Traktor 2.6 post fader fx?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by DJ React, Oct 26, 2012.

1. DJ React

DJ React Forum Member

I'm using a djm-t1 and can't quite figure out how to make the post fader fx work. Now i'm really hoping that they don't only work on internal mode and won'tl work with an external mixer. Any help would be awesome
  2. brocklambert

brocklambert Forum Member

Internal mode only indeed.
  3. DJ React

DJ React Forum Member

That blows what's the point unless you're using a Z2 or a controller. That really sucks
  4. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

actually it doesnt blow as much as you think with the djm-t1 ... you will just need to be in midi mode with your t-1..... and map the djm-t1 to work internal mode with traktor and your djm-t1 becomes the Z2 so to speak
  5. DJ React

DJ React Forum Member

I would have rather had it just work then having to go into midi mode and map anything more. It's just surprising that they couldn't make it work without having to be in internal mode. I know they work post fader in serato
  6. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

thats is because the rane mixer is communicating with the serato software the same way that the z2 communicates with traktor.
  7. DJ React

DJ React Forum Member

That's what I figured but thought NI would make some kind of magic like they do. Oh well honestly it's not that big of a deal to me cause I'm really diggin everything else.
  8. longshot22

longshot22 Forum Member

Has anyone got this working?
  9. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

It can't work in anything but internal mode and won't work with anything but the z2 unless you can map a fader to be both volume control on the DJM-t1 and a midi controller volume fader.

That's what must be happening on the Z2.

The only other way is if each channel has a send knob to the FX units and you have a separate cable out of your soundcard into your send/return on your mixer

Maybe something like the Xone-92 will allow it, but I haven't downloaded 2.6 yet to test
  10. dej47

dej47 NI Product Owner

Unfortunately I don't think this will work with the DJM T1 and even if it did it sort of cripples the mixer. First you won't have any LED feedback on the mixer for each respective channel, you will only see the master output.

And I think because of the way the DJM T1 routes audio the crossfader won't work. Basically there is a very good reason the T1 dropped in price yet again. They would had post fader fx long before the Z2.

However this is really Pioneer's fault, they could have had post fader fx on the T1 the day it launched by using Traktor's built in send/return routing. All they had to do was have enough channel to make that routing possible.
  11. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

my t1 is in repair but i am pretty sure it will work . i played around with midi mapping the faders before sending the mixer to pioneer
  12. nikoStar

nikoStar Forum Member

Again on the wrong end of the stick. I think that there has to be a way to map this. Although I tried to map the buttons to work for the samples like how they work for the cue points but i couldn't figure it out... Maybe if we could get the mapping for the z2...
  13. Mob One

Mob One NI Product Owner

To the op :
    Post fader fx isn't possible in external mode unless your mixer has a send and receive fx loop on it. That and an available stereo input and output on your audio card.

That isn't NI's fault, it's the way things work in the analogue domain. So the T1 is screwed for the analogue way of doing things only because pioneer didn't put a physical send return ( unlike the 707 and the 909, and their 4 channels mixers ).

Now, it works in internal mode. I'm not too familiar with the T1, but did have a look at the manual on Pioneer's web. It seems that using the T1 in traktor's internal mode in indeed a problem for the T1, as the led meters are unable to be controlled by Traktor's midi output. But the core functionality should be attainable (eq, levels, crossfader maybe, and of course the rest of the midi controls).
    Maybe, with a firmware update Pioneer could add this functionality. However, it's really in Pioneer's hands to fix this.

As an example, i know that you can use the denon dn x 1600 with traktor in internal mode, and have the led meters driven by traktor's midi output. Thus giving acces to traktor's post fader fx and not loosing anything in the process.
  14. nikoStar

nikoStar Forum Member

So you can have post fader fx with the DJM-T1, its not that hard actually. Firstly you would need to go into settings -> controller manager, then go in the device setup section and select a new device which would be pioneer djm-t1. This should bring up a blank canvas as far as the assignment table is involved. I then went into add in -> mixer -> x-fader -> position then I mapped that to the x-fader. I then went over to the mixer tab in settings and changed the auto crossfader time to 0.0 sec and the smooth sharp setting about 90% on the sharp side (I scratch so you would need to set this to what is preferable to you) Next I went back to the controller manager section selected add in -> mixer -> volume adjust then selected target to deck A and assigned Ch1.Level. Now this is an area that I spent a little time on, previously I had a Rane 56 and one of the things I really enjoyed was the ability to change the sharpness of the upfader. Well if you change the Interaction mode to Relative, you can play with the values to make the right fit for you. I then went in and assigned the low, mid, high, and gain values to deck A and then repeated the steps for deck B. Lastly I went to the Output Routing tab and changed it to Internal. Now for the most part your Pioneer DJM-T1 acts like a Z2, post fader effects and a 3.3ms latency. No rice Krispies (snap, crackles, and pops) and full control with my turntables. I'm gonna continue to add map controls as I figure out what I want to use. BTW, all the other regular buttons and knobs function as normal so you don't have to map them.
  15. DJ React

DJ React Forum Member

This is something I'm gonna give a stab at tomorrow. I was curious if it would work in tandem with the mapping for t1 that's already loaded. Good stuff thanks for the info.
  16. Dj Max-Matic

Dj Max-Matic Forum Member

what about post fader effects with a regular 2 channel external mixer? In my case a pioneer djm-400. Thanks
  17. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

No, it's not possible.

Do you know what post fader FX actually are?
  18. longshot22

longshot22 Forum Member

Got it working! Figured it out about 1 1/2 hours ago. Would have posted earlier, but too busy playing with all the new features.

I'm using A DJM-T1 with timecode vinyl, Traktor on Internal Mode.

I have the mixer all mapped out for internal mode.
    Post Fader effects work. (Awesome!)
    Flux Mode works.
    All fader and knobs control what they are suppose to.

Headphone monitoring needed a work around to get it working.

LED meters for Deck A & B don't work on mixer, but are present on screen. Master output LED's work.

Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6 + DJM-T1 = Not really missing my Rane 62 & SL anymore.

Any DJM-T1 owners with questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, I havent used a Z2 yet, but the major diff between the Z2 & the T1 that I can see is the number of mappable midi controls on the mixer. The T-1 has way more knobs and buttons for customized work flow. I can see myself having to mess with the trackpad and keyboard more with a Z2. Just an observation.
  19. Dj Max-Matic

Dj Max-Matic Forum Member

I was under the impression that post fader effects allow the effect to continue to play despite the fader being down.
  20. longshot22

longshot22 Forum Member

That's the idea. I don't think you will be able to use Traktor's internal post fader effects with your mixer. You need a mixer that can be used with TSP in Internal Mode with mappable faders and the output routing ability to send the master signal from Traktor through the master output of the mixers soundcard, bypassing the mixers channel and crossfaders. I think the only 2 mixers that can do this at this time are the Z2 (in traktor mode) and the DJM-T1.