1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Need help with S2 audio setup.

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by arthurchan0011, May 2, 2012.

1. arthurchan0011

arthurchan0011 New Member

Hi guys. Total Traktor/DJ noob here! I'm having trouble with the audio setup for my S2. There is NO SOUND from the laptop speakers, the headphones, AND the external speakers (which are connected to the S2 via red/white RCA cables). I've looked all over the internet and to no avail!

I also use a HP laptop with IDT audio drivers. However, I have downloaded ASIO4ALL.
    I've upgraded everything I can, and have checked that the S2 is recognised by the laptop.
    I have the gain and cue levels in the middle.

My audio settings are as follows:

AUDIO SETUP
    Audio device -------- Traktor Kontrol S2
    Sample rate --------- 44,100 Hz
    Overall latency ------ 10.2 ms

BUILT-IN SOUNDCARD
    Win Built-In ---------- ASIO4ALL (ASIO)

MIXING MODE -------- Internal

OUTPUT MONITOR ---- 3: Monitor left, 4: Monitor right

OUTPUT MASTER ------ 1: Master left, 2: Master right

Have I done anything wrong? Please help me out. Remember when you had DJ troubles in the beginning?
    Thank you very much, Arthur.
  2. DanDan

DanDan New Member

Bro, i went through the same thing setting up mine.. I don't even know how it started working but it just did.. Mess around with the Audio "settings" in the Traktor Program. Thats what i remember doing..
    ---
    And make sure everything is connected Correctly. If you haven't figured out your issue, i'll check how mine is setup and i'll PM you details later on.
  3. arthurchan0011

Dan, thanks for replying!

Okay, after uninstalling Traktor Pro 2 and my audio drivers, it is partially working. But there are still some audio issues.

When the S2 is not connected to Traktor, the sound is fine. The audio settings are as follows:

AUDIO SETUP
    Audio device -------- ASIO4ALL v2
    Overall latency ------ 16.7 ms

BUILT-IN SOUNDCARD

OUTPUT MONITOR ---- L: not connected, R: not connected

OUTPUT MASTER ------ 1: Dock HpOut 1, 2: Dock HpOut 2

HOWEVER, when I plug in my S2, the "play" button does not work on both the S2 and Traktor. The audio settings are automatically changed to:

AUDIO SETUP
    Overall latency ------ 10.2 ms

BUILT-IN SOUNDCARD

OUTPUT MONITOR ---- L: 3-Monitor left, R: 4-Monitor right

I've tried different combinations of "Audio device" and "Win Built-In". If both are ASIO4ALL, sound comes out of the laptop but not out of the headphones (there are no options for "output monitor" when I use ASIO4ALL).

But when the "Audio device" and "Win Built-In" are either "Traktor Kontrol S2" and/or "Kontrol S2 WDM Audio (WASAPI (shared mode))", the issue with the "play" button arises. However, I am given options for "output monitor".

Thank you very much for taking the time out to help me. I really appreciate it!
    Arthur.
  4. Mystic38

Mystic38 Forum Member

i will assume you have installed everything correctly...

AUDIO:
    in order for you to listen to mains out and headphones out you need a 4 channel sound card.. your laptop is not that.

when the S2 is connected IT is the sound card and mains out will come from back of unit (not laptop) and headphone jack on S2 will work...your laptop headphones will not work and your laptop speakers will not work.
    IF, with the S2 connected you set the sound card to your internal card, then clearly only laptop speakers/line out are active.

CONTROL:
    Ensure you have S2 selected as a control interface in the TP2 setting screens
  5. arthurchan0011

Mystic38, thank you for replying!

Almost everything works now! The issue was the I was plugged the S2 into a USB 3.0 socket, not a 2.0. Stupid me! The only problem I have now is that ALL sound from Traktor Pro 2 goes to my headphones, not my external speakers (connected to the S2 via RCA cables).

My current settings are as follows:

AUDIO SETUP
    Overall latency ------ 18.9 ms

BUILT-IN SOUNDCARD
    Win Built-In ---------- Traktor Kontrol S2

OUTPUT MONITOR ---- L: 3-Monitor left, R: 4-Monitor right

What is also odd it that the "Main" knob on the S2 does not do anything on Traktor Pro 2. Also what is odd is that even when only one deck is playing, the "Deck level lights" show up for both decks. Is that normal?

And last thing: why did people on forums recommend me ASIO4ALL if I don't need it? From your reply, you're saying that you always choose the S2 soundcard (so I can also headphone cue).

Thank you VERY much for replying to my queries and making my life MUCH easier.
    Cheers, Arthur.
  6. DjFlailZ

DjFlailZ New Member

i have the same problem i cant seem to use both headphones an external or laptop speakers when i use realtek high definition audio sound card i put speaker left an right in output master 1&2 an it plays threw via laptop (headphone port) but no head phones
    but when i have it set to the s2 sound card it works via RCA cables an s2 hp jack just seems to lag think i need laptop upgrade or any suggestions
  7. jdownesbaird

jdownesbaird Forum Member

The "main" knob on the S2 controls the output FROM the S2 to your speakers, etc. It does not change the volume within Traktor. And, I believe that the "deck level lights" you are looking at are actually the L and R master outputs, which should both light up even if only 1 deck is playing (stereo).

I have a Mac, but I don't see why you would need any extra programs like ASIO4ALL for your setup.
  8. arthurchan0011

You don't need to buy a new laptop !

1. Install ASIO4ALL (it's a free download)
    2. IMPORTANT: when you run Traktor, make sure that ALL other programs are closed. This is because if there is another audio source (e.g. Youtube, iTunes), the audio will come out of the laptop speakers NOT the external speakers. That is probably what the problem is.
    3. And when choosing the audio device in Traktor, choose the audio card in the S2, since it allows you to listen to the master AND also headphone cue at the same time.

Hope this helps ! :)
    ---
    @jdownesbaird

Yeah, thanks mate ! :)
    It's all sorted out now.