2.8.3 And the future of Maschine???

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 20, 2019.

1. skoolafish

skoolafish NI Product Owner

i think maybe you skimmed or misunderstood my post

or maybe i wasnt clear...im saying that maybe "eject from computer" pointed to a way to do it from the hardware

2. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

I just saw this reply. Lol I like ARA 2 have some issues with it in cubase 10 and stayed away until fixed....

3. DJ RX-78

DJ RX-78 NI Product Owner

I hope that a standalone Maschine becomes a reality.

I would most likely be pretty limited in what it can overall offer in terms of what can be baked in, but I imagine it would have some base features available. Though I imagine that the work flow for Maschine S would be different from standard maschine, but it would be GREAT if you could still plug Maschine S into your computer for standard use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Even when I‘m not interested in a standalone version (except it would provide enough space for all my plugins and content)...
    AKAI has been back again:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DJ RX-78

I have seen this, but the issue I have is that I'm so use to the Maschine workflow that learning something brand new would be a bit jarring. Plus if it's NI made, it would be compatible with other devices.

• Like Like x 1
  6. goridread

goridread NI Product Owner

I think if anything the MPC One makes the Maschine MK3 look _really_ expensive for what it is. $699 vs $799 - why buy a Maschine when you get so much more, unless you're already in the ecosystem.

7. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Well... you'd get a set of high quality and very well responsive pads, a specific workflow that can be easily embedded in all DAW's, a controller from which you can control not only Maschine but Komplete itself as well, and of course not being limited by a predetermined sound engine, but having the ability to expand on this almost endlessly.

Still, IMO the comparison makes little sense. It's like comparing synths with soft synths. Why spend E 1200 on Push + Live (Suite) while you could get a regular synth for a few hundred dollars? IMO the answer should be obvious enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Agreed. The MPC One could never replace Maschine in my workflow. Of course, it depends on how simple a workflow will satisfy the end-user, a lot of people could probably get by with half the features in Maschine or the MPC One. Had the MPC One been battery powered, like the MPC Live, it'd have been a little more compelling, IMO.

9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It makes everything look expensive tbh, including all other MPC's they've ever done previously. You get more in some aspects and less in others.
    It's a bit hard to believe that the MPC One has a decent computer inside at that price point which would scare me in terms of a long-term investment... Something has to be capped, either the software evolves and needs better specs eventually or the software cant evolve much because the hardware isn't fast enough. (??)

If there's one thing the MPC line deserves a lot of credit for is how they use screens with decent resolution and color in their standalones, I dont see any other company in the doing that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Yeah no interest whatsoever in the MPC one coming from Maschine

• Like Like x 1
  11. Faramis

Faramis New Member

It is clear that we are not in the emulation of an autonomous drum machine. The target audience is clearly the beatmaker who make music based on samples. Akai (Alesis?)has been doing mpc for a long time and the software is mature enough.
    "honestly" It seems they did a good job.I will keep an eye on the frequency and the quality of the updates to see what is the best for me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DJ RX-78

One of the biggest complaints currently is that the technology isn't ready to make a standalone Maschine. I agree to an extent that we wouldn't be able to get a standalone that will be an ALL IN ONE OF NATIVE INSTRUMENTS LIBRARIES. Rather, I think if there is something that comes out it's going to be a limited version of what Native Instruments has that is in undocked mode two purposes: Live Performance and Musical Experimentation/Drafting.

The most effective way to utilize a Maschine for producing music for it's final version is not up for debate: It's a studio set up.

Though for me, I would love to have a Maschine that is flexible where I can unplug it from my computer (once in undocked mode), and make beats on the go and load up performance files. It would also have a dedicated battery that you can charge so that you don't always have to be plugged into the wall. In my opinion, that would be a HUGE benefit for a lot of people who are always on the move.

I don't know how long it will take before we get it, but it's by no means an impossible or unwarranted piece of gear. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I can bet it will be desired, even if it had a price point of say $1,000 - $1,500. That would be pushing my wallet a little thin, but that $600 I spent on a MK1 Maschine was paid off not long after the fact of me getting it, and I'm not even a beat maker/producer by profession. Music does play a big role in my personal business outside the 9 to 5.

Native Instruments has a great chance to introduce some great new gear that can appeal to a more minimal workflow and I can't wait to see it come to life!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Faramis

Faramis New Member

the argument of the battery I do not believe in it too much, unless iam homeless I do not see the interest. In addition I don't see myself typing rhythms with an mpc at 800 euros in the metro or the bus here in Paris.the advantage of this autonomous mpc is to have a drum machine with an os entirely dedicated to music or using it as a controller and taking advantage of the power of the cpu and the amount of ram of a computer.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I personally think the MPC-X actually proved the point that standalone is a flawed concept. It works much better connected to a computer, and that's always going to be the case. I'd rather have something whose power, storage, etc. increased with my computer upgrades rather than something stuck at the status of fairly cheap embedded systems the year of manufacture.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Precisely. This is a big reason why I like the concept of 'Native' Instruments that run on a PC so you can take advantage of ever-improving computers that you'll be upgrading anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Black Gekko

Black Gekko New Member

I switched from Maschine to MPC Live 3 month ago, never used an MPC before. Best decision I ever made - I don’t use it as much standalone as I thought (because of my VST library) but the portability is awesome und you can get a lot of things done standalone.

so from my humble opinion: the MPC live and probably also the one beats the MK3

17. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass NI Product Owner

I disagree. If you put a decent CPU in them and made RAM and SSD upgradable you could offer a future proof standalone Maschine. I use Maschine with a 5-year-old computer tucked underneath with no issue.

I think for that low price I am going to snag a One or a used Live. I have been multi-sampling instruments with Maschine and it is stupid time-consuming. MPC has an autosampler with velocity layers that is so quick and easy to use. Auto-sampler + experiencing MPC ecosystem seems like a fun idea.

I keep finding things I wish I could do in Maschine that can be done in MPC, I am interested to see if maybe MPC is tailored more or less to what I want.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

These are valid observations. I wonder if Akai owns Splice and is subsidizing hardware prices with SaaS subscriptions? I am not sure about logistics, but it seems like it would be more expensive to have 1 unit having different CPU than an entire line sharing the same configuration. I am actually going to reach out to Akai and ask,

19. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No... Akai doesn't own sub-brands afaik. Akai went bankrupt in 2005 and was bought by Jack O'Donnell (Numark, Alesis, etc..) a few years later it became one of the many brands of InMusic, all bought by O'Donnell.
    It's just a collab/integration afaik, Splice is not like Sounds.com, Steve Martocci (Splice's CEO) sold his previous startup to Microsoft for 80+ million, his general background is software/tech, not specifically Music stuff.

• Like Like x 2