1. The forum software has recently been updated. If you have comments or feedback, please let us know HERE! If you have arrived via a Google search, please use the forum search feature to locate specific information.

Best wishes,
    The NI Team

Traktor S4 + 5.1 computer speakers

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by aDonisen, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aDonisen

aDonisen New Member

Just bought the S4 and I want to connect it to my logitech z-5500 computer speakers.

On virtual DJ it was possible to choose the computer (through USB) as the output for the sound and still be able to cue listen in the headphones connected to the device.

This doesn't seem possible on the Traktor S4, right?

How do I solve this? The z-5500s only has digital inputs.

So I cant connect 2 RCA cables to it and get full sound. Is there perhaps a soundcard I can buy that manages this?

The z-5500 looks like this at the back:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!
  2. Matty_B

Matty_B Forum Member

When you open traktor pro s4 go to your preferences. On the left you click on audio setup. Go to the drop down next to audio device. Select built in (core audio). So you'll be set up speakers connected to your laptop or computer connected to S4.
  3. QmarcesQ

QmarcesQ Forum Member

why not get a single rca to 3.5mm and run out the unbalanced out of the s4 to the ins of the speaker? there are thousands of adapters out there i am sure plenty can work for what you need.

but yes you can change it to internal mode to play through laptop speakers. but you cant use the main gain knob for volume adjustment if yo udo that.
  4. aDonisen

aDonisen New Member

Hi,

If I do that, I dont have any sound in my headphones. I do get the output through my speakers but I need the headphones too. I have the cue-buttons pushed and tested almost all combinations of settings. When I choose "traktor s4" as the audio device, the headphones work, but not the speakers.

Is there something wrong with my s4?
  5. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor

Your internal soundcard only has one stereo channel. You can either have headphones or your speakers. With S4 you have 2 stereo channels, one for headphones and one for main out. You can only select one of these devices at a time, hence the problem you are experiencing.

The solution is to create an aggregated device in OSX and select that in traktor and select your output routing accordingly. I can't help you further with this as I don't own a mac.
  6. aDonisen

aDonisen New Member

Im using Windows 7 so you can help me :)

I tried the asio4all software to make an aggregated device but didnt get that working either.

Anyone having the same problem as I do? I really want to use my computer speakers as they were quite expensive and they sound great.

@QmarcesQ
    That does not work that Im aware of as the signal from the device is analog and the signal coming in to the z-5500 is digital. If I would connect them, I would only hear sound from some of the speakers, not 5.1. Or am I wrong?
  7. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor

Why don't you get yourself a 3.5mm TRS jack to 2x RCA connectors cable and use your S4 main out to drive the speakers.
  8. KLH

KLH Forum Member

^ +1

And plug your headphones into the S4's headphones jack on the front of the S4.

-KLH
    ---
    Wait a minute. You want the speakers connected to the computer AND you want the S4 to play the main output through the computer AND the cue through the S4's headphone jack...?

If so, this is NOT the way NI intended TPS4 to be used. The computer's sound interface isn't better quality than the S4's...

You should be able to do this in ASIO4All by enabling the computer's outputs and the last two S4 outputs. I'd assume that this is a non-supported configuration.

-KLH
  9. aDonisen

aDonisen New Member

I have already tried this but this only gives me sound in some of the speakers. I need digital signals to go in to my z-5500 and from what I understand the s4 outputs analog signals.

Does a soundcard solve this problem? If so, which one?
    ---
    Yes that is what I mean. That worked in Virtual DJ and that is the only solution I know. How can I do this in another way? I need to convert the s4 analog output to digital signals to go into my z-5500 I think. The z-5500 does not have any analog input.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated!
  10. aDonisen

aDonisen New Member

Please someone help me out here!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.