1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Setting up Kontakt player to receive midi from USB trigger (drums)

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by ProDigit, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProDigit

ProDigit Forum Member

Hi guys,

I'd like to run Kontakt player drums with a midi drum set (with Alesis iO module).
    The drumset is (hopefully) arriving in a couple of weeks.

How do I set up my drums to trigger the right samples (eg: my snare to trigger the snare sample, hi-hat to trigger the hihat sample etc..)?

Since I can not rightclick on the keyboard and assign every note to a certain pad...
    I suspect I could replug the pads on the back of my iO module, but is there another way?

Wanna test it out on the Free Factory samples first, before purchasing the Kore pop drums. (I know in kore player might have another way of setting up the kit, but I'll ask more about that later, when I have a drumset available).

Thank you!
  2. ew

ew Moderator

If you can change the MIDI note numbers the pads send out, you can go that way. Otherwise, you need to use the mapping editor in the player. Note that with any content not specifically tagged by NI for use in the player that you'll be in Kontakt demo mode- timeouts after 30 minutes and no saving.
    The Kore player's uneditable as far as mapping, etc. goes.

ew
  3. ProDigit

ProDigit Forum Member

Thank you ew,

Is there any compatibility with Alesis drumsets, or am I to expect a catastrophe with Kore pop drums?

Also how can I change the midi signal? I haven't received the Alesis iO module yet, but is it going through there, or am I forced to use a software solution to this (I read that perhaps MidiOx could do the trick...)
  4. ew

ew Moderator

I can't tell you; I've never used the Alesis.

In the Alesis, you should be able to specify what MIDI note numbers are being sent.

ew
  5. ProDigit

ProDigit Forum Member

Thanks! I hope to bring some light on this in the open source community, although at the moment the only thing holding me back is the pricetag of the set.
    after consideration I still find $699 quite much.

The only thing I really need is a MIDI connection to my computer, and 2zone snare and ride (for ride and bell sound. I don't use choke).

I want Alesis because they use midi over USB, which is easy to connect my laptop to.
    So far most drumkits are too expensive, and those that are below $400 don't offer dual zone inputs, or if they do, some don't even offer regular midi out (I prefer midi over USB).

I might get a second hand Roland, if it has what I need.
    So once I have my drums, I'll update this thread.

Thanks!
  6. ProDigit

ProDigit Forum Member

In the end I went with a Roland HD1 V-lite kit, and hope to just up it with better sounds.
    I did it because of it's small size, and we live in a small appartment with little space available.

Now to find how to be able to trigger the different samples from the pads.
    In the free factory bundle the pop kit does not work, but the funk kit works perfectly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.