producing dubstep with maschine only?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by DjDior, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjDior

DjDior Forum Member

I've been djing for about 2 years and just bought the maschine last week. I am just getting familiar with everything and can navigate the system pretty well and record and so on... So here's my question... It is obviously possible to make dubstep with just the maschine... I am hoping someone can please show me how to edit and tweak a sound to get that wobble... I've read this thread http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126974 and it doesnt really teach me how to change the sine or sound wav. Can someone please tell me what effects/steps i need to do to achieve this wobble bass?
  2. GrantH

GrantH NI Product Owner

It does tell you actually, if I read it right. You have to auto-write the LFO filter. It's going to be FAR easier come the 1.6 beta test release as we should be able to control massive or any other multi-osc/multi-LFO synth via the controller if macro controls are available when using the plug-ins.

Does anyone know if this is the case?
  3. awol9000

awol9000 NI Product Owner

for da wobbles!
  4. whoryanp

whoryanp New Member

load the thinsquare... turn pitch down to -36 lol
    load the filter... turn the cut off down some...crank the res... turn the lfo amount mod up a bit... select your wobble speed... tweak the shape and phase to your choice....
    for some "yuh yuh" wobbles like doctor p creates, load the FM into fx2 and tweak the freq and depth!
    :) hope this helps

-whoryanp
    www.soundcloud.com/whoryanp
  5. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

Almost every company that sells samples also gives away packs, so you can hear what the samples sound like. Taking a single note of a bass sound, looping it, and doing your own automation is quite simple, as the other posters noted. Look for sample packs of deep synth basses that contain "multisamples" -- usually these would be mapped across the keyboard to the appropriate variant (C3, D#3, E2, etc) but you can always use a single note across the whole range if you'd rather, and you can get some interesting pitching artifacts that way (throw on SP1200 mode for even more extreme pitching distortion, and don't forget to set your polyphony to Legato, which lets notes pitch bend into one another as you play a sequence).
  6. DjDior

DjDior Forum Member

finally a straight answer! thank you!
    ---
    ben have you personally made any dubstep tracks we could hear?
  7. whoryanp

whoryanp New Member

DjDior:
    Yeah I have been working on some dubstep myself...
    I have posted one clip on soundcloud.com/whoryanp
    Hit me up on facebook @ facebook.com/whoryanp if you want to talk about colab work... I can't send PM's on here yet cause I have not made 20 Forum posts...
  8. DjDior

DjDior Forum Member

haha i figured that was the case... i realized it right after i sent that... ok ill hit you up
  9. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

Some good advice but your life would be made a lot easier with a synth :)
  10. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Take a look at the substance patch in Maschine. Its used in one of the Maschine project (I forgot the one) and that project shows you how to do the wobbly bass. If you deconstruct the patch you will see a fairly interesting setup. The modwheel affect the sound as well.
  11. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

None that I've been happy with, but maybe I'll throw something together today. If I'm feeling particularly helpful, I'll even do it all with stock sounds and then post the project up. Maybe.
  12. DjDior

DjDior Forum Member

if you do that ill give you my first born! we need a good tutorial on the dub and the maschine.... come on bro!
  13. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i have to agree, a synth is really needed for a decent wobble.... role on 1.6!

sowari
  14. whoryanp

whoryanp New Member

agree ROLE ON 1.6!
    ---
    also MASSIVE is a great software addition!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.