2018 and yet again NO Guitar Rig update

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by tubeaudiogear, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

BadMucker111

From my experience the recommended specs are the REAL minimum for most software and the load times are influenced by several things, HDD vs SSD, CPU, RAM, chipset, etc..

That‘s why I chose a Macbook Pro in 2015 ... fast i7, 16 GB RAM and a very fast SSD. My i5 Surface is a pure nightmare in comparison ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Yup. BIAS should be more resources intensive and heavy than GR. Its newer and a larger footprint on the system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZeroEmpire

ZeroEmpire NI Product Owner

I’ve got almost all of the Positive Grid stuff . FX 1 & 2 Amp 2 , Pedal & compressors.

I”m running it on an 8th gen i7 512 MB SSD, 1 TB HD & 32 GB ram.

All there software is slow to load. Not 30 sec. slow but slower
    Than almost anything else I use.

It’s also occasionally buggy, usually in the Graphics dept.

GUitar Rig is always Rock Solid!

Don’t get me wrong I like the PG stuff I just wish they would get the bugs worked out

• Like Like x 1
  4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

For example, all the device and memory management stuff is something DSPs usually don't need to worry about. They just do their DSP operations as instructed by the firmware and that's it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BadMucker111

BadMucker111 New Member

That's a really good point EvilDragon. Maybe that's why Positive grid came out with all of those hardware devices.
    Like Bias Pro & Twin, Modulation, Delay, Distortion? I have yet to try these out, but I have to say i'm curious as to how good these might be. I mean the message I get here is leave BIAS FX etc.. in the studio and maybe try out the hardware stuff for live. I just get the feeling that even tho GR5 is old by today's standards it could still do great as a backup if your main rig goes down or you blow a tube on an amp or some kind of disaster like that, you can just bust our GR5 in a few minutes and be up and running with a similar rig.(not perfect but it is something)

6. Crazylynton

Crazylynton NI Product Owner

My take on the hardware thing:

Cliff, the owner of Fractal and creator of the Axe FX, openly stated that he wasn't interested in creating plug-ins, not for technical reasons but because they get pirated.

Hence, both the Axe FX and the Kemper are software sims, embedded in an expensive hardware dongle.

Windows gets a bad rap because one can load any old garbage app that can misbehave and create an unstable environment.

When single-purposed, Windows is rock-solid.

There are untold numbers of critical production lines, running 24/7 where downtime is not an option....directly controlled by a dedicated Windows platform.
    Siemens, Beckhoff, Kuka Robotics.....the full list is HUGE.

I started out with NI in the early Reaktor days...Today? Hmmm, seems like they have a good selection of nice hardware to offer. Go figure :)

And check out the attraction of the TigerSHARC DSP as used in both the Axe FX and Kemper...They come with pre-written audio processing libraries, meaning that the heavy lifting has already been done.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

And I think, this is the main reason, why PG also started to release hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crazylynton

Early days yet for my W10 tablet BUT if I can rely on this thing with its USB 3 and HDMI ports, heck I'm buying a backup. GB£180....Not interested in proprietary hardware because I would have to have two of everything.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EvilDragon

And NI hardware still probably doesn't sell as well as Komplete. Go figure ;)

10. BadMucker111

BadMucker111 New Member

U are a gentleman and a scholar. Two of everything is a must. 2 Kempers or 2 Axe FX would be getting a bit spendy$$$ So I agree maybe the tablet route could do ya.;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crazylynton

The fact that they even bother with hardware is a clue. I can write code all day long but realising a hardware product? Yes I do this but it involves orders of magnitude of effort and cost....But then you only stated "probably", not "factually".

Revalver 4 has rave reviews and I am impressed with their (poor mans Kemper) ACT (audio cloning technology)...How many years since it was introduced?
    They prefer to sell hardware and perpetuate the associated myths of "warm/creamy/buttery" tubes...LOL

Gullible, purist luddites = $$$$$

LOL, thank you.
    It doesn't end there, I take two identical guitars, just in case of a string breaking. Tuning during a performance? Doesn't happen...I made the often ridiculed Peavey AT-200 work for me; built-in autotune (even the Variax doesn't do this) and rapid switching to alternate tunings. I want a guitar that gets the job done, not a fancy piece of furniture :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. EvilDragon

Well I do have facts but I cannot state them in public as a definitive statement, for certain reasons ;)

13. Crazylynton

Hardly Wikileaks material but it's good to know that they are making money selling software.
    I am really grateful to all who gave us this alternative to dedicated hardware boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

I said it over a year ago: NI has abandoned Guitar Rig.

And today there is no evidence to the contrary.

Still waiting for the "Dear John" oops, er I mean the "Dear Kore User", oops, er I mean the "Hey you people, thank you for your loyalty over the years. We're going to make up for the decade-long delay by killing it" love note. It will go on to say, "You're welcome; now please worship us by buying our latest version of Maschine!". It will happen. Nobody goes for 10 years without an update. This isn't an "Incredibles" movie.

I agree that GR wasn't necessarily "accurate sounding", but that never mattered to me because I'm not a purist, never have been. In fact, if somebody famous uses Marshall, I kind of want to avoid it. I hate famous people anyway. I'm such a "people person". :D

But Guitar Rig does need a fresh update, with a more usable and fully scalable interface. But at this point, I'm certain it's a dead man walking.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rponcher

rponcher NI Product Owner

What about Duke Nukem Forever? Ok, maybe not the best example.

16. Crazylynton

Graphics:

This is just speculation on my part.

It appears that a good number of sim developers use Knobman to create their photo-realistic graphic elements, one can use this amazing tool, free of charge.

The problem is that you decide you wanna increase/decrease the size of a particular element or make a change to some other property......it takes forever and a day to re-render.

When, say a numbered dial is rotated, an entire dial image is replaced with another and another and another to provide the animation effect.

17. Crazylynton

18. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Whilst nice looking, this is one of the reasons I particularly like the JSFX in Reaper; it uses existing UI elements within the operating system, and it gets the job done. The eye-candy doesn't make things sound any better, and just creates needless overhead for the user, and technical debt for the dev in rendering it. Give me a flat, vector-based UI any day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Crazylynton

That's funny because I was going to use the exact same JSFX as an example.

But show that to a purist and you'll get "sounds like cr@p, sounds digital".

And yet a "vintage" standalone fuzzbox with a square wave output (aka digital), still commands a hefty price...LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

What I'm hoping is that as the generation that works with a primarily digital rig becomes the main target demographic for products (as is already happening), manufacturers and developers are going to need to lean less on skeuomorphic design that looks like the hardware studio owners of yesteryear were already familiar with, and more on what best suits a computer-based workflow for productivity and accessibility. The worst are the spinning reels on a few plugins, those are incredibly distracting...

• Like Like x 1