1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kokernutz, Sep 2, 2020.

1. kokernutz

kokernutz NI Product Owner

Great job with the UI tweaks!

I don't have a negative visceral reaction using the browser anymore. ;)

Increasing the contrast and making the magnifying glass only appear on hover make it far more legible for my old eyes.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Andre Langenfeld

Andre Langenfeld Member

nice!

first look is great, so far I like all the changes - only the "Sidebar Tree Item Height" is something I had no problem with before

"Show Magnifying Glass only on hover" - more space on smaller screens! so simple, why hasn't anyone thought of it before?!

one question: "Added: Change Tracklist font brightness" - is this something I can tune? and if - how? can't find anything in the settings

what about the track info in the decks - looks now a dimmed in comparison

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flo @ NI

Flo @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hey Andre,
    thanks for the feedback :) let me try to answer your questions as good as possible.

Tree Item Height
    We increased the Tree Item Height to give the browser more room to breath and improve the focus on each entry when going through a bigger list, especially in a situation where you have to find that one playlist you want to head over to while performing. This is something we could also see as a customisable setting, so you could find your own sweetspot.

Font Brightness
    Unfortunately this cant be tweaked or customised for now. We increased the brightness of the font to improve readability especially in a "laptop on the side of my setup" usecase. I'll keep this in mind tho for future "customisation" topics in the team.

Track Info In Decks
    Good input as well. Will note that

• Like Like x 2
  4. Andre Langenfeld

Andre Langenfeld Member

something else. when i thought I could change the brightness of the font and looked for it in the browser settings, I played around with the font and row size and had a strange glitch. the playlist I was in showed some tracks with the new brightness but others still with the old. unfortunately I cannot reproduce it, I tried immediately

but since that happened I've been thinking what I could do with the two different brightness levels

first, obviously, the Serato mode, where all the played tracks are automatically „un-highlighted“ - one of the Serato features I’m really jealous of. it would also be interesting to be able to “un-bright" a row (or some, since this Beta can do it with Colors). with the new brightness level I would use “un-bright" as an option for tracks in a playlist I am sure of I will not play. or a manually “Serato" version, “un-bright" tracks I already played by hand - for the best workflow with the ability of mapping it to a button or key

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Andre Langenfeld

Andre Langenfeld Member

hey, do I see that correctly, the brightness in the "Beta 3.4.0.233 Uploaded (Release Candidate)" is now less bright than it is in 3.4.220? what a pity, I found that 220 bright level very good, because I was able to keep the general brightness of my screen at a normal level - definitely an improvement. I also got so used to it in the short test time that with the new Beta I thought something is wrong with the brightness o_O.

I hereby vote for a "font brightness preference option"!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Flo @ NI

Flo @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hey Andre

thanks for checking 233 :) Yep thats correct we decreased the font brightness again to match the deck header, since the browser overruled everything else happening in the GUI. We also extensively tested the increased brightness in a regular, darker usecase environment and got the feedback that it it just took much strain on the eyes.

Unfortunately we cant cover all environments at the moment, so we focus on the regular "performing" situations in a darker environment, where your eyes adjust to lower contrasts.
    Nevertheless adjustable themes for different environments will come in the future for sure and will help each user to find the sweet spot for the respective environment or usecase

• Like Like x 2
  7. Andre Langenfeld

Andre Langenfeld Member

yes, I thought that it could be too much for many, but I also no longer have the best eyes - my screen brightness when I use Traktor is always at 100%

but I just wanted to report that, interestingly, in 220 I had no problems with the other GUI elements with a rather moderate screen brightness (because I could read the track information so easily in the browser). and I also worked for several hours at night

but I don't want to complain, 223 is still brighter than anything before 220

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wayfinder

wayfinder NI Product Owner

may I cheekily suggest... :)

upload_2020-9-22_0-15-53.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

10. wayfinder

wayfinder NI Product Owner

I'm using an app called NegativeScreen which has a mode that will only invert the brightness and keep the hues as they are - note how the VU meter is still green, yellow, red :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1