1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Sample Tempo Detection?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Dnaught14, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dnaught14

Dnaught14 New Member

I'm new to sequencing and sampling. I was curious about getting an MPC1000 but the more I look into it the more i like the Maschine. Before i buy it though, can someone explain to me how you can match the tempo of an external sample, say off a record, to the maschine's tempo. And then in addition protools. I assume the plugin and protools sync tempo wise, but can you and how would you take a sample and either find/detect it's tempo, and the speed it up or slow it down to your liking. If this is an easy task, I'll buy one today.
  2. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

I think you need timestretching for this, which Maschine can not do yet. (I'm sure it will be coming but don't hold your breath)

This means you have to use Maschine's sampling mode to slice the sample into different trasients to trigger off each pad, or it sounds awfully out of time
  3. Dnaught14

Dnaught14 New Member

so you cant make any adjustments to the sample you bring in tempo wise? Timestretch would maintain the pitch but slow or speed up the tempo. I don't care about that as much, becuase you can always go back into your DAW and adjust the pitch with third party software, or i think protools even comes with one. I just want to know if you play a record, but dont know the tempo, what process you need to do to get the sample and the Maschine on the same beat and same tempo.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. Danny_Carnage

Danny_Carnage Forum Member

There's a tap tempo function on Maschine which you could use to match it's tempo to a record.
  5. Dnaught14

Dnaught14 New Member

6. ArtistName

ArtistName Forum Member

From your description it sounds like timestretching, which MASCHINE currently can't do. It's one of those 'how can you ship such a product without this' type thing for me, and it has been mentioned here many times on the forums. You'll have to resort to a DAW or another sampler to change a sample's speed without affecting its pitch.

That being said, I'm very happy with MASCHINE. It's great! Just make sure you read the forum a bit so you're not disappointed later because of a missing feature. There are a few like timestretching, an arpeggiator, missing slicing options etc. that I found to be puzzling omissions. But hey, it's version 1.x ;-)
  7. Dnaught14

Dnaught14 New Member

I don't really care about the pitch or time stretch. I just want to know if you can quickly identify and match the tempo via auto choping or other means...make sense?
  8. sowari

sowari Moderator

if you drag a sample from the Browser and place it on a Sound, and then put it into sample edit mode and then Slice, there is an Auto BPM choice.

sowari
  9. pawcut

pawcut Forum Member

first of all , the samples are all taken of 1 track , so u just slow them all down the same level , magic done ! (great work , knock)
    i prefer tempo detection by tapping tempo while holding shift and fine-tune with my ears , any kind of auto -tempo detection didnt worked the way i expected so far , might be different with 4 to the floor -beats
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.