1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

traktor on ubuntu

Discussion in 'General DJ Discussion' started by hepatox, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hepatox

hepatox New Member

hi sorry for my bad english

i have traktor 3.2 with vestax vc100 in windows xp, and i wanna know if anyone have information for how to run traktor on ubuntu, really i hate windows, and seems to forward versions is more unstable, have vista too, and in vista i have much problems in long sets, in xp is normal but for all my other activities i find replaces in ubuntu, the only reasson for keep windows is marvelous traktor, so i awanna know if anyone knows how to run in ubuntu, thanks for any help.

by the other side NI must be consider the posibillity to make an alternative to traktor for ubuntu day to day we are more users of linux, even when i find DJing software for ubuntu, there is no equal to traktor , i wish one day exist an aplication for ubuntu thaks and good luck
  2. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

You could run it in a virtual machine, but I fear the performance will be too bad.

I don't know the details of NI's framework, but that would probably be their least problem.
    They'd have to write drivers for all of their devices because NI as a company can't just port one product.

Compared to the relatively small possible clientele unix-users build it's just not worth the effort for them.

I'm sure they would love to see their products on any platform, but when there is nothing to earn it won't happen.

Have you tried Windows 7 ? It offers a better performance than Vista and is overall better.
  3. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

... or if you're geeky enough build yourself a "hackintosh".
    There's loads of info on the web about get OS X running on all sorts of laptops.
  4. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Can a hackintosh be actually used to DJ or are there any big issues like missing drivers which prevent you from doing so?
  5. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

not the subject as officially Hackintoshing is illegal.. but there's a good amount of laptops and desktop configurations which can install Snow Leopard nearly without tweaking.. so there's no issue and everything works switfly.

Running Traktor on Ubuntu could be done using Wine and Wineasio. I remember doing it successfully with Deckadance for fun but haven't tried with Traktor. Still, as long as linux distribution stay the way they are, serious audio work is not really achievable so for traktor, do yourself a treat with a dual boot and XP running on tehsecond partition and forget about virtualisation.
  6. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

do an internet search for hackintosh+traktor - there's loads of stuff out there...
  7. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Moderator

But dont discuss it on this forum ;)
  8. hepatox

hepatox New Member

yep i tried in a virtual machine but as you say the performance is very very poor.
    and you have right there is no enough user to migrate the sofware to this plataform, i have hope in what one day the people will change gradually to a OS more eficent, and less expensive.
    and no i no tried in win 7 is very expensive in my contry, consumes a lot of resources, and the basic idea is no use windows any more in any version, as i say i hate windows and everything of microsoft, thanks for coment and good luck
    ---
    thanks i will check hackintosh
    ---

too bad that be illegal, and yes my other alternative is migrate to mac OS, is very eficient in audio and video comparing with win.
    i was trying with wine but i cant made run, im noob :eek: , i will check wineasio after i can run traktor. (if know good wineasio is for better performance in lowltency)
    and yep by the moment i use 2 partitions my idea is change definitly to linux, to obtain better performance of my machine and dont waste disk space with win
    thanks for comment and good luck
    ---
    thanks i will check for coriousity
  9. Ali

Ali NI Product Owner

Didn't know about Wineasio yet, but it seems to be a viable option if you only use 1 music-program at a time.
    Just make sure Hardware Virtualization is enabled in your BIOS settings.

Inspired by Kirk, I spend the whole night yesterday building my own hackintosh.

I'm surprised with the overall performance increase but it was a lot of fiddling (no WLAN for my mainboard, had to install NTFS driver to be able to write to my data-HDD).
    Sadly I had one problem while mixing. The NS7's crossfader refused to work after 20 minutes. All other controls still worked. After a restart of Itch it was gone, but I still never experienced this issue on Windows.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.