Why does my Library keep disappearing?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Markarian, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Markarian

Markarian New Member

Okay, I know I must be missing something simple here. I've upgraded to Lion and I'm running Kontakt 4. All of my libraries add and work fine. One of them, Akoustik Piano, has to be re-added every time Kontakt loads in a new session. Kontakt doesn't seem to remember it's there. What am I doing wrong? Is it because it's running in 32 bit mode?

Thanks!
  2. David Das

David Das Moderator

Shouldn't have anything to do with 32-bit mode. Very strange. I haven't heard of this issue before.
  3. Markarian

Markarian New Member

I should also point out when I run the same version of Kontakt and the same libraries on my MacBook, using Lion, everything works right. I'm really stumped :(
  4. timk

timk NI Product Owner

I have exactly the same problem except I did a clean install of Lion. Now I cannot keep libraries loaded between closing down Kontakt and opening it again.

The weird thing is that the Library's do register OK in ServiceCentre but every time I reopen Kontakt I have a blank library page.

Stranger still is the Database is fine - i.e. I can see Multis, Instr for my added libraries (Alicia Keys, Symphobia, CineBrass etc) - of course I can't load them as I get the error message "This patch is encrypted and cannot be loaded unless the respective Library is registered properly"

I think it's either permissions in OSX Lion or something to do with the new autosave and auto versioning functionality.

Tim
  5. Markarian

Markarian New Member

Tim, I think you're on to something. This problem is happening on my Mac Pro, on which I did a clean install. But on my laptop, where Kontakt behaves normally, it was an upgrade install. It's just Akoustik Piano that keeps doing this, but I know that its library structure is different from EWQLSOG or Ra, which are the other libraries I have (and they show up fine). Now if I load AP and select one of its patches to include as being saved in a Multi, then close Kontakt and load the Multi again, the patch loads just fine, but the AP library is still gone! This is really, really strange.
  6. boulderhoops

boulderhoops New Member

The exact same thing is happening to me on my Mac Pro, using lion...
  7. iakom

iakom NI Product Owner

Same Thing

Guys,

I have the same problem with Morphestra. I contact Sample Logic - they are stumped.

I do believe it has to do with versioning, indexing or something - all the original libraries (pre-upgrade) stick around fine. Any new ones I try to add disappear - but look fine (persist) in Service Center.

Let's hope for a NI fix soon - or I guess it's Kontakt 5 for all of us.
  8. MikeOxford

MikeOxford New Member

Hey Guys,
    I have some info that might be useful...
    I had been working on a Macbook Pro 2008 and had all my Kontakt libraries working well. They are installed on an external FW Disc.
    1 week ago or so, I got a new Macbook Pro 2011 with Lion-pre installed.
    I tried to use Kontakt (32bit), but it showed the problem in question: it didn't recall my Libraries after quitting.
    After 1 full day of trying different stuff with no luck, I started comparing files between my Old Macbook Pro and the new one.
    I ended up taking all the Kontakt preferences (com.native-instruments. BLAH BLAH) from Library/Preferences on my old Macbook Pro and putting them into the new one, replacing the ones that were already there.
    Voila! Now it's working fine.
    So now you know the problem resides on the preferences at Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences.
    Hope this will help, it was driving me nuts. :)
  9. timk

timk NI Product Owner

Hi Mike

Thanks for narrowing it down. Sounds like that's the issue. I suppose I'd be stupid for thinking that anyone in NI will pick up on this thread and let us know if it's fixed either 4.2.4 or 5

Sigh

Tim
  10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NI Product Owner

Yeah, this boils down to a "registry" problem (or .plist files issue on Mac). Basically when you updated to Lion, some things changed in there, and I believe it's likely Apple's fault for this than NI's. But that's my guess.
  11. timk

timk NI Product Owner

Well it's definitely something to do with security permissions between Kontakt and OSX (both SL and Lion).

If I manually edit the file "com.native-instruments.Content.plist" and add in strings for each library and save it manually - miraculously the library now appears - although it still doesn't register where the content is and I have to manually find it each time. I guess there is another file that needs to be modified too that will point to the library content. I also have to enter my password each time to allow OSX to overwrite the existing file but at least we seem to be pinpointing the issue

So come on NI - get this fixed!

Tim
  12. timk

timk NI Product Owner

Any of the mods, k4 or k5 dev teams able to comment on this issue?

TIA

Tim
  13. kevinmasseffect

kevinmasseffect New Member

i have same problem! no issue
  14. xgman

xgman Forum Member

Seems like a Lion issue, even with 32bit checked. Any way around this prior to 4.2.4 or ver 5?
  15. kevinmasseffect

kevinmasseffect New Member

they plan to fix that with 4.2.4 and 5?
  16. timk

timk NI Product Owner

Well I hope they will fix it - nobody at NI seems to acknowledge it's a problem at the moment which is worrying.

Tim
  17. matteobohe

matteobohe New Member

Exactly the same problem here.

Best regards
    Matteo
  18. xgman

xgman Forum Member

Based on what was said earlier regarding taking the plist from the SL install to Lion and having the Libraries show, it would seem an easy fix is possible for this if someone at NI would just do it. I think NI is hoping to sell Ver 5 and not paying much attention to Lion issues at the moment. I don't think it is a coincidence that they say lion 64 bit compatibility will be released around the same time as ver 5.
  19. David Das

David Das Moderator

The status sticky thread at the top of this forum clearly states that they are working on 4.2.4 and Lion compatibility.

If the fix was that simple, it would be out by now, but it's not.

It will be out as soon as it's stable!
  20. xgman

xgman Forum Member

Well they apparently fixed it already in the new Kontakt 5 product since many users have already received their pre orders of Komplete 8. I guess older users will have to wait longer.