2018 and yet again NO Guitar Rig update

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by tubeaudiogear, Sep 7, 2018.

1. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

You could but you'd have to do a fair bit of presets to accomodate all the tunes you expect to play. Or you have some kind of pedal board that can control GR. Imagine in the middle of a gig and you have to tweak something. You run back to the computer, grab the mouse or use the trackpad and make changes, all the time hoping you don't drop your pick on the floor.

Of course an interface that lets you dial in low buffer values. And a decent playback system that doesn't limit frequency response aka a full range flat response (FRFR) system.

2. BadMucker111

BadMucker111 New Member

I actually used to use GR5 as my rig. I actually used an Actiion USB midi foot controller to turn off effects within a patch. And since there were 12 footswitches i could use 2 to go up and down within presets. I don't really use the amps live. For live I use my tube amp, but use GR5 as a multieffects.

3. antknee

antknee New Member

Yeah i agree. I am testing out a bunch of amp sims. I really like GR but I don't think I will shell out the $$ if the app is updated so rarely. Even if they do update to 6, who the hell knows when/if any other updates will follow!

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Because GR is great at effects, but honestly not very good as ampsim (as far as accuracy, dynamics, picking response). So it's a natural thing to use it as a giant FX rack - which it really is great at!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. jackn2mpu

No argument there even though they don't model or acknowledge they model well known effects. Not that that's bad because though a certain other developer (IKMM) admits that what they model their models don't even begin to come close to the real thing. I'd rather have a great sound then a model that sucks. And I've played through a boatload of h/w effects on my ever changing pedalboard. Now if I could get a decent foot controller for GR5 I'd be happy. Especially if it has a decent foot pedal for wah.

6. EvilDragon

Not cheap, but L6 Helix hardware is top-notch.

7. jackn2mpu

Isn't that a dsp unit which would obviate the need for GR5?

8. EvilDragon

Yes but I'm purely talking about the quality of its switches and pedal, which is top-notch. Yes it's pricey, but yes, it can also be used as a MIDI controller (AFAIK).

9. theguitarist

theguitarist NI Product Owner

I am sure there will be a new version next year

10. Crazylynton

Crazylynton NI Product Owner

11. Crazylynton

And people will keep on falling for the Emperor's New Clothes ...... because "it sounds better"....LOL

12. EvilDragon

Well, Kemper does sound better :)

13. Crazylynton

Modeling involves intensive floating point calcs. I remember when Fractal came out with the Axe FX II. They added a second TigerSHARC DSP. There were lots of complaints that it was quite easy to bring this device to its knees.
    Two TigerSHARCS, at best will muster 1.9 GFLOPS (billions of floating-point calcs/sec). The last time I checked, a modest i5 can muster 5.7 GFLOPS.
    From what I have been able to ascertain, the Kemper only has a single TigerSHARC DSP. Why TigerSHARC? Because they come with pre-written code libraries for audio processing.

Both those units and now Helix, IMO, are nothing more than software sims, wrapped in an expensive dongle.

Pull the guts out and mount them in a crappy wooden box and the general concensus would be "sounds like crap" :)

14. wblackledg

wblackledg NI Product Owner

I'll bet the Mueller investigation doesn't take as long.. :p

15. EvilDragon

Of course, hardware modelers are also running software. Nobody's saying otherwise. They do have inputs calibrated properly for guitar, though, which is something that can be a bit of a guessing game with your usual audio interface (because no, just plugging into a Hi-Z input is not enough - you need to know which ampsim plugin expects which input level to sound properly, instead of flat and overgained or wimpy and noisy).

Kemper is not really doing modeling, though, compared to pretty much any other HW/SW amp simulator. It's a different tech entirely, that's why they can get away with using just a single TigerSHARC.

(BTW those 5.7 GFLOPS an average i5 has are not all used for the single task at hand that a hardware modeler has. OS steals some, background apps and services steal some... etc.)

16. Crazylynton

LMAO.....even that will be about the most convincing BS-er.

17. Crazylynton

EvilDragon...good points but when not modeling, my dedicated i5 (Panasonic Toughbook) shows pretty much 0% CPU usage.

18. theguitarist

theguitarist NI Product Owner

Kemper sounds more authentic

19. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

Kemper does it!
    For FX I still use Guitar Rig .

20. ZeroEmpire

ZeroEmpire NI Product Owner

If it works for you then by all means use it. Sometimes Updates cause more problems than they solve, so if it's stable for you on your system then I say go for it.