Music for Submarines
** If you use this instrument and the included snaps in any published material, please give me due credit where you publish it. Also, I respectfully request that you don't publish material that is only using this, playing a few chords and then call it your composition (this is a common request in commercial releases) - make actual productions that it is part of. **
A 3-channel BPM-Synced, playable Post- Industrial soundtrack tool.
On 12 Aug 2000 the Russian nuclear-powered submarine Kursk sank during a drill in the Barents Sea. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster)
It was a mind boggling story back then and on re-reading the Wikipedia article I thought the story would make for a compelling movie.
This synthesizer is an attempt to build a tool for the soundtrack of that movie.
Kursk is a 3 engine synth.
Engine 1 delivers smooth pads and drones
Engine 2 delivers brutal distorted drones and evolving texture
Engine 3 is purely sequencer/Arp driven and deliver rhythmic textures – works only with the clock running.
Together they deliver full bodied soundscapes and weird industrial sound effects. Some snapshots are best as drones, holding down just one or two keys in the low register, some work great when chords are held. All snapshots evolve over time and surprises may occur.
End of chain is “Distoverb” – a fuzzed-out reverb with compression, capable of delivering towering walls of noise, much like a certain “dark cavity” product from a company whose name rhymes with eden-like. This FX unit delivers hours of shoe-gazer fun when applied to guitar.
All buttons and knobs have a short description in the info section and it should be pretty self-explanatory. Also, it’s build to accommodate heavy use of the randomize button. I recommend a setting around 63% for starters.
Demos are all naked snapshots, and there's about 250 of those.
So, keep the clock running and press some keys.
Ver 1.2.1 - 08 16 2018
- minor GUI adjustment
Ver 1.2.2 - 08 16 2018
- Reverb adjustments to reduce probability of runaway feedback
Ver 1.2.3 - 08 16 2018
- Minor clean-up to improve CPU load
Ver 1.2.4 - 08 20 2018
- Minor GUI adjustments: Eng3 background; Oct displays now display octaves rather than semitones.
- Added "User" bank to .ins. On request, including "Init" snapshot
- Added "Колесников" (Kolesnikov) bank by Paule to .ins
- Added "Mare Nostrum" bank to .ens (100 snapshots)
- Added "User" bank to .ens. On request, including "Init" snapshots
Ver 1.2.5 - 08 31 2018
- Changed Eng3 routing to improve fidelity
- Added "Колесников" (Kolesnikov) bank by Paule to .ens
1.6 - Jan 21 2019
Lotsa changes, cant remember all of them
- Eng 2 dirt section
- Eng 2 Seq options
- Eng 3 dirt section
- Eng 3 FX routing
- knob meters changed to LED displays
- Some beat resolutions updated (LFO's, Delay etc)
+ a myriad of little tweaks, hence the drastic version change.
Some snaps may not sound exactly the same as ver 1.2