Syncing Two Computers with Traktor Pro - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by mgerrard10, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgerrard10

mgerrard10 NI Product Owner

Hello,

So with the last version of Traktor I used OSC to successfully sync with another computer. From what I can see this no longer exists in the new version but that they have allowed for syncing via midi.

So I have my two Apple laptops connected via two Audio 8's and followed all the instructions in the manual. I click play and sync on the one computer and lo and behold the other computer picks up the signal and matches the BPM. At this point I am thinking this is great and I am ready to rock. The problem is that the BPM fluctuates on the receiving computer. For example if it is trying to match to 124 BPM it will fluctuate from 123.90 to 124.10 and then back down again. No matter what I do with the midi offset it doesn't stop this problem and renders the whole exercise of trying to sync two computers useless. I realize with a new version of the program this feature is probably way down on the list but I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm the same behaviour and also if someone from Native Instruments could confirm they have seen this before. At least then we will now it is on the radar.

Thanks.

Cheers,

DJ M.Gerrard
  2. geoffscott1

geoffscott1 Forum Member

I have not used midi clock much before but when i tried to sync my mixers midi clock to Traktor i had the same fluctuating bpm. Made syncing the two effects units on the mixer worthless.
  3. aka201

aka201 NI Product Owner

dear mgerrard10,
    we switched our 2 notebook system to traktor pro yesterday and tried to sync via midi. it works great, but you are right, there ist some fluctuation in the display (also it is less then you mentioned) - but only on the display, the audio is perfect.

another thing:
    we also tried to sync a traktor 3 and traktor pro system (midi send from t3 to tp input, is the only option as t3 can not receive midi clock) - it absolutely does not work. i could not figure out what the problem was, but it sounded like a massive latency.
  4. mgerrard10

Aka201,

Thanks for your comments. Interesting to hear that the audio sounds fine. I tried to sync the two computers again last night and there is absolutely no way that I could play out with it. The syncing is about 95% there but it moves ever so much out and as you know just being out a little is enough to ruin the entire mix. The fluctuating BPM number moves so quickly it is hard to see the range but if I am trying to match to 124 BPM I definitely see numbers ranging from 123.9 to 124.0.

Traktor Scratch Pro
    Audio 8
    Macbook Pro
    M-Audio UC-33e
    Akai MPD 24
  5. dj-highdef

dj-highdef Forum Member

say you get this 2 work.. I have 2 laptops to audio 8's 2 mixers.

if 2 people are mixing how do you que the tracks?
  6. mgerrard10

I actually plug my headphones into the Audio 8 and then que using the software.
  7. aka201

aka201 NI Product Owner

hmm, we also tried this in a live-situation, and wow: we had troubles. too much latency. we got the 2 systems nearly synced, but the 100ms, you can adjust in the settings, were not enough. somewhere in the chain, we produced way too much latency.
    by now, i did not figure out what happend, two fast machines with clean systems, native instruments soundcards....
    anyone else having THIS issue?
  8. dj-highdef

dj-highdef Forum Member

i was thinking,,,2 people using 2 laptops with 2 set of headphones 2 sounds cards 2 traktors pro. how would each person cue the master and the cued track
  9. mgerrard10

How I have done it in the past is that I use one mixer. The one person using the mixer can cue with up to 3 channels. The other person plugs into one channel on the mixer and then uses the internal mode to cue their tracks. As for hearing the master, that is what monitor speakers are for.
  10. Project333

Project333 NI Product Owner

like mgerrard10 says...
    "that is what monitor speakers are for."

in this case...
    when i mix a song...
    i just need to cue up the next song...
    and i don't need to cue the current song (master CH)...

the hard part of using 2 set of mixer is:
    u n your partner need to practicing the timing of when to turn down the fader...

but if you mix a song with multycue system, by cueing 2ch simultaneously, n hear for the drift...
    (actualy this is not profesional)
    you can't....
  11. mgerrard10

Anyone got this to work yet?
  12. geoffscott1

geoffscott1 Forum Member

Syncing

I dont know about syncing over ethernet or anything, but i noticed with the new 1.1 update it was no issue to sync ableton and traktor on the same system. There was no noticeable latency issues, and the audio stayed on track for a couple of hour with no noticeable sound distortion. I think with the new midi sync you would have much better results syncing via usb-midi or ethernet.
  13. mgerrard10

I am happy to report that with the new Traktor version 1.1 I am able to sync with a friend no problem. It took a bit to get it dialed in with the midi offset and deciding which computer sends and which one receives but it is all good now. (It was better to send midi out from a Mac going to the other computer which was a PC) The only small issue is that every 5 minutes or so you need to hit the sync button on the sending computer otherwise they go out. Otherwise it works great. I am hoping the next release might fix this.
  14. flyboy

flyboy NI Product Owner

Ok i have a similar problem.
    I send midi clock from traktor 3.2 to sync visuals in resolume.
    it works great. perfect.
    BUT! when i send it using traktor pro it does not.
    If i send it at 126bpm, resolume picks it up at 200bpm.
    Does any body know what could cause this?
  15. Dean Newton

Dean Newton New Member

How were you connecting the two, with ethernet or midi cables?
  16. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

doenst seem to work with 1.2.2, has anyone got it working!
  17. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

18. belchman

belchman NI Product Owner

if anyone's still listening to this thread - got a problemo...

When I sync'd 2 latptops running Traktor Pro with different controllers, via midi out from 1 to in on the other (both Audio 8 souncards) - the BPM fluctuation thing happened, but wasn't mega serious..

the serious part was when i started bashing buttons on my controller, and it sent CC midi commands to the corresponding mapped controls on the other laptop (which actually got quite funny when we noticed, as my 'pause/play' would be his 'LFO'; my sync his beatmasher... wasn't going to work)

We searched far and wide, but to no avail - is there a way to simply send the midi clock and nothing else?
  19. gallsey

gallsey New Member

Can anyone put this to bed? Dont want to take the chance running this sorta setup in a nightclub for it to fail :confused: !
  20. johnny a

johnny a Forum Member

tell me about it, me and my mate are goin to try it next week but surely it must work by now with all the new updates!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.