2018 and yet again NO Guitar Rig update

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by tubeaudiogear, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Crazylynton

Crazylynton NI Product Owner

I guess the graphics provide a quick visual indication of what was selected...so not totally useless but were they ever intended to be "usable"? Mapping to a MIDI controller is my preference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crazylynton

Crazylynton NI Product Owner

LOL, wasn't even searching for GR5 but this was on my YouTube Home.

Read the comments....what can be so bad about GR5?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

I haven't heard any AC30 this evil distorted yet. For me it sounds nice and juice with my phone speakers.

4. grlover

grlover New Member

I am very disappointed of NI, GR5 has been with me for years, despite having quality amplifiers and pedals, but to practice at home was simply perfect, i probe amplitube or Bias, but GR5 is most simply easier and more intuitive. I have replaced it with this toy that can be used at home and live and sounds really great. but I will always miss the GR.

the question is ... now what I do with this ??
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  5. Russellmus

Russellmus New Member

You can always give it to me,

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Kostas1

Kostas1 NI Product Owner

No Rig update, no Rig update... I'm not even sure what you want? Everything works (almost) without any bugs, features are extended, rich. What new module you wish to see? I can't think of one. Well, if you can think of a new module, I'd be interested.
    I'm okay with GR as long as it's not discontinued... oh my:eek: no not gonna happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oscar Morante

Oscar Morante New Member

I would like to see models of the Klon Centaur and Timmy overdrive. These are pretty common pedals nowadays and they are available in most software modelers but not in GR.

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

They don't need to add new models, but improve modeling of all existing ones to match or surpass the competition, which all overran GR in modeling quality years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

just curious, when we are looking at the technical specs of the various software solutions from the likes of IK Multimedia, BIAS and so on, what sorts of things should we pay attention to as indicators that there has been advances in the software technology? 24bit & 192k for interface .. but what to look for in the software/DSP as far as functionality to be able to tell whether there are advances in the product compare to other products out there? How does one compare Positive Grid BIAS to something like the DSP's in UA Arrow interface?

I am a GR 5 user as its included in my setup and have been for a long time. It has a "unique" sound which is as best as I can describe it. GR 5 sounds on par to the BOSS COSM DSP stuff included in the v-studio 20, but GR is better in that you can get much more diverse and unique sounds out of it. But its not that good as sim and modelling to my ears as others. When it comes to accurate sim and modelling, GR 5 does sound weak compared to competition that I have tried and compared it to. BIAS and IK Multimedia.. Hell, even recently as I was tinkering with Ableton Live 10, I tried their included guitar plugins and even those sounded better to my ears than GR. Better is a highly subjective term and I think it all depends what sorts of sound you are going after..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
  10. EvilDragon

Just by playing them and hearing them out? :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Oscar Morante

Oscar Morante New Member

A complete rewrite is much less likely to happen than adding a couple of models using the same tech. I personally don't consider Helix/BIAS/etc. worth the extra cpu cost, so I would be really happy to see a smaller update.

12. Kostas1

Kostas1 NI Product Owner

Okay, I don't mind. Being totally unfamiliar with pedal (guitar) world, I welcome the enlargement of fx palette.

13. rponcher

rponcher NI Product Owner

The quality of amp models is my main complaint.

Behind that, I am not that crazy about the included choruses. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for them to throw in a couple of the models from Choral.

And any guitarist is going to feel that the one obscure pedal they had in their hardware rig is essential and should be modeled by everyone.

14. telecode101

15. EvilDragon

It didn't impress me personally.

16. telecode101

I don't know. Maybe I just need to try some new products. To my ears none of this stuff sounds like the real thing like a real amp and pedals. I am uset to GR5 and I accept it as its not the real thing and I dont waste time trying to make it sound real, i tweak the sounds so it sounds a little out there. Some of that stuff in it like the container allows me to create sounds I could never do with my real rig -- so thats what I focus on.

I started to research the Sono. I like the idea of having a little audio interface thingy that is dedicated for guitar and has physical dials to tweak sounds. I just need to hear what it sounds like. I dont want to have another V-studio 20 experience. Big waste of money. I just bought it because I was a BOSS fanboy and thought I could get away with getting those sounds on a smaller footprint in my home studio. Didnt work out that way.

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/sono/overview/

17. EvilDragon

No, but that's not the point of ampsims. The point of ampsims is to recreate the final, recorded sound (with as much nuance and response to your picking matching the modelled amp as closely as possible), after miking the cab and all, rather than convey to you the feeling of a big tube amp in a room farting behind your back. :)

• Like Like x 2