1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

1x as a Sample Librarian

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by hi-d-ho-man, Nov 20, 2016.

1. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

I have an mki and 1x license sitting around doing nothing. I have a folder where I keep third party samples and soundpacks that I currently use in Maschine. But they are picks from my main samples hd. I'm thinking of using my 1x license and mki to import and tag all of the content of the entire hdd to explore my sounds, build groups, and sounds etc.

My question is with 1x & 2x both installed, do I have to worry about the stuff I add to 1x being interfering with my 2x library?

I plan on just installing just the 1x software no library content

Thanks to any replies

2. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

,,,as Maschine v1 & v2 are both different plug-ins with different library paths (if you would install the version 1 library), I don't imagine they could interfere. Then you're planning to use a user folder for your samples, which has also a distinct path, so I can't imagine any problems.

What I'm not getting, though, is the whole process. I can understand that you don't want your MK1 to collect dust as well as not wanting to clutter your Maschine database with gazillions of folders and samples, but I don't quite see the benefit. If I got it right - even if you've created groups & patches etc. in v1 - they will end up in your v2 library (so that you can access them with your MK2) anyway, won't they? And importing and tagging a number of samples, of which only a fraction will end up in the sounds & groups you're actually using, seems like some unnecessary work for me.

And you're not planning to use both controller simultaneously, are you? So I guess, there isn't a workflow benefit on the physical side either. And I'm not sure, if there are some areas, in which the workflows between v1 & v2 differ (though I might be wrong, don't remember exactly). But if there are, that could cause some confusion (e.g. doing a v1 operation on the MK2 and vice versa). I don't know, but to me it seems that all of this could open a can of worms.

So, if I'm right, you might be better off selling the MK1 & the v1 licence or you could keep the controller as a backup unit and the licence for maybe some crossgrade deal (if there are still any, e.g. a Komplete licence, if you already have Ultimate and you want to have the freedom which edition you might upgrade in the future). Or you could donate everything to a youth centre. But anyway, I'd rather make my peace with having a spare licence and unit or I'd get rid of it, but I'm not sure, if (possibly) complicating your workflow and creating some unnecessary extra work might be the way to go...

3. hi-d-ho-man

Well the biggest thing I was looking to avoid was the extended scan time on primary Maschine user library which I think already takes too long. I mostly would be 'broad' tagging by category type, and mfg, loops, multi sample etc. it will also give me an excuse to go through and get rid of duplicates and stuff not worth keeping. And hopefully to find what I'm looking for quicker.

How I came to consider even doing this is that the is a lack of a powerful librarian for Windows. Osx has Snapper and Iced Audio which have good user reviews. Windows compatible options like Basehead are way too costly. Less expensive options are Breezer by Reveal & Sample Librarian by RyAudio. They both more expensive than I think they should be in my opinion, and I'm not convinced that either products are being kept up.

Anyone a sample librarian for windows that they like?

4. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. hi-d-ho-man

Thanks I'll check this out after work tonight