1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Rewire, Sample start-point mod, changes to filters, etc

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by audioel, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audioel

audioel NI Product Owner

Hello,

I'm a new user of Maschine, and so far - I love it. I've been reading about the upcoming 1.1 update, and I've read what a lot of users have posted.

My suggestions are as follows:

Rewire support. Machine would make a brilliant rewire host/slave! It would be a much better solution than running it as a plugin, as it would allow multiple channels of audio, transport control, the ability to run with a lot of different applications, etc. Plus sequencing through rewire is well supported in most DAWs.

Sample start-point modulation. In the old MPCs, you could use this to cut some of the attack off the beginning of the sample to simulate a softer hit. Personally, I'd like to use it for crazy wavetable-like modulation through long evolving samples. It would be fantastic if it was a real time parameter that could be mapped to a knob, and sequenced. Combined with the envelope parameters, this allows for some very interesting timbral modulation.

Filter changes. I'd like to see a resonant multimode filter included as a part of the voice architecture, and not as an effect. The biggest issue is the triggering of the filter should happen with the note on event, and not as an envelope follower. Also, I'd like a real ADSR for the filter, and while we're at it - an LFO wouldn't hurt. :)

One last feature I thought of that would be useful in live performances would be to do a "mixer page" where you can set levels of all 8 groups from one screen. Just toggle to it, and each of the knobs controls the level of one of the groups, maybe switchable to pan or sends as well. This would make adjusting levels of different parts very easy.

Cheers!
  2. ew

ew Moderator

Welcome =)

To be honest, I don't see any advantages to adding ReWire support over having Maschine as a plugin. The rest of your ideas are good ones, though.

ew
  3. ArtistName

ArtistName Forum Member

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong, but doesn't setting the tabs to MASTER/SRC already give you exactly this?
  4. audioel

audioel NI Product Owner

suggestions

ArtistName: Thank you! You're totally right. I see that screen now. :)

EW: The difference between Maschine as a plugin and as a rewire slave/master is how difficult it is to route multiple midi tracks to a single instance of the plugin. Reason's rewire integration with Live is excellent - and it works similarly well with PT, Logic, etc.

Dealing with multiple outs and multiple midi channels with one instance of a plugin is a bit more difficult than running midi to a rewire slave. I just would prefer the more elegant solution.
  5. vinceprice

vinceprice NI Product Owner

I must say I agree. But I think NI would have to pay to use rewire. Don't quote me on that. But I think that ReWire is one of the best ways to link Maschine with the daw as well. Does NI have anythinig that takes advantages of rewire? I'm not sure but I would say this to those who wouldn't use it. You might not use it but for those who would why not have it as an option?
  6. ArtistName

ArtistName Forum Member

I'd also like ReWire support. I prefer using MASCHINE as a standalone and this together with well implemented MIDI I/O would make it a breeze to use MASCHINE as a central sequencer and switch board for all my soft- and hardware sound modules. Using MASCHINE as a plugin is currently not very pleasant. Things like the lack of fullscreen mode or that the PLAY button and TEMPO knob, among many other things, don't work like in standalone. I use MASCHINE because I prefer the groovebox/MPC workflow over using a DAW. Having to run MASCHINE inside a DAW for everything a little more fancy somehow misses the point.
  7. ew

ew Moderator

How would it be any different? If you're using multiple MIDI tracks to drive your ReWire app (which you would be unless you exported the MIDI first), I fail to see any difference. After all, you're sending separate MIDI tracks to each device in a Reason rack- what's the difference? Zero.

ew
  8. audioel

audioel NI Product Owner

Do you use Logic or ProTools? Granted it's not that different in Live, but it is a bit more complex in other applications.

No need to get testy here - you can disagree with me if you like, but I'm suggesting what I see the application needs in order to fit into MY way of working.

Additionally - I discovered that there's already sample start point modulation. So very happy to see that on there. Now just get a multimode filter as part of the voice architecture (not as an effect) with an envelope triggered by the note-on event, and I'd be happy.
    ---
    Another idea I just had would be to have the note repeat button work to re-trigger the transport restart button. :)

The idea there would be hold note repeat, hold restart, and playback would re-trigger at whatever grid division note repeat is set to.
    ---
    I just found the filters! And the voice mode parameters! :)
  9. ew

ew Moderator

Who's getting testy? I'm just asking...

What ReWire apps do I use? Sonar, Live and Reason.

ew
  10. alkrantz

alkrantz New Member

I agree with adioel, you do seem to be a bit "on edge" about it ew. Sorry if you don't like hearing that.

In any event I would also like to see rewire support. Hopefully this is something they will implement.
  11. bambamstudio

bambamstudio NI Product Owner

why not? i posted this a few weeks ago. Rewire works better for this kind of sofwtare than VSTi. You can slave MASCHINE to reason. And think about the possibilties for going live with MASCHINE and ableton
  12. audioel

audioel NI Product Owner

I think that due to the large number of tracks and potential automation parameters, additionally the much-needed ability for Maschine to be able to control the tempo and use the transport controls on the contoller - Rewire is a much needed feature.

Maschine rewired to Ableton Live makes much more sense than using it as a plugin. Additionally, it makes using it in PT or other hosts a lot easier with multiple tracks of automation.

It would also let Reason and Record users (when Record ships) run Maschine.

Seems like a natural fit to me.
  13. alkrantz

alkrantz New Member

Agreed completely.
  14. tysonviolin

tysonviolin Forum Member

EW- the advantages would be great. It would be less buggy in general, but one big advantage is that tempo changes in Ableton wouldn't glitch out. I don't mind an audio glitch now and then ,but when the track loses a beat, THAT'S BAD.... hehe. One more thing, Maschine's programs load much faster in standalone then in VSTi.
  15. shephurd

shephurd Forum Member

Honestly, I would rather Re-Wire something than use a plugin.. anyday

The other peeps have said good reasons why it needs it, and I was juuust about to write a thread on this aswell..

Im looking to get Propellerheads Record, I would also like to use my maschine in there... instead of using it as a plugin in live, then re-wiring live to record etc..

+1 for Re-Wire
  16. audioel

audioel NI Product Owner

Looks like Rewire is a popular wishlist feature.

http://www.traktorworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97620

The huge advantage over using midi loop-backs and virtual audio drivers is that rewire is sample-accurate, and well supported in almost every app out there. It would make Maschine just so much more useful.
  17. asdf989

asdf989 Forum Member

The best reason is that the fricken keyboard would work for Maschine finally. Currently the cntrl-c /cntrl-v /-r/-u shortcuts for undo, redo, cut paste don't work while under a plugin in ableton. Even using the options.txt 'trick' in ableton.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.