Emulation of the MOS SID 6581: the C64 sound chip.
This ensemble is a near-perfect emulation of the extraordinary Commodore 64 sound chip. Included are all features of the original hardware:
* Three channels with Triangle, Square/PWM, Sawtooth, Noise and combined oscillators.
* Ring modulation and hard sync.
* The classic SID saturating filter that is incredibly important but missing on most emulations.
* LFOs and envelopes for pulse width, pitch, amplitude and filter cutoff.
* Step table at up to 50Hz for that genuine sound.
No attempt is made to create a better SID. No features are enhanced or improved. This is not the usual 'SID-like' or '8-bit style' synth. This is an attempt to recreate the real thing as closely as possible.
The example sound is Rob Hubbard's title music from the C64 game Delta (which is clearly based on Koyaanisqatsi), as played through this ensemble. The MIDI file is included in the download.
Also included is a MIDI file for Chris Huelsbeck's title screen music from the game R-Type, as demonstrated at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0K8vM_4HQ
I have a blog about the creation of this ensemble at http://insidious6581.blogspot.co.uk
Changes v1.1 (2015/06/09):
* Fixed an issue with the redisplay of the LFO waveforms after changing programs.
* Added a feature to clock the modulation at 50Hz or 60Hz to emulate C64 games more closely and give a slightly more '8-bit' sound.
* Added the ability to hard sync the combined waveforms.
* Added presets for the R-Type title music MIDI file.
* Added a MIDI file for the R-Type title music.