news" sort of stuff to me.

And for the reason they did it this way... my guess is you are right, and NI has all the right to do this, but I just wish they did it with a bit more subtlety...

Well, with a little luck, a lot more should be posted on the TOR thread pretty soon!
  7. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator

Not too much additional info, except that other MIDI controllers are going to be limited.

What I really want to know is how limited...

For instance, even this one information would be huge--in the TOTR, there was a mention that:

"When using Remix mode, you can put the Remix Deck in focus (using the S4 Deck buttons) then hold SHIFT and press one of the Hotcue buttons to select the next Sample Cell in a Slot. In this mode, you will be able to choose new samples in the Remix Deck to trigger with the S4 Sample buttons."

Is the above midi-mappabe? Do we have to wait until the release to see for ourselves now that TOTR is closed?
  8. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

Yeah, i totally agree. Quite frankly i don't believe the reasons they gave for no other controller working with the remix decks, it seems far more likely that they just want to sell lots of F1 controllers.
  9. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

probably true but it is a company. why would they release such and update with a controller that no one 'needs' to buy. like it or not it makes since and just something we need to accept
  10. puzzlefactory

Yeah, but they could have at least made Maschine compatible. On the surface it's basically the same thing (16 pads with a bunch of encoders) and it's been purchased from their company. Just seems like as bit of a slap in the face really.
  11. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

i think what is being said is it is sending more than just midi so anything made before the f1 comes out is just flat out not sending the right messages to be translated
  12. Punky921

Punky921 Forum Member

That is incredibly unfortunate. I feel like there's no reason to do that, beyond trying to force people to buy an F1.
  13. alepeinador

alepeinador NI Product Owner

In order for Maschine to control the Pages function it would need a MIDI # assignment and then ANY and ALL controllers would be able to access the function so they can't, it's either all or none here (and they chose none).

There is nothing out of the ordinary with the F1, it just speaks their own language. Lets pretend that MIDI is English and that the F1 and X1 speak German (NI's proprietary language). The Pages function was assigned a German word so when Traktor hears the word from the F1 it changes pages but they didn't teach Traktor the English word for Pages so it can't accept a MIDI request for it.

Let's just hope it's the only English word they "forgot" to teach Traktor and all other functions are there for MIDI access. If I get access to 16 samples via my Maschine that's all I need for now, they can keep the other 48 samples.
  14. puzzlefactory

That's just it. If you read the "on the record" answers you'll see that you can't do that. The remix decks are completely incompatible with Maschine.
  15. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

what's so hard in understanding this:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1026933&postcount=4

Q: Will there be an update to the Controller Editor to include mappings for the new Traktor functionality on Maschine and Maschine Mikro Hardware?
    A: You probably want to assign the 16 pads of the Maschine hardware to the 16 cells of the Remix Decks. Unfortunately, this will not be possible. The reason is that the depth of integration between the F1 hardware and Remix Deck exceeds what is possible through regular MIDI mapping in the Controller Manager.
  16. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

This may be true:
    It's harder understanding the reasoning behind it though. Accessing all 16 cells of the Remix Decks from my 16 pad NI Maschine is actually well within the abilities of MIDI. It's MIDI 101. I hope NI implement this in the Controller Manager at some point in the future.
    If NI decide they don't want to open up their software fully to MIDI (a bit of a u-turn there), then do it with HID. They've already got the controller editor and the protocol down.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  17. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

not if the software isnt sending or reading midi for the pads
  18. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Well, precisely
  19. jiggle

jiggle Forum Member

The Maschine also uses ni's hid, the only reason I can see for not making it compatible is selling more F1's.
  20. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

what a waste of time... you can keep ya remix decks anyway but if this makes traktor more unstable then things are gonna kick off on here i can see it coming...!