1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Maschine Controller no longer controlling Ableton Live anymore

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by cyclicAMP, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclicAMP

cyclicAMP Forum Member

Hello,

Maschine controller is no longer controlling ableton live using ableton template or any other template. Upon plugging in maschine controller, all works fine (volumes, triggering clips and scenes, etc.). Within a few minutes it will no longer work. All buttons, pads and knobs will have no effect (clips that were launched can not be stopped or relaunched, etc.).

I have not changed any of my settings in maschine controller or ableton live.

What gives? any ideas or suggestions? Frustrating to all of a sudden not be able to control my DAW.

Thanks for any help offered!

cyclicAMP
  2. VinnieTreux

VinnieTreux NI Product Owner

+1

I've experienced this before, but not every time I use maschine & Live...maybe a bug in the controller template?

It seems to work better if you keep the maschine software running with Live, and you can switch back and forth on the fly

...one other thought when reading your post, always make sure you plug in the controller before you start the maschine software, then open Live and then the controller template.
  3. ew

ew Moderator

This.

ew
  4. cyclicAMP

cyclicAMP Forum Member

Thank you VinnieTreux and ew for your responses.

So I insured that I was plugging-in and turning-on in the above order to no avail. Still, works for a minute and then...nothing, no response.

I have gained some clues however. I noticed that in ableton the 'key/midi out indicator' has been flashing rapidly, meaning Live is sending data out.
    In the preferences under 'midi sync', I have control surface 1 set to Maschine controller and both input and output set to Maschine controller. When I set the output to 'none', the rapid flashing of the 'key/midi out indicator' stops. With a reboot everything works fine (no drop in response from maschine controller) but, of course, maschine controller no longer lights-up the pads that represent clips in Live's session view. But they work, I just don't know where I am in the session.

Why this change in Maschine controller or Live, I do not know.

Any thoughts or suggestions with the above mentioned info.

thanks again!

BTW: I am running osx 10.6.4, Live 8.2, and Maschine 1.5.1
  5. bertie bass-hits

bertie bass-hits Forum Member

I'm having the same problem. Any ideas? Running on exactly the same as cyclicAMP.
  6. silverfilter

silverfilter NI Product Owner

Having the same problem here running Maschine 1.5.1 on Live 7 OS 10.5.8 :(

I tried the above mentioned as well but to no avail.
    ---
    I'm confused though...

it says in the previous reply to plug the controller before starting the Maschine software and then Live?

If I'm running Maschine inside Live, shouldn't I just open Live since it'll load Maschine later on to run inside it?
  7. ew

ew Moderator

All he's saying is to have the controller plugged in before starting either.

ew
  8. silverfilter

thanks ew. Just had to make sure coz after making sure it is plugged in before anything else, I still get the same problem :/
  9. mcl

mcl Forum Member

Yip - got this problem as well - On a macbook pro - Latest maschine - and Snow Leopard - weird - works initially - then becomes locked up - weird, and annoying as I just sold an APC40!

Bugger
  10. mcl

mcl Forum Member

No news on this yet - Been in contact with NI directly about this and no response.

Is my Machine going to be unusable with Ableton for some time?
  11. Pulsoc

Pulsoc NI Product Owner

I am noticing the same issue, haven't had time to investigate fully, but rebooting Live allowed control via the Live Template. However, when I switched to a custom template it stopped working again.
  12. Jippit

Jippit Forum Member

Me too.....

I am also having this problem - really annoying

It worked fine for an hour.....then....stops

I can switch to Maschine control and work fine but when I switch back to Ableton (Shift & Control) no response from transport or pads to trigger clips.

I find comfort in the fact it is not only me having this problem though and is a problem with the controller map / Maschine s/w most likely...

NI - please sort this out ASAP - I and a lot of users bought maschine to compliment Ableton!

Thanks
  13. acme

acme NI Product Owner

Same here, same here
    I'm using Live 7.018 on 10.5.8 in a Macbook pro
  14. nick1nikon

nick1nikon New Member

obviously same problem here, should we try uninstalling it and reinstalling it without the latest update?
  15. Menjai

Menjai New Member

I have exactly the same issue.
    For sure , thanks Cyclicamp, If i switch on off from the midi out it solve the issue, but I would like to let it on ON.
    NI , could you help:angry:
  16. dvm1

dvm1 New Member

same here. wish i was aware of this last wk b4 i shelled out for a Macbookpro. still works perfect on PC though. WTF
  17. dvm1

dvm1 New Member

hey guys I've managed to sort this out on my system. I've done 3 one hour test runs & its held up perfect. Try having NI Controller editor open in the background, I don't know why this works but so far so good! I am so glad this has knocked this problem on the head, really hope this works for others. Please let me know if it solves your problems too :)
  18. silverfilter

Hey DVM will try that out!:) Thanks for the heads up
  19. kanu88

kanu88 New Member

Same problem here..until 1.6 update no problem, i reinstalled totally Ableton and Maschine, same problem, then I totally formatted my mac, re installed Ableton and Maschine, same problem.

Now I'm actually working with the newest Live and the oldest Maschine (1.0) and have no problem, but you know, i'd like to have an up-to-date product, as i always have payed for my Maschine and Live softwares, unlike a lot of other people XD...

Kanu
  20. kanu88

kanu88 New Member

I managed it in another way, but i'm still testing it..for this last hour it held perfectly..as i told you i re installed version 1.0, and everything was fine.

then I updated to 1.5, my service center showed me driver updates 2.3.9, 2.3.14 and 2.4.18 .

I downloaded them and installed one after the other, testing maschine in stand alone THEN with live.

As soon as I got to the last update (2.4.18) i started again having troubles on Live.

Insted of resetting i just updated maschine to 1.6 , started again my service center and downloaded again the driver updates BUT ONLY the first two (2.3.9 and 2.3.14).

Now I'm testing it but seems to be working.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.