3.2 Harmonic Mixing Update

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Brian J., Jun 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

1. Brian J.

Brian J. NI Product Owner

Big fan of harmonic mixing! I’m glad NI is putting an effort toward this.. However, Traktor key detection algorithm is a far cry compared to MIK. Which beg the question.. Will this update support mixing in key at all?

Opinions?

2. Reverend Roberts

Reverend Roberts NI Product Owner

I have just started running some tests this week with MIK and Traktors key detection to see which one I want to use. I have been using approx 12,000 tunes and so far have compared about 10% of it (2 keys). There has been about 25% difference in the results between the two.
    Even though people say that MIK is supposed to be better that Traktors key detection, I did find that on the differences Traktors algorithm did seem to sound better on the mix. I also play some riffs on synths and keyboards Maschine/Kontact and so far Traktors Keys seem to fit in better with the scales.
    In conclusion at the moment I am swaying towards Traktors but as it is all analysed with MIK at the moment I will run it for a week or so and see which seems better.

To use MIK in Traktor import the MIK analysed tunes, and run Traktors analysis but uncheck the key box and it will import it in all fine, beatgrid it but leave MIKs keys.

3. radiokrishna

radiokrishna NI Product Owner

I analyze all new tracks through "Mixed in Key", but it writes data to Traktor in Open Key notation (Traktor's native format). In addition, the "Key Text" field contains the keys in the original notation. To apply the changes made in MIK, it is enough to make a Check Consistency in the Traktor.

For visual display, I prefer the Traktor's native format (1m, 1d), and find it more logical and easy to remember than the MIK's format (8A, 8B).

4. radiokrishna

radiokrishna NI Product Owner

I'm more concerned with the new concept of "Adjacent" Keys. I would like to get from the developers a description or instructions on how to use them.

5. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

New concept?

Check the MiK site, mate. Loads of info there.

6. Brian J.

Brian J. NI Product Owner

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear. Let me rephrase: I know how to use MIK with Traktor very well. Not that is difficult. I was just wondering if this new Traktor update supports MIK key detection natively. As it stands, Traktor algorithm is pretty bad compared to mixed in key..

My point is all of this new features are nice but pretty much useless if the key detection is not reliable.

Thoughts?

7. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

No. MiK is completely separate and will not be “supported natively”.

Why do you care, though, if you know and have MiK?

MiK is infinitely better than TP2 & TP3 for detecting keys. So just use MiK?

Are talking about the notation used? (Musical vs. Open Key?)