1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Optimisation tips for your windows laptop...

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by dannybyrne29, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sengaia

sengaia Forum Member

2. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

Keep this thread alive if you have any more optimisation tips then lets hear altho this thread has plenty already.
    thanks to all who have contributed..!
  3. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

4. fuzzy logic

fuzzy logic Forum Member

loving gamebooster. works realy well... would recommend the free version to anyone wanting a quick and easy way of killing all unwanted background things temporally .. good find dude!
  5. dannybyrne29

Seems like the new 2.5.1 has been quite a success but i'm sure there are more tips out there .... keep them coming... !
  6. ken_chuang

ken_chuang New Member

My Windows optimization strategy

Basically I develop my own script for DJ and another to restore settings

DJ script includes
    • devcon disable (To disable unnecessary devices such as bluetooth, wireless)
    • net stop "" /Y (To stop unnecessary services)
    • powercfg.exe -setactive (To disable power saving mode )
    • taskkill /F /IM ( To kill unnecessary processes )
    • sc lock (Lock the service control database )

Restore script includes
    • devcon enable (Enable back disabled devices)
    • net start (Start back disabled services)
    • powercfg.exe -setactive (To active balanced power mode)

I noticed some services which were originally shutdown by net stop restarts after some time. This actually created some problems for me when running Traktor. To prevent this from happening, I used sc lock command at the end of the script. You need to type "u" to disable sc lock.

Do note that I've tried Iobit Game Booster standalone and together with my script, however it seems when measured with NovaBench, it's always slower than my script. Thus I am no longer using Game Booster.
  7. technicaltitch

technicaltitch Forum Member

Brilliant post thank you Ken! I've used GameBooster but not really noticed much, this will spur me to do something a little more professional/solid.
    ---
    PS. There's a download on this page that gives a fantastic starting point for your own custom script. Nb. You need to go through it, understand it, and tailor it to your setup. For example it assumes a specific anti-virus package.

http://themixtrain.wordpress.com/resources/djtt-pro-audio-optimizer/
  8. ken_chuang

ken_chuang New Member

Tips to develop your very own DJ script

Here's some tips for people who wants to develop their own DJ script

• Devcon command. You need to go download and install it as it's not part of Windows distribution. You can refer to this link for details ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ion-of-device-console-utility-devcon-exe.aspx )
    • Devcon enable. Not sure for whatever reason. Some devices which are previously disabled using Devcon disable can't start again. No fear. Just repeat the command again. There are a couple of my devices which I need to repeat two or three times before it's successfully re-started.
    • Develop the DJ script and restore script together. I've encountered many times during testing phase when I overdo it. Some disabled devices and services which made all my midi devices unusable. So you need to restore using your restore script and try to find out what in particular is at fault. You don't have to optimize fully, test if it's good enough first before taking a more risky step to disable some key items.
    • Refer to Device Manager and Service before and after. So that you know what's happened.

Three items I still have to do it manually. They are.

manual - Adjust for best performance
    - Computer properties
    - Advance system settings
    - Advanced - Performance
    - Visual Effects
    - Adjust for best performance

manual - USB power saving option off
    - computer properties
    - Device Manager
    - All USB controllers, select power manangement, disable option

manual - background services (Change back to programs if worsen)
    - computer properties
    - Advance System Settings
    - Advanced - Performance
    - Advance
    - Adjust for best performance of: Background services

That's about it. Hope this helps.
  9. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

deffo! thx for sharing! :)
  10. ken_chuang

ken_chuang New Member

Improved DJ windows optimization strategy

It appears that some services still managed re-started even when sc lock is enabled. So I took a more dangerous route this time and it seemed to work.

Here's the improved script (I have corrected minor mistakes on my previous post here too)

DJ script includes
    • devcon disable (To disable unnecessary devices such as bluetooth, wireless)
    • sc config start= disabled (To disable unnecessary services )
    • net stop "" /yes (To stop unnecessary services)
    • powercfg.exe -setactive (To disable power saving mode )
    • taskkill /F /IM ( To kill unnecessary processes )
    • sc lock (Lock the service control database )

Restore script includes
    • devcon enable (Enable back disabled devices)
    • sc config start= (enable back disabled services)
    • net start "" /yes (Start back disabled services)
    • powercfg.exe -setactive (To active balanced power mode)

The main difference is I added sc config start= disabled in the DJ script. For the restore script I added sc config start= (below are three applicable start options )
    • start= auto (automatic)
    • start= demand (manual)
    • start= delayed-auto (automatic(delayed start))

I had tested it and it seemed to finally completely eliminate services from re-starting itself.

To develop this set of scripts, you need to start your work from the restore script first and note down whatever the original start sequence is automatic, manual or automatic (delayed start). In case you gotten the start sequence wrongly, you can still check and do some recovery. Else you have to reply on other internet resources for help.

This is more advance than the early scripts I posted and it's more prone to mistakes. My suggestion is to try my earlier scripts first, and get yourself more comfortable before trying this out.
  11. technicaltitch

technicaltitch Forum Member

Huge thanks!

When you say "try my earlier scripts" are you meaning you have made your scripts available for download somewhere? (Or are you not deliberately so only those who understand it try it?)

Apologies if I'm missing an obvious download link or misreading.
  12. ken_chuang

ken_chuang New Member

Attached DJ Script for Reference

Please find attached for reference.

DJ Script 1.zip : For my earlier optimization script effort ( some services do restart )
    DJ Script 2.zip : For latest optimization script effort (completely eliminate services from restarting)

Most of the script contents are specific to the configurations of my laptop, so it should not be working straight away.

I've installed devcon at c:\program files\devcon folder. Please change to your desired folder on the script. To query for all the devices listed and dump to a text file just type in command line

devcon hwids * > temp.txt

I've also attached my temp.txt file for reference. This might be useful to figure out how I had used it to develop the devcon part of script. Usually I would dump the text info into an excel file and create a new column to mark those devices I want to disable and then figure out what parameters to use for devcon disable and devcon enable commands.

For the services part, there are lots of discussion over the internet which you can refer to. The key difference is that I took the additional step of using sc config which completely eliminates services from restarting.

I've decided to go for further 3 other manual steps as it would otherwise involve automation of registry editing scripts which required rebooting of laptop, which I think it's too troublesome.

During development phase, just use echo on at start of script and pause at end of script temporary for ease of diagnostic.

Hope these info helps.

Attached Files:

13. sengaia

sengaia Forum Member

+1
    One Dj Script .bat to rule em all
    thx ken_chuang

sc lock is a new command for me and it also works in xp:cool:
    How less Handles, Threads, Processes are you running according to taskmanager while using traktor after running script?
    My highscore on dualboot pc :D
    Win7 less than handles 7000, threads 300, processes 25
    WinXp less than handles 4200, threads 240, Processes 18

attached pic is of xp running traktor 2.5.1 on 1gb dd3 ram
    svchost.exe removed only for fun, not recommended

Attached Files:

14. ken_chuang

ken_chuang New Member

Handles, Threads, Processes on Task Manager

Here are requested findings performed on my laptop

Before Optimization on Win7 and running Traktor 2.5.0
    Handles : 22585
    Threads : 917
    Processes : 77

After Optimization on Win7 using DJ Script and running Traktor 2.5.0
    Handles : 13137 - 42% lower
    Threads : 588 - 36% lower
    Processes : 47 - 39% lower
  15. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Moderator

loving this thread. thx for your effort! :)
  16. dannybyrne29

yeah.. its really gone in depth...especially with Ken and his scripts... nice one guys...!
  17. dannybyrne29

The new update is nearly here... lets hope its a stable one and all these tip will become obsolete...!
    oh and monkeys might fly outta my butt...!
  18. dannybyrne29

Are the monkeys flying...?
  19. LarsStudio

LarsStudio NI Product Owner

You see it lol

Pure madness going on, if you ask me.
  20. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

My windows 8 settings

Updated configuration. I've attached a couple text files for additional configuration information I used for my system. I'm still trying to resolve some random issues with my laptop that I suspect is the Sony Vaio care system utilities. Even after disabling all the utilities and also stopping the services, I get random system "shocks". It's either the Vaio utilities or power management even though both are disabled. I can't figure it out yet. Tasklist was used to create batch files that stop services and kill processes prior to running TSP 2.6.0.

Attached Files: