1. Updated TRAKTOR hardware drivers for Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10

If you are currently running Mac OS 10.9 or 10.10:

There is an important new driver update available for your TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK1, AUDIO 2 DJ, AUDIO 4 DJ, or AUDIO 8 DJ. These drivers fix an issue which occasionally caused the hardware to disconnect.

We strongly recommend this update to anyone using these TRAKTOR products with Mac OS 10.9 or 10.10 to ensure the best possible hardware performance.

To install the latest driver, please follow the link for your device and select version 2.7.0 to download.

Update TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK1
    Update AUDIO 2 DJ
    Update AUDIO 4 DJ
    Update AUDIO 8 DJ

If you are currently running Mac OS 10.8 or lower, please disregard this update.

Syncing jungle/drum and bass

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Bassrydah, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bassrydah

Bassrydah New Member

Hi,

I'm running Traktor using only an external mixer with no controllers. When I load drum and bass tracks onto a deck the bpm will read approximately either 85 or 170. Now sometimes when I load the next track and try to auto sync it either plays twice as fast or half as slow as it should. I'm not exactly sure how the bmp is read but I imagine with something like jungle its not as consistent as with reading solid 4/4 beats. Any tips on how I can either correct or work around this problem?

Thanks for any help.
  2. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

I'm not familiar w/ the sync feature or dnb, but if you have all your bpm's set at the same scale you should be good (have all the dnb at 85-range or 170-range, not mixed).. You can change the bpm in the grid area, by clicking the /2 or x2 buttons, or by just re-entering it yourself manually, in the browser area.
  3. MScharbach

MScharbach New Member

Disable sync and mix the old fashion way...by ear. Just a suggestion.
  4. danno1234

danno1234 Forum Member

The bpm is calculated during analysis and you're correct, sometimes traktor does struggle a little with faster stuff and can't decide wether it should be 85 or 170 bpm.
    Have a look through your collection and reset all bpm's to the higher or lower figure (whichever you prefer but 170 is probably correct)
    Do this by unlocking the track, reset the bpm by using x2 button then lock the track again. The bpm should be now forever set at these figures so you can sync away to your hearts content :)
  5. user187

user187 Forum Member

learn how to beat match by ear 1st and do it that way ingorin the bpm count

failin that use the beat tap function to set a new bpm for the track
  6. Bassrydah

Bassrydah New Member

I'm not sure your familiar with the old fashion way, which is the same way I've been spinning jungle for the past 13 years, it involves 2 (or sometimes 3) turntables and a mixer, no laptop, no cdj's, no time code vinyl, no software. I'm experimenting with the software to see if Traktor is the way I DJ in the future before purchasing an interface and control vinyl. Also, how can anyone accurately beat match by dragging the pitch shifter with a mouse?
    ---
    Thanks for the other tips, it seems like manually locking in a bpm for each track is the most practical solution. I figured there was a way to do this but couldn't figure out how.
  7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

you have to decide whether you want to have your tracks double or halftime, e.g. 85 or 170 bpm.
    this is similar to dubstep where you could interpret the music as 70 or 140 bpm.

you just have to choose one route and set your bpms accordingly. reducing the range in traktors pref before analyzing helps, otherwise you gotta do that by hand.
  8. MScharbach

MScharbach New Member

Actually I am. Its the same way i have been doing for equal amount of years. Before sync buttons. I just jumped the gun a bit and apologize for that.

But before i got a Kontrol s2 i managed to beat match and cue up using just a kontrol x1 and the keyboard. it was a bit annoying but i managed to work it out. Anyways hope you find a digital set up that works best for you.
  9. DJ REDSS

DJ REDSS Forum Member

if you have one track at 85bpm and one at 170bpm you double the 85bpm or halve the 175bmp then it will sync better.
    ---
    The old fashion way to beatmatch was by ear and without a pitch slider if you're old enough to remember. I don't think many if anyone beatmatches like that anymore. If you've never tried it give it go and tell me how well your mixes go. :D
  10. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator Moderator

I'm apparently too young... How did you beat match without a pitch slider?
  11. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

Pitch sliders have been around since before DJ's, ha. I read an interesting piece on why this is. And it comes down to record manufacturers having a varying rpm war - many, many years ago.
  12. DJ REDSS

DJ REDSS Forum Member

Here's a bit from wiki relating to the history of beatmatching:
    Beatmatching was invented by Francis Grasso in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Initially he was counting the tempo with a metronome and looking for records with the same tempo. Later a mixer was built for him by Alex Rosner which let him listen to any channel in the headphones independently of what was playing on the speakers; this became the defining feature of DJ mixers. That and turntables with pitch control enabled him to mix tracks with different tempo by changing the pitch of the cued (redirected to headphones) track to match its tempo with the track being played by ear. Essentially, the technique he originated hasn't changed since.

Get tunes with matching or very close BPM and slip cue

The Pitch slider was the the sync button of old but I don't remember any haters it was a God send as it made beatmatching so much easier.
    I love my sync button but it's one of many tools I use to mix not the only tool:cool:
  13. Krotos

Krotos New Member

To get a better BPM on your tracks set the high and low BPM ranges to 100 & 200 in the options.

Works much better :)

BTW, I do beat match by ear, I just use Traktor to get a good rough speed, then tune by ear :)
  14. DJ MiCL

DJ MiCL Moderator Moderator

I thought I ought to post this once in a while.

Even if you prefer to beat match by ear, you should set tight beat grids for loops, beat jumps, effects, moving loop to sample decks, etc...

But if you do that, there will be no "get a good rough speed" because you will always get a tight sync with one push of the button.

In short, no matter how well you can beat match by ear, as long as you don't make good use of the sync button, you are not making good use of the software.
  15. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Agreed plus effects and the loop recorder.need sync
  16. rjrrmjet

rjrrmjet NI Product Owner

^ What she said...