1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Mix recording with Traktor 2.6

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by mbaker8, Nov 14, 2012.

1. mbaker8

mbaker8 New Member

Afternoon,

I am having problems recording my mixes from Traktor using the in built recorder.

I use an Audio 10 soundcard with 2x technics sl1210, timecodes, traktor scratch pro 2 and a behringer ddm4000 mixer.

I have channel D plugged into my tape out on my mixer and before I upgraded to Traktor 2.6 the recording feature worked perfectly.
    Now when I use Traktor in the recording section (after clicking on the cassette in the top right) there are no levels coming through even though the gain and sound is playing out as normal.
    So basically Ive got my tracks playing, hit record and there is no sound!

I have swapped over the cables runnign from my audio 10 d into my mixer but still nothing and since it's only started being a problem since I upgraded I think it maybe a problem with the software but obviously I could be wrong!

Has anyone else experienced this or help me out? Much appreciated.

Matt
  2. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor

Check your input settings and mix recoder settings in preferences and make sure channel D is still routed correctly.
  3. CrownECakes

CrownECakes New Member

I've also experienced recording issues since upgrading to 2.6.0.

I use an external mixer. RCA from REC OUT into CH D on the A10 soundcard. I get levels and can even record but, the sound is completely distorted - like when you're input is set to PHONO instead of LINE [it isn't].

I did not have this problem before the upgrade.
  4. morior

morior NI Product Owner

Here is my experience and I wonder is it a clue. I upgraded to 2.6 and everything works fine, but now I notice that when recoding not only does the GAIN on the recorder have an effect on the recording levels but so does the master volume, I have not looked into it in too much detail but has the routing for recording changed so that it goes through the master. When i compare my audio settings from 2.1.3 they are the same. But 2.1.3 was not affected by the master volume.
  5. thoms

thoms Forum Member

6. CrownECakes

CrownECakes New Member

thoms - I did read that, thank-you. If you notice, I commented right underneath the suggested solution.

My input to chD IS set to LINE. I can hear the recording but the sound is completely distorted.

Any other suggestions?
  7. Mixtress

Mixtress New Member

I too have absolutly no recording levels... my set up was perfect before upgrade, may well revert to previous software until this is answered.
  8. CrownECakes

CrownECakes New Member

I'm on a MBP Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.6.8. I'm beginning to think that my OS upgrade might be behind this problem. I reverted back to TSP 2.1.3 and....I'm still getting the same problem. So, either the A10 soundcard is fried [doubtful as it sounds fine over the speakers and I've tried recording out of each of the other outputs].

I'll keep you updated.
  9. D-V-S Bastard

D-V-S Bastard New Member

I have a similar problem with 2.6:
    The levels I'm getting using mix recorder are really low.

For example:
    with the Traktor master set to 0.0 db and mix recorder gain at +12db I get really low peak recording levels (about -5db when analysed using Logic pro) when the channel of my external mixer has gain adjusted to to read 0.0 or +1db on my mixer levels. Changing the input mode on my Audio DJ 8 has no effect.

The only way I can get a decent recording level is by adjusting the Traktor master to max (keeping the mix recorder gain at +12) and cranking the channel gain on my external mixer way up so the levels are maxed out in the red. Needless to say this produces substandard sound quality.

I have recorded many mixes in the past with other versions of Traktor and while I have always had to have the mix recorder gain at +12db, the master in Traktor would always be set at 0.0. The recordings had peak levels of -1 to 0db as desired.

I conclude there is a problem with the mix recorder levels in Traktor 2.6.

I will do some more tests using another laptop running 2.6 before filing a ticket with NI.
  10. CrownECakes

CrownECakes New Member

++
    Update

I downgraded my OS to 10.6.3 and....presto. Everything works.

NI - need some kind of a fix with 10.6.8
    Apple - need some kind of an upgrade to 10.6.8 other than the patch you've already issued.

**note - my macbook pro is too old for 10.7 or 10.8 apparently. The app store won't even let me download the updates.

Anyway - don't upgrade to 10.6.8 if you're running traktor.

Thanks everyone for their input.
  11. kAUDIO

kAUDIO New Member

I've updated to Traktor 2.6 like 3 weeks ago and ever since i did that i can't see any levels on the mix recorder meter. When pressing the record button it records nothing (obvious since the meters also show no signal is coming through).

Using an external mixer (Rodec) on which a recording output is connected to channel D. Before the update everything worked and i made mutliple recordings, so i know it's properly connected/routed.

What can i do to solve this major inconvenience?

Thanks in advance.
    kAUDIO
  12. CrownECakes

CrownECakes New Member

kAudio

- What computer and OS are you running?

If you're on a MAC and you're running above 10.6.3 - you may encounter audio problems. I have not tried anything above 10.6.8 but I know from experience that downgrading to 10.6.3 solved this problem for me.

To downgrade, backup your system then re-install a lower version of the OS or UPGRADE to 10.7 or 10.8 [un-tested]

Good luck.

CrN.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. kAUDIO

kAUDIO New Member

Thnx for the reply CrownECakes, but i'm running on Win 7 (yeah i know... :))
    Any chance you have an id what's causing this issue on a windows laptop?

Should i try to reinstall because the update messed up somewhere or is this a known issue?
  14. solger

solger Forum Member

Did you check the the audio and mix recorder settings in preferences?
    Might be possible that with updating the Traktor version, something was set back to a default value.

If you updated from an older Traktor version, you should find the previously installed executables in the 'BACKUP'-folder in your Traktor install-location.
    From there, you can execute an older version to check if it's still working with this one.

If you haven't already, check out Freshfluke's Up/Downgrade Tutorial for this in general.
  15. kAUDIO

kAUDIO New Member

Hi Solger,

Yeah i've gone over all the settings again, and they all appear to be correct yet that didn't solve anything. Didn't try the Backup folder traktor version, will do this now. Will post back once i'm done testing. Thanks for the reply already!
    ---
    Ok, so inside that backup folder i took the last version (Traktor 2.5.1.13951), and everything works as before without even touching settings or wiring...

So i guess the inconvenience of not being able to record my sets is solved...
    unfortunately the problem still affects my 2.6 version.

Any thoughts?

PS: i did check that PDF Freshfluke put up before even posting here, i did some research before posting ;)
  16. solger

solger Forum Member

Not sure, if it's since version 2.6 that the main volume knob also affects the volume of the mix recorder, but could this be the problem?
  17. kAUDIO

kAUDIO New Member

i've read that link too and tested every possible thing i could on 2.6 but no action on the meters of the mix recorder... Must be something else
  18. masterjey

masterjey New Member

Same problem to me.
    OS is Vista Home Premium (Service pack 2)
    TP2.6
    Recording leds give no signal (with external mixer)
  19. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor

Have you linked your external mixer back into traktor?
  20. masterjey

masterjey New Member

Hi,
    Yes I did.
    From my mixer (booth line out) to Audio 8 (7/8 line in)