1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Maschine Studio vs Ableton Push

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by digweedgr, Oct 2, 2013.

1. digweedgr

digweedgr Forum Member

Your thoughts!!!
  2. 73*

73* Forum Member

Maschine Studio & Ableton Push

That is my plan. As for choosing only one, I won't venture to opine on that until 2.0 is release. That said if I had to choose between my Maschine MK1 with 1.8 and Ableton Push with Live 9 Suite, I'd currently choose the latter.
  3. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

If you want an out of the box experience while still working in the box. Maschine is the way to go (especially if you chop samples, etc). If you primarily work in the box but need controller for performances then Push may be a good solution. I use ableton with LiveControl or Touchable so push isn't my thing since I have what I need already, and while Maschine is the best Ableton controller (too much paging) it can work as one as well.
  4. KevWestBeats

KevWestBeats Forum Member

Unless you bring Live 9 into the picture then we are just talking apples and oranges. Live 9 + Push vs Maschine 2.0 Studio. Ill wait and see but right now my money is on Live 9 due to it being a full DAW. Maschine 2.0 is a beat makers paradise.
  5. the hamburgler

the hamburgler Forum Member

+ 1 kevwestbeats and mezzurias
  6. just1n

just1n Forum Member

with mSTUDIO you can everything from the hardware

With push you can't

Easy victory
  7. just1n

just1n Forum Member

Live 9 would be nice as a supplement program for maschine, by dragging converted audio-to-midi from live over to maschine
  8. KevWestBeats

KevWestBeats Forum Member

But on the flip side Live is a much more powerful DAW than Maschine 2.0
  9. moroe

moroe Forum Member

Live has many audio inputs for hardware synths
    Live has midi arpeggiators, chords, scales....

I was really in love with maschine because i thought that these features would come in 2.0
    But i dont wanna wait another decade til maschine gets this

And max4live is awesome

I have maschine mk1 since 2 years or so and i am looking at push right now because live is much more advanced than maschine software.

And ableton is working hard to get many features to use with push

I think that the Push 2 hardware will get a graphical display too (especially since NI announced maschine studio)

Greets

Moroe
  10. just1n

just1n Forum Member

Remember it's all about the workflow and the scale stuff is easy, I use my ipad as a wireless midi controller and I got over 4 apps that have diffrent scale specific interfaces, I have that I will never tell you what it is called but it is better than pushs scale thingy
  11. digweedgr

digweedgr Forum Member

I ve worked on both mashine mk1 and push. In my point of view ableton is a complete daw. I really love the fact that you can easilly drop audio samples inside ableton and create miracles out of it. BUT maschine 2.0 looks very clean and more simple. Does anybody know if you can do the same in maschine 2.0? Last time i used mashine was way before the 1.8 update so i really dont know what happened since. It looks like in 2.0 you can arrange your track like in ableton, but i really dont know its differences with the arrangment view. What i really like in push aswell is the scale thing, it works really well, i wish if maschine had the same option. Btw just1n, which apps are you talking about? I am looking forward to download them because if i could use scales like push in maschine, then i might start thinking of selling push for mstudio.
  12. just1n

just1n Forum Member

Pianist pro, muza, mode machines and my secret one that I'll never tell Anyone... It's like push but has scales and it makes harmonies so easy and amazing... After fully understanding it, I paired it with maschine and my production skills got better... Made me sound like I'm a beast on the keys lol
  13. digweedgr

digweedgr Forum Member

Ok i will look for these, thanks a lot :)
  14. queglay

queglay Forum Member

This brings a big list of NI VST presets into Ableton so the NI VST presets can be browsed also on Push

Maschine 2.0 and Battery 4 presets are each available as drum racks and ready to be sequenced on push.

The macroX M4L plugin we developed further blurs the line between the Maschine vs Push debate. I've always wanted both.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  15. the hamburgler

the hamburgler Forum Member

ableton is such a great program but it's also a completely 'other' paradigm than Maschine, I wouldn't sell maschine for ableton or vice versa for that matter, you will feel the difference in the areas where maschines workflow really comes into it's own
  16. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

This...
  17. Scaper7

Scaper7 Forum Member

agreed ... versus schmersus ... ableton + maschine + komplete , wouldn't pass up any of these. Maschine 2.0 looks looks like it will make integration even better. Suddenly i can wait for Push ... will be getting Maschine 2.0 first.
  18. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

been looking, can you use the scale part of launchpad95 within maschine without live? that would be sick :)
  19. skizm

skizm Forum Member

It's really easy to figure out basic scales types (maj, min, etc) on 4x4 pads and memorize the pad combos. Then all you have to do for each song is just transpose the root note (using the pad 13 semitone-. pad 14 semitone+ on Maschine) to the key center of the song. You basically have the same thing as scale mode. In Maschine, you can have a different key scale set in each group, in keyboard/pad mode. Simply tell each pad what note to play, go through the scale across the pads, save it as a project or even a group by group affair for easy recall/transfer to projects or jam sessions.

There's a handy scale chart method where you can just change the root key on Maschine to play the different scales easily: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?163177-Scale-Charts-for-Maschine

Also, if you have an iPad, there are many ipad apps that do harmonic table keybeds like Musix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSl8DZOPy74
    plus Chordion, Polychord, Seline, Soundprism, Melodymaker, Orphion...etc.
  20. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

i meant for using a launchpad s/mini as a keyboard. i like the idea of having a key pallet ready to go for multiple octaves.

i saw the 16 pad work around, and that would only be viable for performance in my situation.

luckily with midi import, i can write my melodies and chord progressions in other software and transfer them in!