1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Sweet Child O' Mine Tone

Discussion in 'Tone Workshop' started by lrers, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Hello guys i don't remember where i found this preset for Slash's tone on Sweet Child o Mine but i played around with it making some adjustments and wanted to know what you think about it.

I'm posting an mp3 recorded directly with GR3 using a backing track played on taper deck 1 and recording it with taper deck 2.

It was recorded just using GR3 and Kontroll Rig 3 and then converting the wav file using itunes.

The final result it seems to me that is a little bit more dirty (overdriven) than what i seem to hear directly from my earphones but i still think is pretty close to the record.

After the solo i just messed really bad with the song but i hope you get the idea :D .

Let me know your thoughts i'm still a newbie on all this, and i'm trying to master the tone as closer to the original i can.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/869bc422-6c4e-400a-8f49-797a782a5e62/SCOM-LRERS-LQ

regards,
    luis.
  2. kope

kope NI Product Owner

it's really good.
  3. jshep0102

jshep0102 NI Product Owner

Very nice work. Best Slash tone I've heard yet(Not that I've heard them all). I've not used GR3 to record except in my host. Cool. Well played.
    Please post your setup from the point the cable leaves your guitar and a preset.
    Rock on, Shep
  4. mrlevi

mrlevi Forum Member

Excelent Job!

Post your setting asap! :)
  5. themaestro668

themaestro668 New Member

This sounds pretty damn good. I was trying to think of some input but I don't really have any. Props on the bass work as well. Can you post these amp settings?
  6. pixelbox

pixelbox Forum Member

I think it sounds really damn close! Great job. I wonder if you can put some more high-mids in the lead tone (it sounds a little too "round" to me, i fyou understand my meaning.)? But only slight! This is an excellent attempt! Please post your settings!
  7. mrlevi

mrlevi Forum Member

pixelbox: Stop Criticizes Him! You can cut your damn hight-mids after he posted the preset! ;)
    Don't scare him away! :)
  8. pixelbox

pixelbox Forum Member

Sorry, was trying to critique positively not negatively...hence the "great job" comment. Don't be scared! Post teh awsum settings, plz! :)
  9. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Hahaaaha don't worry guys thanks for all your comments! i'll be exporting the presets to post 'em later. I'm working on another one for Welcome to the Jungle based on this one when i have more time i'm gonna post it too.

Regards,
    luis.
  10. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Ok guys as promised here you'll find a bank i made of presets for SCOM and WTTJ.

I'm using Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Edition, with an Ibanez S470. for SCOM i start playing with HB Neck for the intro then switch to
    SC for the first part of the Verse and HB Neck for the second part of it. Then HB Neck until the End except for the crunchy parts witch i use HB Bridge.

Load the preset as it is for the intro then switch to the clean one for verse and then switch again for the Chorus.
    I'm using the Phaser for the brief solos lowering down just a little bit the volume knob on my guitar for a different feeling.
    For the main Solo i use the Stomp Compressor on HB Neck and then load the Wah pedal you know when... That's it!

For Welcome to the Jungle i use pure HB Bridge the whole song, adding Compressor and distortion just for some parts of the different solos. For the slow part just play with the volume knob.

Hope they sound great on your setup feel free to make some adjustments i'm not going to take credit for these presets cause i know i downloaded somewhere else and just tweaked 'em to my taste but any improvement will be welcome ;)

Here is the mp3 for WTTJ its just a raw version of it i'm still working on it, if the !@#FER "Snapshots" worked on my GR3
    it would be easier cause i'm trying to get all the sound with just one preset but they just don't work! :angry:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/c503fb28-729d-4de4-8478-08f1f3abc935/WTTJ-LRERS-Last

Regards,
    luis.​

Attached Files:

11. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Is everything ok with the download?

regards,
    luis
  12. mrlevi

mrlevi Forum Member

Hi Luis,

Many Thanks for the presets!
    I think we all have been so busy to play with them :)

They sound really good.
  13. pixelbox

pixelbox Forum Member

They do sound good! I wish they weren't so noisy, but that's not your fault.
  14. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Sorry to hear that Pixelbox they are actually pretty steady on my setup. Are you using Noise gate on your Input? I got mine setup around 50% and rarely found a noisy preset.

regards,
    luis.
  15. pixelbox

pixelbox Forum Member

Yeah, it got better when I did that, I just worry that the noise gate/suppressor will suck out some of the tone.
  16. lrers

lrers NI Product Owner

Well yeah it will but not that much. By the way are u using the presets on HQ or LQ? Just wondering.
  17. greenfeld69

greenfeld69 NI Product Owner

I just thought I'd give this a go for fun, as it's the first song I learned (oh, so long ago!) and it sounds EXCELLENT.

Great job. First I've downloaded - any recommendations?
  18. pixelbox

pixelbox Forum Member

Hmm...ya know what? I haven't checked! I will today though! :)
  19. Tom Platz

Tom Platz Forum Member

Luis,

Fantastic job! The tone is very, very close! But, I must ask... where did you get the backing track? Could you share, or point me to where I can get my own copy?

Thanks much!
    Tom
  20. Lastcaress83

Lastcaress83 NI Product Owner

Are you THE Tom Platz?

www.tomplatz.com
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.