New [3.4.0.160] potential showstopper - jumping from loop cue point to cue point can stop music

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by alec.tron, Jul 5, 2020.

1. alec.tron

alec.tron NI Product Owner

Was meant to record a mix today. Switched to 3.4.0.160 a few days ago.
    Turns out there's a bug I haven't seen and can reproduce reliably with a single track that used to play fine in previous Traktor versions.
    Essentially:

Version and Setup:
    • TPro 3.4.0.160
    • S4 mk3
    • Joe's S4 Mod, v 2.9
    Reproduction Steps:
    • Play Loop type cue point (32 bars at the end of a 5 minute long track) and loop over 1+ times.
    • Then jump to another standard type cue point
    • Then:
    Observed Results:
    • Traktor, on the given track, then plays the first 0.25 seconds of the cue point jumped to, then audio glitches and stops audibly (i.e. no sound anymore after a few glitched on/off/on/off sounds)
    • After which the waveform in UI turns blurry, but keeps playing, but no music comes out = Showstopper!
    • You can then still jump between cue points, and the waveform in the UI is jumping to the cue point position, but no consitent sound is going through the mixers channel whatsoever (in software nor on hardware), and the waveform is still blurry and never adjusts back to being sharp.
    • There were instances where hitting a few more cue points right after this happpend to produce a similar digital glitch sound, but out of 10 cue point jumps (within the first 3-4 seconds of this happening) 3-5 might produce another few glitchy audio death sounds.... but music will stop completely within a few seconds
    • Reloading the same track seems to fix this, and it's possible to play or hit cue points and hear the audio again
    • after a reload the waveform renders sharp/ not-blurry again as well.
    • Rinse & repeat. The above is 100% reproducible with a single track that used to play fine in previous Traktor versions.
    Expected Results
    • To not mangle/glitch the audio, not to stop playing audio when jumping to a cue point
    • To not blur the waveform

Info Needed:
    Where do I send the track to (as it's a large flac file...)?

I did try to recreate this on another track (of similar length, and the same codec - flac in this case) and setting the 32 bar lop at the end to test, but no luck so far to trigger this with 4 other tracks I've tried to reproduce this with...

Just a heads up to others as well as this would have ruined a live set - should this affect others too...

Cheers.
    c.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. c0nsul

c0nsul NI Product Owner

So, it is just one single track which triggers this behavior?

I tried to reproduce the bug with different tracks (mp3 & m4a), but my installation of TP 3.4.0.160 works fine.

3. alec.tron

Yea, I fail to reproduce it with anything else. Or even with the same track, with a loop from another position. Really odd.
    I'll send the track to NI once they get back to me and see if they can reproduce it with the same track at least.
    c.

4. alec.tron

Hello Sander @ NI - did you have a chance to look at the file I sent on the 8th ? And did it exhibit the same behaviour on your end too ?
    Cheers.
    c.

5. Sander @ NI

Sander @ NI NI Team NI Team

I only checked on Mac and was not able to reproduce. As you know its summer holiday here and I have been out most of the time. When I get to it I will let you know.

Best
    Sander

6. alec.tron

How/why would I know you're on summer holidays...?
    (Opinion: Bit of a bizarre statement/accusation that one...)

Facts: I flagged a bug which for me falls into the show stopper category. Inquiring again after ~10 days of silence on this I wouldn't consider unreasonable.
    But, I won't ping this again then, and wait until a new beta is released, or you "get to it".
    Easy peasy.

Also, some more info regarding the actual issue:
    Removing the T4 metadata field of the file in question, the issue re-occurs as soon as one sets a loop cue point around the 2nd half of the file again - i.e. as soon one then runs a loop 2+ times, and is jumping out of the loop to a normal cue point at the beginning of the file, the cached/in-memory audio file corrupts itself, the wave view in T3 becomes blurry, and only plays as audio glitches briefly, and not at all thereafter. Reloading the same track still makes it playable again.
    I also have a video recording of it happening, from when I flagged it the first time, but it's too large to upload it here, and probably wouldn't help (?). If you want that and think this is helpful, let me know.

Cheers.
    c.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

I've now confirmed this exact showstopper issue, including ALL side-simptoms like the blurry waveform.

My system is quite different:
    * traktor 3.4.0.181,
    * windows 10,
    * internal sound card (realtek audio WASAPI)

While this only happens with this very specific flac (attached to https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/whats-next.329901/page-11#post-1968273 ), I urge NI to check exactly why this happens.

----
    reason: last year I found a 26 milliseconds time shift in a single file when converting cues between rekordbox to traktor.
    Later, this revealed to be the tip of a huge iceberg that affected hundreds of my files.
    https://github.com/digital-dj-tools/dj-data-converter/issues/3

8. Sander @ NI

Yes confirmed the bug in house. The issue was already there since TPRO 2.x. We will try to fix it for 3.4.

Best
    Sander

9. alec.tron

Hi. Can you give us an idea/understanding as to why this would happen only on specific files ?
    And if there's anything we can do on/with the affected files to circumvent this showstopping bug once it happens ?
    Thanks.
    c.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sander @ NI

A developer still has to debug this so I am not able to give you the information you ask for. Sorry.

Best
    Sander

• Like Like x 1
  11. alec.tron

No worries, if you find out more though, it would be grand if you could share the details (teach a man how to fish, and all that jazz).
    Cheers.
    c.