1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Side chain compression in Maschine?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ThomasGreco, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

Can I sidechain Bass patches and Kik drums ala Dance music techniques within Maschine?
  2. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

3. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

The only way to do this right now is if you route the audio in a DAW. BTW, you can still sum to stereo with routed audio, so if you have your song arranged in scene mode, or are comfortable with either performing it live to record it, or controlling scene changes via MIDI or CC#s its actually easy to route only your kick drum and bassline to their own outputs, and everything else to its own, and then that all routes to the stereo out.

It'll be much nicer when this is handled in standalone though. It has become such a staple in dance music, and folks like Dilla used it to great effect in hip hop.
  4. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

Ya you would think with a Library like Maschines a side chain option in plugin or stand alone would be simple considering alot of the Library is geared towards Dance/ Techno music.
  5. Ben Grimm

Well, if you have it in plugin mode, its simple enough to set up two instances of Maschine, with your bassline set up in one, so you can sidechain compress it. Its a little bit of a pain, but not as bad as trying to figure out a way to do it in standalone (outboard equipment? LOL).

Its funny, I really don't consider the library to be dance oriented, but maybe I just haven't been digging in the right places, hehe. Although, I do mostly use my own sounds or from specific sample libraries for really gritty vinyl sounds.
  6. sowari

sowari Moderator

this has been a feature request for some time.... but to implement it is not so simple as you might think. anyway, i am hoping it will be there in the next major update, (there were some encouraging noises in a recent Maschine On Record)... and no, i don't know when that will happen.

and side-chaining is huge in the Hip hop world as well ;)

sowari
  7. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

Ya I should reword, the Library is definitely not just Dance oriented. It's filled with all kinds of goodies for sure. The Vinyl stuff is very cool. I like the 60's kit stuff as well. I could run 2 instances as a VST for sure just was looking for something simpler but I guess it's easy enough :)
  8. Ben Grimm

I am pretty it will be simpler very soon, but in the meantime, that's a really fast workaround if you don't want to set up the audio routing to different tracks. Either way works, just depends on your workflow.
  9. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

Oh I do route to different tracks with one instance I just wanted to use Mashines compressors and not any DAW plugs but that's my option for now. Thanks
  10. AikiGhost

AikiGhost NI Product Owner

Nope not yet but you can simulate it by using gain automation on the group out stage. I've tried it and it works fine.
  11. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

How do you do that?
  12. dopebeat

dopebeat NI Product Owner

use multi outputs and side chain on the bass
    works pretty good for me

Love Maschine!
  13. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

You have to have your kick or kicks set to one group and your bass's or bass set to another group I totally get that. You cannot however if your kick is part of a full drum kit in one group though. you cant separate the kick from the rest of the kit though ( Snare ,Hat's ect....) and sidechain to the bass group which of course is a separate track in Ableton as is your kit. You need to have kicks and bass's on separate groups and separate tracks in Live. I cant wait till you can sidechain within maschine it self from sound to sound,sound to anther group ect... Wouldn't that be sweet!
  14. sowari

sowari Moderator

you can send individual Sounds out from within a Group.

sowari
  15. ThomasGreco

ThomasGreco Forum Member

Sure but if your recording separate groups to separate tracks in Ableton and Group A is your kit and Group B is your Bass can you send your Kick Drum from group A to Group B's (Bass Track ) track in Live as a compression side chain? Don't think so if your recording midi data into lives sequencer with all 8 groups split into 8 separate tracks in Live.
  16. Luigi

Luigi Forum Member

Do you know if there is any tutorial for this?
  17. synthe

synthe NI Product Owner

here is what i am doing for my 4/4 electro stuff: ;)

when i have a variation of a bassline ready, i resample and slice it up so that i have 4 slices per bar, then i simply apply attack to the amp envelope of the sliced bass...
  18. MIDI-IN-Kartell

MIDI-IN-Kartell Forum Member

Sidechaining + timestretch + VSTI (or NI instrument integration) = killer app.
  19. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

Sidechaining + timestretch + VSTI (or NI instrument integration) = killer app + windows file browsing from the controller + mp3 support = undisputed champ
  20. Luigi

Luigi Forum Member

What do you think about this tutorial? Any suggestion about the right VST compressor?
    L
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.